Author Topic: ADVICE @ PETRA??? HELP!  (Read 41075 times)

smohr

Re: ADVICE @ PETRA??? HELP!
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2005, 09:28:06 pm »
:)  I promise myself, Petra and society that I'll do my very best for all involved, even if it is helping her cross the bridge to peace away from all the stresses.  I was thinking that sending her to another owner would be stressful and may be the breaking point in her heart.

She does love me and has shown it so many times even if she "forgets" herself sometimes and protects her food or me from someone I don't need protecting from.

She has cuddled with me, licked my face when I've cried over her or other reasons, tried so hard learning her commands and does them so well.

Petra's snoring in the night will be missed.  I wake up and shhhh her and she stops, rolls over and in about another hours snores again.  She barks and growls when my husband snores until he stops.  She only passes gas when she's lying beside my husband's chair.   :D   ::) 

She snorts at me -everytime- when I make cross-eyes at her - a game we play.  She pinch bites when I have her toy in tug of war. 

When I'm sitting on the floor, she plops her behind on my lap like a kid would and licks my face till I scratch above her tail.  If I stop, she tackles me.   :P

She captures (only) my husbands dirty socks and brings them to me like they are prizes.  She tries to bury them sometimes in her blanket in her cage (stinky ones.)

She gets in the bathtub and jumps up and down, splashing all the water out.  Then she carries her towel all over the house shaking it like it was the enemy that got her wet.

She has a leopard fur ball that has a squeaker in it and she walks around at times, following me, squeaking at me like she's talking to me.  She carries it like her security blanket and her talking device.  When I tell her to go to her bed when she's gotten into something, she grabs that ball and squeaks it all the way to her bed and looks at me squeaking that ball like she's arguing with me.

She loves raw onions and carrots but won't eat cooked chicken.  That must be the proof she has a screw loose.   :-\

I will miss her.  I have loved her even with her foibles and follies. 

I believe I know in my heart that she must be led to the bridge and I will be there with her, holding her, soothing her and saying I love her as she slips away.  It will be sooo hard. 

I really thank you ALL for your advice, guidance, sensible caring and comfort.  I'll let you know. 

YOU ARE ALL THE MOST WONDERFUL PEOPLE...

SHERRY - PETRA'S MOMMY

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2005, 10:38:54 pm »
I hope you get a good nights sleep, God knows you need it. It was a really great post and it sounds like you are a little more at peace. I hope thats the case.

Nighty night Sherry and Petra

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline MustLove Dogs

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2005, 11:05:54 pm »
Oh Sherry, that made me cry...

You are making the right decisions... for both of you.

God bless you and help you through this...

--Samson and Cooper
"The more boys I meet the more I like dogs"

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"

I'm blonde... whats your exc

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2005, 12:42:37 am »
No one should ever have to go through this or make these kinds of decisions.  I  am really sorry Smohr.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline nohesnotahorse

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2005, 11:28:27 am »
I really admire you; You have gone through he** and back to do right by this pup.  I have been following this saga since the beginning and every post you have made about this shows the concern in your heart for Petra.  I do not envy the position that you have been in throughout all of this but I truly look up to you for the courage and fortitude that you have displayed.  Godspeed to Petra and I wish you peace.  Thank you for letting us share this experience with you and grow by that.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2005, 05:03:48 pm by Jacksmom »
Tom, Overwhelmed, Overrun and Overruled by Feste, Chance and Puck!
'Aide toi et Dieu t'aidera.' (God helps those who help themselves.)
'Fortes fortuna juvat.' (Fortune favors the brave.)

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2005, 11:34:39 am »
As Petra's mommy you did what needed to be done and did not pass the responsibility to someone else.  My heart hurts knowing how difficult this must have been for you. 

Cindy

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2005, 11:37:13 am »
As I sit here and cry, I know that you did what was in your heart and that is all that matters. You've done all that you can. We love you Sherry and are here whenever you need us.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

cricket36580

« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2005, 01:19:07 pm »
I sit here and shed tears for you.  I can only imagine the heartbreak you must be experiencing.  You are now one of my heros...I don't know that I couldhave made a decision like that.  You did what was best for her and for everyone else.  Gosh, baby, I am SOOOO sorry.  Hugs....

k2campbell

« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2005, 03:08:49 pm »
Sherry, that was truly touching.  You are an amazing person!  ;)

I am so sorry for what you are feeling right now, my thoughts (and tears) are with you.  Please know that you gave Petra an EXCELLENT life, and she WILL INDEED be smiling down on you from the bridge. 

Take care of yourself please, get some rest and have sweet dreams of Petra running & playing at the bridge with her new-found puppy friends.  Petra KNOWS (and always will know) just how much you love her...

Sincerely,
Kelly

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2005, 05:47:59 pm »
After reading all these posts, Smohr you did the right thing.  I personally think it would have been a bad choice to give Petra to that guy.  It sounds like he needs a gun, not a dog.  If he's in that much danger with shady folks, no dog in the world will completely protect him.  He needs to move away from where he is and start over.  I feel for him because he was injured in the line of duty, but that is his fate and he needs to deal with it.  I'm very sorry you had to say goodbye to Petra, but you will always have the memories of her love, which nobody else may ever have known.  It may have been a much sadder ending had you made a different choice....  Good luck and think happy thoughts. 
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2005, 09:21:06 pm »
Sweetheart, bless you and Petra both. You've done your best for Petra all along and no dog can hope for more. With your endless perseverence, you've given her months of happiness and kindness that she would have otherwise never known. As long as you remember her as fondly as the portrait your last post depicted, she'll always be with you.

In time, I hope you share your love with another big paws in need of your help.

Must go - my keyboard is getting waterlogged here.

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2005, 10:26:56 am »
Sherry
Our thoughts are with you at this very difficult time. I cant even begin to imagine how hard this must be for you. Be strong!! You are a good person and are doing the right thing for Petra. It takes alot of love to make the decision to let her go on to a better place and everyone here knows that you love Pertra. Big HUGS!!
Coonie & Judge
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket