Author Topic: PETRA WAS NOT GIVEN EUTH DRUGS  (Read 23619 times)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Re: PETRA WAS NOT GIVEN EUTH DRUGS
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2005, 05:01:52 pm »
And, again, you have all the posts on here regarding

1. debating on whether or not to have her euthanized

2. taking her in to be euthanized and describing her passing

3. asking about sending her head in for testing because the vet called and told you they were going to do that

4. your discovery that she was still alive

And, all these posts are dated and time stamped! They have NO recourse!! Thank GOD for BPO!!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2005, 05:12:07 pm »
This is just getting stranger by the minute. I would think that if you gave them a cheque you would have a recipt. There has to be a way to get the truth out of this situation. Even without a recipt Im sure there is a big differance in the prices for a few shots and being put to sleep. There has to be a way to prove that someone is lying here.
How is Petra doing Sherry???
Coonie
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

GR8DAME

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2005, 05:19:46 pm »
The blood test at the other vet, showing that she was given an anesthesia to mimic death should prove that she was not there for such routine care. Generally an animal is not "snowed" to the point of being insensate for hours for shots and deworming.
Stella

smohr

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2005, 05:20:46 pm »
This is just getting stranger by the minute. I would think that if you gave them a cheque you would have a recipt. There has to be a way to get the truth out of this situation. Even without a recipt Im sure there is a big differance in the prices for a few shots and being put to sleep. There has to be a way to prove that someone is lying here.
How is Petra doing Sherry???
Coonie
[/color]

This is the craziest day I think I've ever had; twilight zoned.  Petra has been sleeping almost all day.  When I talk to her, she wags her tail and she gets up, but still shakes all over.  They must have given her a lot of anesthesia.  I've got blankets on her or she shakes like she's cold. 

The vet that saw her today said she'll have to sleep it off.  The drugs given was anesthesia and sedatives on top of the sedatives I gave her to take before I took her into the vet to have her euthanized.  She said maybe I ought to think about keeping her; it's a "sign" but this vet has all this earth, moon and stars stuff all over her office. 

I just have to have a few days to get thru this haze and think straight and see how Petra is going to react. 

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2005, 05:20:48 pm »
I'm so, SO angry about the whole situation! >:( I'd love to have a royal, boiling over, stomping my feet temper tantrum in that #$%^^ vet's office.  I've never, EVER heard of a more $%^& situation.  WHO are these people????  GOD, I'm angry!!!  POOOOR PETRA!!!!  She just didn't deserve this!  I'm totally flabbergasted!!!!
Poor YOU!!!

smohr

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2005, 05:37:23 pm »
In my wildest imaginings this couldn't happen.  I need a nerve pill... :-\  I think I'll scrounge the house in my old purses and see if there are any left over from my surgery.  :P

I have never gotten a receipt from my vet; they just write it all down on the "PET'S CARD" and keep record that way.  The lady who found Petra last night and looked at Petra's collar found my phone number on Petra's collar, and tried to look up my card, tried to call one of the vets, then found Petra's card on the vet's desk.  She called me to see what kind of treatment Petra had, because she didn't see a cage Petra came out of because there was no name of "PETRA" on any of the cages. 

Petra waking up like that at that time she was there and the woman not reaching a vet and calling me - that was meant for some reason.  When I literally picked up Petra, Petra wagged her tail a few times.  Talk about feeling guilty... 

I tried to call a few numbers and left my number.  Hopefully I'll hear from some people and turn in this group of vets.  My attorney called and said to let it go!  He said the dog was going to be ok and the vets did no other harm, blah, blah, blah.  He said suing them would be a small claims court issue and an animal cruelty issue and it's a no win issue on anyone's side.  In other words, no big money involved for him.  I don't care about the money side, but since that's his goal, he's not interested in a lawsuit.  Apparently the attorney doesn't care about animals or the feelings of animal owners.

Offline cuttles/sadieMay

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2005, 05:38:28 pm »
When we had to put Sadie to sleep my Vet made me sign a permission slip saying that I authorize for them to perform the procedure! She told me that legally she couldnt do it until the paper was signed! Did you have to sign any documents like this? I hope this all works out and I would have to agree with everyone by saying this is a complete nightmare! I wish you and Petra the best!
cuttles

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2005, 09:51:52 pm »
Okay, so you say you have never gotten a receipt from your vet, well go get them for not keeping their paper in order. As a licensed vet. aswell as other medical facilities, they HAVE to give you a receipt, it is not optional, they need to show every bit of it in their books and is is "open book keeping" that is standard which means you have every single bit of information and evidence of costs and icome. I bet also if they never give receipts they have a highly unethical accountant.

And I cant believe the attorney, It is ILLEGAL for Gods sake, I would think an attorney would dive into something like this, because it is not only going to be a good bit of money for you, it is going to be press and publicity and that is something attorneys love.

And well the vet you went to who said it was no damage done, what planet did she come from?

Man I am getting more and more upset by the minute here

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2005, 10:12:17 pm »
I agree, I would call the police and find out about filing charges against them or maybe even call your local news channels and telling the story.  There has to be something you can do about this.  They are unethical on every level, from what they did to Petra to their blatant admission that it would be easy to cover up!!  I would record any conversations I had with them and make records of all of your posts regarding Petra on this website as some evidence (it is all date and time stamped!)
Good Luck and I hope this vet pays!
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline LaurieW

• Big Paw Certified
  • Bella
    • View Profile
    • Hands of Healing
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2005, 11:05:34 pm »
I am so sorry to read this & the other threads about Petra's & your last few days.  This is just awful!

Check your state's gov't website for a Veterinary Board.  Report this to them!  Every (human) medical office is supposed to have a sign/notice about which Board to call with complaints, I can't imagine a vet office being any different.  I would also get a different lawyer.  This really sounds very illegal.  You should have signed a consent that they gave you a copy of....  You should have gotten reciepts for any vet care given for whatever reason...  If the state Vet Board isn't interested in your complaint (and even if they are), call your local TV station.  Many of them have consumer advocate services and can help when no other services that are supposed to help this kind of gross negligence seem to care about it.

This is negligence.  Is there a way to cite both vets for malpractice (I hate that word - but that is what this appears to be to me!)  That other vet that said "no harm done" was just as much in the wrong as your original vet was!

Again, I'm so sorry this had to happen after all you & Petra have been through.
-lauriew

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2005, 02:58:36 am »
I agree.  Please, please find yourself another lawyer.  Just the publicity that it will cause should be enough to get one interested.

This is definitely illegal in every sense of the word.  Just like human doctors, vet's cannot perform any procedure without your permission.  In the same way, they must perform the services that you paid for.  I find it highly suspicious that they never give you a receipt for paid services, nor have you sign anything for a euthanasia.  Euthanasia's need a signed waiver by the owner so that the vet won't get in trouble for putting the animal to sleep if the owner changes their mind later, or tries to sue for wrongful death.

Please keep us updated as to who you are contacting.  Get ahold of as many organizations as possible so you can cover all avenues, and leave no stone unturned.  This vet made a horribly illegal and unethical mistake, and he and his staff (besides the night person who notified you) should be punished.  Obviously some staff must have known what he was doing.  And I agree wtih what someone else said.  That he has probably done this before, as he seems to think he can get away with it.

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2005, 03:22:01 pm »
Sherry
What is going on with Petra?? We would love to know if she is doing OK. I know there were a few things said that likely didnt sound too nice but I think all of this was really stressing everyone out. I cant imagine what you must be going through. You should come on and defend yourself. If you never say anything and leave us all hanging then everyone will figure all of this was a lie. As you said " How could anyone make something like this up?"
Hope Im not offending anyone I would really like to know how Petra is doing.
Coonie

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2005, 03:46:15 pm »
Coonie, it looks like smohr has pulled off the site.  Neither she nor Petra are listed any more..... :-\

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2005, 03:50:41 pm »
Thanks Newf

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2005, 03:58:34 pm »
I think that her feelings were very hurt. I feel bad for her, and I hope that she makes it through this very rough time. Sending good vibes to her and Petra and praying for them both.

Nina  :)
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)