Author Topic: UPDATE! ANGUS IS INJURED!!!!!!!!!  (Read 7123 times)

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
UPDATE! ANGUS IS INJURED!!!!!!!!!
« on: December 13, 2005, 08:32:21 am »
Angus was running around the backyard last night (around 1:30am) when he went to jump over a small bank (only a foot high) and yelped just before he jumped and when he landed he started limping on his front leg. I have no idea how serious it is!! No emergency  vets in my area that I could find! He can put weight on his front leg but cannot lift it up very high (barely off the ground), I compared it to the other leg to see if there was swelling and there doesn't seem to be any. Also he let me touch the whole leg when I was checking it which I hope is a good sign. I think he hurt his shoulder. I'm in a bit of a panic over it all as I have to go out of town for 2 or 3 days at 11:00am today and have deadlines at work this morning so I couldn't get him to the vet and have to leave all that to my wife who will have trouble getting him in the van if he can't step up into it. I cannot believe this has happened. I won't know till tonight was the verdict is as I will be on the road! This sucks and now my job sucks too for sending me out of town!! >:(
« Last Edit: December 18, 2005, 12:03:28 am by AC »

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
Re: ANGUS IS INJURED!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 08:42:29 am »
Crate rest crate rest and crate rest!  Shoulder injuries are common in young dogs and many will respond to crate rest for several days.  Also common in large breed dogs is OCD- damage to the cartilage in the shoulder.  When we have a shoulder injury we rest them first to see if it will resolve on its own.  We only take to the vet if it doesn't respond to rest.

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 08:59:43 am »
Bava did the same thing, and we were worried also.  Vet thought it might be OCD or a sprain.  We rested him and he was fine in a day or two.  We kept him confined to the kitchen, except for leash walks to go potty.   

If it is minor it will go away on its own, if it is something more serious, you'll know because it won't.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 09:14:51 am »
Poor Angus.  :(  I hope he feels better soon.

I'd call your vet to let them know what happened.  However, our vet always tells us to crate rest and leash walks ONLY for a couple days.  That means NO free/loose time.  Then if they are still limping to bring them in. 

***To state the obvious..  if the dog is in extreme pain or has trouble getting up this doesn't apply!***

Basically this is just for those owies that dogs can get when playing or roughhousing. 
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 09:18:04 am »
Oh I hope he's ok soon! 

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 09:43:04 am »
Sapphire did the same thing when she tried to jump over the side of the slide (she was standing at the bottom).  We thought she might need to go to the vet because of her behavior: she yipped, and when we went over to help her get up and go indoors, she started snapping everywhere (from pain) and threw herself on the ground - she wouldn't even get up at first.  It was pretty scary.

However, she did get up with some persuasion, and we managed to get her inside and made her rest in her crate with a chew.  Between that and an anti-inflammatory pill, she was fine within a couple of days and has had zero related issues since.  Had she not shown improvement in the morning (this was in the evening), she would have gone in to the vet for x-rays.

So, Angus may just need some crate rest.  I hope he feels better soon.

Sofia

Offline coral

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 09:43:15 am »
Yep, same here. If it seems mild we just rest for a few days. The day after we got keegan, he was about 5 months old, we took him to visit some friends with newfs. They ran and played and ran and played, and all of a sudden Keegan fell. And he screamed and screamed until I came running over. I was horrified. Though I had broken my poor little baby!! I sat down next to him and felt anything. He quieted up immediately. As soon as I let go of him, he was up and off again. Remember, some newfies are just babies and like to whine! Rest is always good though.  ;D

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2005, 09:53:28 am »
Thanks for the quick replies everyone. Angus yelped just as he was jumping and didn't fall when he went landed. He didn't whine or scream just a very noticeable limp, plus he is always giving me his paw and he went to do that when I brought him inside and he really couldn't lift that leg. We are going to rest him first as I will be away for a couple of days and decide what to do when I get back. He can get up and down ok but is in some discomfort. I just hope everything is ok.

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2005, 10:11:14 am »
Mr. Furley is no newfoundland, but he does this all the time. He'll limp for a day and then he's fine and he's like, "what's the big deal? Why is everyone fussing over me?"

I hope Angus feels better soon!!!

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2005, 10:36:03 am »
Not making light of Angus's situation at all, but I remember letting all the dogs out and then calling them in.  Araby and Hobo came in right away, and Sanity, who's usually first in line wasn't coming in.  I got worried and walked around the side of the house and my baby was coming, slowly but surely, one foot way in the air, whimpering the whole way.  I left the door wide open and run to my baby, holding him cuddling and kissing him, fighting back tears.   He's leaning against me, body shaking from pain, his eyes wide.  Hobo is wondering why mommy hasn't come back and comes out with a soda bottle in his mouth (Another favorite ghetto toy) Nee sees the bottle and decides he wants it.  He jumps up and runs gracefully (Read:  No limping) he wrestles with Hobo for a bit, gets the bottle and starts bringing it back to me.  There must have been something in my face because you can just see him go "Oh CRAP!" and pick up his foot (Wrong foot) and fuss and cry and he limped his way back towards me.

I just compare it to how a little kid falls down and when they get up they look around to see if anyone noticed.  If anyone's looking the start to wail, if no one's looking they just run off to play again.  :)
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline 3snotenough

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Rhonda's Newfies
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2005, 10:46:25 am »
sending good thoughts to Angus, I hope he just pulled a muscle or something, please keep us posted.

Kiahpyr

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2005, 10:55:03 am »
Poor Angus! Hope he feels better soon!

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2005, 11:00:53 am »
I hope it is just a minor injury as well. I'll let all know how he is when I get back home Friday or Saturday (unless there is high speed where I'm going) as I'm heading out of town now. Thanks everyone I feel a lot better about it now, or should I say not quite as worried.

Andreau

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2005, 11:19:43 am »
poor guy, I hope he gets to feeling better soon. It sounds like shoulder or maybe a knee. Either way, hopefully with rest he will get over it real fast.

Have a safe trip

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2005, 01:58:22 pm »
Chester has done this several times as well.  I spoke to his vet and she suggested I put him on Cosequin....an d it hasn't happened since.   Just a thought... :)