Author Topic: PETRA WAS NOT GIVEN EUTH DRUGS  (Read 23622 times)

smohr

PETRA WAS NOT GIVEN EUTH DRUGS
« on: December 14, 2005, 01:05:45 pm »
I took Petra to a vet outside of town; she called my vet.  They admitted to NOT euthanizing Petra.  They were going to "test" her to see if she was so violent that she had to be put to sleep.  This other vet that saw Petra was horrified too.  She didn't want to make a lot of "noise" about another vet, but she said they were at least "unethical" but "didn't do any harm" since Petra wasn't given euth drugs.  They are all protecting each other's butts because I think they all might do this in some cases!

When they (MY VETS) got their messages the night worker left they never called me; they were waiting for ME to call THEM!!  They gave apologies but didn't sound apologetic.  I told them to send my check back and I'd decide what actions I would take against them.

Petra is doing ok, but she is going to her crate and only coming out to pee.  She ate a few bites of food and went to her crate.  I am not ready emotionally to put her to sleep again right at this moment.  I know I will have to eventually, but after staying up with her and holding her all night with no sleep and worrying about her, I am just exhausted and not thinking straight.

Thanks for the prayers and well wishes...My vets are $@%!  to say it nicely!!!!! I'm gonna lie down for a few hours.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: PETRA WAS NOT GIVEN EUTH DRUGS
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 01:14:56 pm »
The whole story is so incredible...s o UNBELIEVEABLE!  I'm SO sorry Sherri!  You have to be just beaten up, emotionally!

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 01:23:43 pm »
Wow.  Just..... wow. 

I am so sorry for all that you have been through.  I don't blame you for needing a break before you reconsider what to do next... 

I seriously hope that you are investigating what legal actions can be taken against these vets - in my eyes, what has been done here is a crime.  Not to be morbid, but were they just going to give you some other dog's ashes and let you think it was Petra?  Did they give any explanation as to what justified them to do this, or what they were planning to do with Petra?  Unethical barely begins to sum this up.  This is a horrible thing they have done...

Get some rest, and when you have a clearer head, then you can start to make some decisions about what happens next.  What a nightmare you have been through....
« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 01:24:29 pm by grumpybunny »
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Nicole

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 01:23:52 pm »
God! You're right, Mari. UNBELIEVEABLE. I CAN'T even believe this. Wow.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 01:27:21 pm »
Oh, Sherry! What a nightmare - for you and Petra. I'm not sure I would have the strength or the heart to take her to be put to sleep again, either. What a horrible, awful thing these vets put you through. Please, call the police, a lawyer, the Better Business Bureau and the American Veterinary Association immediately! You should be compensated for your pain and suffering and these vets should go on record as being highly unethical!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 01:28:21 pm »
I would definitely talk to a lawyer, action needs to be taken against this vet.  I hope you and Petra start feeling better.
This is unbelievable! ???
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 01:30:41 pm »
Smohr- please respond to your pm's.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2005, 01:35:39 pm »
I think she's probably resting - if she can! I want to go to West Virgina right now and give her some in-person moral support.

Darn my lack of independent wealth!!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2005, 02:09:42 pm »
No harm done??? What about the emotional upset they've caused you? Thank goodness that Petra has nothing worse than a 'hangover'. I don't blame you not being able to go ahead and make arrangements to put her to sleep again so soon after this ordeal.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2005, 02:19:58 pm »
maybe until Sherry comes back and gives us more details we shouldn't get this topic heated up.   I feel for her...really, but let's stay composed for her sake. :)  Thanks

cricket36580

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2005, 03:14:59 pm »
This just makes me want to throw up!  I worked in vets offices for several years and we NEVER did anything like this.  In fact, I had to leave one vet because I was the tech of choice to do ALL of the euthanasias and I just couldn't handle it.  I wish I could go there and beat the living snot out of him/them!  Please, please, please report them.  They have no business in this business.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2005, 04:47:51 pm »
I just got to thinking about this some more and thought of something important.

Sherry, if you decide to pursue this legally - and I definitely think you should, you are undoubtedly going to be portrayed as the bad guy for asking to have Petra euthanized. Please, remember first of all that you have all of us behind you to not only support you, but testify to the fact that you tried everything you could and explored every possible option for Petra.

Go back and print out every single post on every single thread that mentions your problems, successes and setbacks with Petra to back up that this was not an easy decision for you.

Unfortunately, this is not going to get any easier for you, but Petra - and the overnight attendant who called you - are heroes for bringing the unethical practices of this vet clinic into the light. I sure hope that woman doesn't get fired for blowing the whistle. Petra was sent to you for a reason. This must be it. Embrace it and let us help you any way we can.

smohr

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2005, 04:56:03 pm »
Those vets are covering their butts.  I called to ask for my original check back (thought they might be sending a counter check instead of mine) and they said they would.  They pointed out that I had only put "Petra" on the FOR ____ line and there was no proof of what procedure was to be done.  They said her booster shots were due and she was wormed.

They said there was nothing written on her card about euthanazia and she had been given her boosters and wormed!  They said they had to sedate her because she became too excited in her cage and could have hurt herself.  It's my "word against theirs" so to speak.

Jerks!!!

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2005, 04:59:08 pm »
But you were there and held her until they told you her heart stopped beating, right?? You called days ahead of time to make an appointment specifically for euthanasia, right?

The attendant who called you last night was told by you why she was there, right?

Why would you take her in for her shots and to be dewormed then be upset when someone called to tell you she was alive???? Why would you leave her there overnight for shots and deworming???

Sounds to me like it's their word against yours, not the other way around! Don't let them push you around! Don't let them scare you! There HAS to be one sympathetic, rational, moral person at that office that will stand behind you. Be strong, Sherry!

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2005, 04:59:50 pm »
I know at our vet, they give you a print out of all services performed.  Did you not get a receipt of any sort when you left?  You could use that as proof of what the visit was for. 
a lot of times the vet in the case where you're puttinga dog to sleep, will mail you the reciept instead of having you stand there in tears paying them that day.  They know it's emotional and they will overlook "payment due upon services".  My vet has done that to me twice.