Author Topic: Rocco doesn't like Boston Terriers  (Read 5848 times)

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
Rocco doesn't like Boston Terriers
« on: December 11, 2005, 09:43:47 am »
Last night, my roommates friend brought her very hyper, crazy little boston over to visit.  I knew Maia wouldn't do well at all so Maia got to go to bed with a bone and I thought Rocco will play with little Joey.  Well, all was going well until Rocco got overwhelmed with jumping, face nipping and craziness.  So, in an older dog settling a puppy fashion, he pinned Joey to the floor with his mouth and growled.  Well, I realized he wasn't going to hurt him but it freaked my roommate and her friend out.  I called Rocco of with a "leave it" he backed up sat by me and wagged his tail like he didn't just scared the poop out of two girls and the little dog. 

I know Rocco was acting normally for a dog but how to I prevent this in the future.  It didn't phase me because he would do it to Maia when she was younger and would try to show aggression towards me, other dogs, him or the cats.  I know without him teaching her like that she might have gotten out of hand.  Should I just let him do it to puppies or should I just keep him away?  What do you guys think?
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: Rocco doesn't like Boston Terriers
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 03:10:11 pm »
Well, me personally, I think that was a totally appropriate thing for him to do if he was telling the pup, enough is enough.  Maybe if you explained to them what he was doing, they would have understood a bit better?  Or maybe you did do that.

I think the best way for puppies to learn manners is from other dogs.  It bothers me some when owners get freaked out for a dog correcting their puppy for rough play.  Not that the boston was being rough, but the in your face attitude thing should be allowed to be corrected as well.  Other dogs may not be so nice or gentle.  I believe it is better for them to learn from a dog that you know won't hurt them, rather than run the risk with a dog they don't know.

As for him doing it to other dogs?  As long as you know, and are positive he won't hurt the other dog, I wouldn't worry about it too much.  If you think other people are going to have a huge problem with it, you can try to curb it, but it may also affect how he interacts with others if he is not allowed to tell them to knock it off.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 03:14:48 pm »
I'll tell you exactly how you prevent this from happening in the future: don't let your roommate bring the boston terrier over to play until she learns how to control it.

Her dog needs to learn manners and she needs to learn to pick up on cues that other dogs are giving her dog to avert something before it happens.

This was perfectly natural, acceptable, canine behavior. If Rocco had WANTED to hurt Joey, he would have. He didn't. He gave Joey the equivalent of a good spanking or a strong shove ("CUT IT OUT!").

Why don't you give your roommate's friend a book on dog behaviors & training for Christmas. She may appreciate it in the end - and Rocco will have a new playmate.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 04:09:50 pm »
You guys are great.  I should get the book, though I prefer banning small dogs.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 04:49:39 pm »
You guys are great.  I should get the book, though I prefer banning small dogs.

Small dogs are okay, it's the idiots that turn them into spoiled, undisciplined brats and expect everybody else to find their pain in the *ss dog's behaviour cute an funny. You could always get the book and hit the flattmate's friend over the head with it.  ;D

Dammit - it's all violence and ill will from me tonight, isn't it... *deep breath* goldenbeachesf luffybunniespr ettysunsetssce ntedflowers... I'll be okay in a minute.  ;D

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2005, 05:08:09 pm »
Sounds like Rocco is smarter than the small dogs owner to me :)  Like someone else said, if he had wanted to hurt the dog, I'm sure it would have been all over with.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2005, 05:11:38 pm »
Lady doesn't like Boston Terriers either.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2005, 05:32:37 pm »
I agree that Rocco did ther right thing. 

Last week I walked Chester down by the beach and he was attacked by a tea-cup che-wawa.  The owner laughed herself silly as her dog continued to bounce up and nip and Chester's nose.  Chester got down in his "wanna play stance" ( butt up, front down, tail wagging furiously) this dummy-doo-doo of woman cautioned me to not let Chester hurt her "Tiny".  I had to point out that Chester wasn't the one doing the biting!!!

I'm sure mojos have their sweet moments....the y just don't happen to have them when I have the big guys out!!!