Author Topic: Things that make you go AAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!  (Read 8086 times)

GYPSY JAZMINE

Things that make you go AAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!
« on: May 09, 2005, 10:23:16 pm »
We have 8 cats, 2 house bunnies, a guinea pig & our Pyr Samson here in our house...Earlie r this evening my almost 8 yr. old son was agitating Samson which he has been told many many times not to do....By agitating I just mean playing too hard...I, out of frustration because I had to rescue my son AGAIN, said, "That's it!...If you don't do as we learned in puppy class the dog has to go"...It was an empty threat but both of my kids faces just crumpled & they sobbed. :-[  I didn't mean it at all...It just was one of those end of the day I've had it comments...Whe n I asked why they reacted that way but seem not to care so much about our other critters my son said, "Mom, it's because he's like our real brother"...I will NEVER say anything like that again!

Offline bigpawsadmin

• Michael~
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Dog Chomper
  • This is Bear
    • View Profile
    • Website - www.michaelandjaime.com
Re: Things that make you go AAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 10:35:04 pm »
They are! How endearing~
Just trying to keep the bugs off the board!

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 10:24:52 am »
Gypsy,

What a lovely picture of your Samson, brother to your kids!  I loved the story but I can imagine how your kids felt and even more, how you felt when you saw their faces.  It's easy to crush kids without realizing it and we've all done it at one point or another.  Chin up girl.  I bet you made them realize that they needed to quit that particular behavior and it was an important lesson for them to learn.

Our 4 leggeds are such an important part of our lives.  I think I can tell you why.

In the days prior to the creation of the Cherokee Alphabet (the talking leaves), the Cherokee as well as many other native peoples, handed down their stories like the one below, by word of mouth.  The "storytellers" were taught to repeat the stories "exactly" as it was passed to them by the ancestors.  Being Cherokee myself, I recognized in "The Legend" a similar type of story as my ancestors told to me.  When I contacted the author to request permission to post this story, I was told she is in fact of Cherokee descent.  The story however is an original creation based on her learning as a child.  It is done so beautifully, that I wanted to share it with you all. (Strict Copywrite enforced).

THE LEGEND

To the casual observer, the scene appeared to be nothing more than a young boy sitting with an ancient Indian. If one looked closer, the adoration in the boy's eyes might have given away the fact that the old Indian was his Grandfather.

In his nine summers the boy had learned patience. He recognized that the Grandfather had taught him this virtue, but he could not remember exactly when he had taken that knowledge of patience into his heart. He felt sure it had been while listening to one of the Grandfather's legends, but he could not remember specifically which one. For an Indian boy of nine summers, many of the legends melded within his mind and were remembered as one.

The boy sat quietly waiting for the Grandfather to speak  -  though not really waiting. To the young Indian, it felt more like experiencing the same time and space as the Grandfather. Reflected in his eyes, and far exceeding his age, was the depth of love and respect the grandson felt for his ancient Grandfather.

Although the Grandfather never physically moved, the boy knew the old Indian was going to speak. "Today we will speak of the choice."

For a time the Grandfather did not speak, yet the boy felt no urge to question him. Long ago he had learned that all things came in their own time. Moments without speaking gave one time to prepare for what would come. More importantly, these quiet moments gave one time to examine and understand what was already here.

Outwardly undetectable was the ancient Indian's assessment of his grandson's readiness to receive this additional knowledge. He has prepared himself well, thought the old one; so he continued. "It was the time when the Earth was new and man was young. Man was but one of the Great Spirit's many animals. He had not yet become human. It happened during a time when the moon was full, the days were warm and all animals content."

As the ancient Indian continued, the boy shifted slightly so that he could better see into the deeply wrinkled face of his Grandfather. "The Great Spirit called to the dogs. When they approached, the joy of being summoned was present in their eyes. In a manner that only the dogs could hear, the Great Spirit began to speak. 'I will speak with you of your future. There is a choice to be made and you who are known as dog must make it. As in all things, there cannot be many leaders. To survive and to prosper there must be but one who leads.'"

The ancient Indian hesitated for a moment, then continued. "The dogs gathered closer to the Great Spirit"  -  he confided  -  "for they knew that the most important moment in their existence was at hand. After they settled themselves, the Great Spirit continued. 'The time has come to create the leader of all animals. This is one choice I offer to you, the dog. You have been given all which is necessary to be a leader.

'Now I will tell you of the second choice. The animal known as man possesses many of the abilities that are needed to be a good leader. But he does not possess that which would make him a great leader. What man lacks belongs to you, the dogs  - and is carried safely within your hearts. The second of your choices is to allow man to be the leader. If he is to lead well, man will need the dog; so you must live at his side and teach him that which he has not mastered. If you choose to take man into your heart, then both dog and man would become greater.'"

The young boy wondered at this and wanted to know how this could be, yet he was content to wait for the answer. The Grandfather noted the slight furrowing in his grandson's brow and was pleased. The tone of the ancient Indian's voice lowered slightly as he went on. "At that moment the Great Spirit touched the essence of the dogs and knew that He had created well.

"All of the dogs intently watched the Great Spirit as He spoke, 'If your choice is to allow man to lead, then you will live at his side and teach him of loyalty and perfect love. But know that with this choice will come many changes. Changes so vast that, in time, many will not even remember that you are of the dog.'

'To not be recognized as the dog will be a great burden and is only to be born by a few  -  those few who will live apart from man. There is a special task which must be performed only by dogs that do not live with man. This task has great importance because it will allow man to experience loyalty. You, who are chosen for this task, will trim man's herds and flocks of their weak and sick; thus making them stronger. For your service man will view you as his enemy  -  after all, he is only man. But do not let this weigh heavy on your hearts. Carry this burden well and man will know of loyalty - for the rest of your brothers will protect the very herds and flocks which you seek to trim.

'All dogs living at man's side will have vast and numerous tasks. If you are to accomplish these tasks, it will become necessary to change your bodies. Some of you will grow much larger and stronger. It will be your task to show man loyalty and perfect love by helping him in his daily toils and protecting him from all who seek to harm him. Others will grow smaller and be suited for sounding alarm and ridding man of the tiny animals that he considers a threat. Many will become a size in between and you will help man find and take the meat he needs to survive. Finally, some will become little. Your size and appearance will become such that man will find you appealing and take you into his heart even though you are unable to perform great physical tasks.'"

The Grandfather stopped speaking but the boy did not seem to notice, he was so lost in thought. The old Indian waited. When he felt his grandson's attention return, the ancient Indian began again with a reverence for this legend evident in his voice. "The dogs patiently sat near the Great Spirit and waited for Him to speak again. The Great Spirit told the dogs of things which they had no knowledge but which were to become their very center and spirit. 'If you choose man's side as your future, then all of you will, in addition to your other tasks, show man perfect love. At times, when man's cruelty is directed at you  -  you will render no judgment of him. Instead you will show him unending acceptance and forgiveness. To enable you to survive, you will go to man's side with the power to see into his heart and soul  -  finding what is truly there. Make all of your decisions about man from this source of truth, for man is capable of deceptions which you do not understand. You will forgive him for this and all else. You will return forgiveness for his cruelty; love for his companionship; devotion for his kindness; loyalty for his love; protection for his care; your life  -  for his.'"

The ancient Indian peered at his grandson and asked, "Do you understand the two choices the Great Spirit offered the dogs?"

"Yes Grandfather. Did the dogs?", replied the boy.

"Yes, but there was more the dogs wanted to know, so one spoke for all. What was in their hearts was asked of the Great Spirit. 'We choose not to be the leader; instead we choose to live at man's side and show him all you have spoken of. There is but one thing that we do not understand. How will man learn? How will all that we show man  -  teach him?'"

When the Grandfather paused, the young Indian boy succumbed to his age and was unable to wait patiently for the answer. "Grandfather, what did the Great Spirit say?"

The ancient Indian's gaze moved slowly around the camp and came to rest upon a camp dog. The grandson followed the old Indian's gaze and looked in awe at the camp dog. While both young and old watched the dog sunning itself, the ancient Indian answered his grandson. "The Great Spirit began to fade away but before He was gone He said to the dogs, 'You will teach man and he will learn because you will let him believe that your choice  -  was his.'"

An Original Short Story by Pamela W. Rogers
Copyright © 1990 Pamela W. Rogers. All rights reserved.

This story is reproduced here with the permission of the author.

"The Legend" may not be reproduced in whole or in part without the
express written consent of the author.

The Original story may be found at this link.
http://www.creatureimages.com/

--
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 11:50:40 am »
Beautiful story, thanks for sharing!
Carolyn
Carolyn

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 01:49:42 pm »
Way cool!...Ty so much!!

Offline vonissk

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2005, 09:44:42 pm »
Hi Tanimara  What a beautiful story.  Thank you for sharing.  Nice to meet another Native American--I am Chickasaw from Southern Oklahoma.  In one of our legends we also have a dog that plays a big part.  Originally the Chickasaws and Choctaws were one tribe.  The 2 brothers Chata (Choctaw) and Chikasha (Chickasaw) couldn't decide on how to run things so Chikasha decided to take his followers and leave.  They had 2 very important things, a dog named Panti (pronounced pawn-tay) and this pole.  Panti helped them by hunting and protecting them.  The pole was placed in the ground at night and which ever way it leaned in the morning is the route they followed.  When they reached the Mississippi River they made their camp and the next morning the pole stood upright and they knew that would be their homeland.  Panti jumped into the river and drowned because he knew his job was done.  This story is not copyrighted or any of that because it has been passed down orally through the ages.  Minta

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 10:31:09 am »
Minta,

Wolf's registered name was Ilacom Spirit of the Wolf.  His memory and his grandson are both with me still.  Even his great grandsons which are 12 weeks old now.

Thank you so much for sending me that story.  I am collecting oral legends of the native peoples of all Nations for a website or book in the future.  I feel it's something that needs to be shared.  That's a long way down the road, but never-the-less I'll get it done.

Send me more if you know of any.

Jackie Wood
Tanimara Great Pyrenees
tanimara@townsqr.com
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux

Offline ting1sf

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2005, 12:36:13 pm »
What a great story.. I want to share it with my friends. Is there a link or site that has that story only? thanks for sharing :)
I rather love a dog than a human. Because you put  100% into a dog , you get 200% back. As for humans you sometimes you get nothing back.