Author Topic: Help with Dane food  (Read 4501 times)

Offline Boobearsmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Help with Dane food
« on: December 15, 2005, 03:16:03 pm »
Hi, I'm new to Big Paws and was hoping I could get some advice on the food I'm feeding to my 5 1/2 month old Dane.  She came to us on Purina One Puppy Chow and changed her food recently over a two week period.  She is now on Blue Buffalo Adult Dog food twice a day and was hoping someone could let me know if thats a good food for her.  She seems to love it, although she's pooping 4 times a day now, and boy are they BIG!!  She's healthy and playful but she's also deaf.  We're teaching her sign language and she's in obedience class with a wonderful instructor who knows sign language also.  So, any ideas on her food?  I've read Danes do really well on the BARF diet, but what about straight dry food?

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Dane food
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 03:19:35 pm »
hi, my name is Ang and I have a dane as well, his name is Sanity.  (And one of my best friends has a deaf white dane who's Sanity's best buddy.)  I've never heard of Blue Buffalo before.  I'll have to look that up for you.  :)  Basically with a Dane puppy you feed them adult food (Preferably anything 24% protien or under) and avoid foods with fillers.  I can give you a list if you'd like.

Edited to add I found this list I did on another post.

Well *Cracks fingers in preparation for a long typing session*   

I note Alternative protiens for dogs with allergic reactions to some traditional protein sources.

I like Canidae.  Depending on where you live you can get a 40 pound bag for $30-$35.  It has a high calorie content, so you feed fewer cups.  (24% protein)
http://www.canidae.com/dogs/all_life_stages/dry.html

Solid Gold makes a food called "Wolf King", with Bison and Salmon as protein sources (22% Protein).  Do not confuse this with "Wolf Cub" the puppy formula (26% protein)
http://solidgoldhealth.com/products/showproduct.php?id=62&code=170

Fromm Four Star is a food that looks good on paper and I was about to try before I found the food that works for my dog (More on that later) They have several alternative protein formulas.  (23%-24% protein)
http://www.frommfamily.com/products_fourstardry.asp

Eagle Pack has a Giant breed puppy food that's acceptable.  (23% Protein) I also like their Holistic chicken (24% Protein)
http://www.eaglepack.com/pages/for_your_dog.html

Merrick has several good formulas, however if your dog has a tendency towards gassiness I would stay away.  Their alternative protein food is the Wilderness Blend and Turducken (24% Protein for both).  They also have Cowboy Cook out (22% Protein) and Grammy's Pot Pie (23% Protein)
http://www.merrickpetcare.com/store/dry_dog_food.php

Wellness is another dog food to avoid if your dog has gassiness or loose stools.  Their Fish and Sweet Potato (22% Protein) is an alternative protein, and their chicken is supposed to be good as well (22%).
http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/dogs/dry_intro.asp?pCode=dry

As for foods to avoid.  Cindy talked about Innova EVO, don't get me wrong I LOVE this food, it's what I feed my Dane, HOWEVER the Protein is 42%, so it should NEVER be fed to puppies!  EVER EVER EVER!

Avoid anything with fillers, ie corn, rice, grains, as the first few ingredients. 

Avoid Lamb food for puppies as the LACK of Taurine can give them health issues.

I hope I haven't overwhelmed you, and feel free to contact me with questions!

Ang.  The Food nut
« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 03:42:09 pm by Anky »
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline Boobearsmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 03:45:46 pm »
I think the protein on it is 22% (?) and the fat is 12%, or something close to that.  Its within the protein/fat range that I've read is good for Danes, I was just hoping noone had any horror stories about their dogs being on it!!  Any info you have on food would be greatly appreciated.  More info is never a bad thing as both Boo and I learn from each other every day.  And you'd never know she was deaf if you just walked in our house as a stranger.  We talk to her and sign to her as well just as she talks back to us!  I'm glad I found someplace that the people seem "down to earth" as I've visited some sights about Danes and was appalled by some of the things people said.  One breeder even suggested that deaf Danes should immediately be euthanized and not given a chance to fit in with any family.  I was horrified after reading that.  We wouldn't give our deaf Dane up for anything.  She's a family member and an amazing part of our lives.

Offline Boobearsmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 04:04:39 pm »
Thank you to both Tina and Ang!!  I'm Naomi and the lounging pup is our dog Boo.  We just got a digital camera and have lots of pictures of Boo, but are still trying to figure out how to get all of them on the computer  ???  I'm technologicall y challenged and Boo just looks at me funny when I yell at the camera, computer, remote........ .

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005, 04:19:19 pm »
YaY!! Another Deaf Dane that's come to play on BPO!

Hi Naomi and Boo, I'm Moni and my Deaf Dane's name is Tenchi.  I also have a deaf mini aussie-Kida, Mojo-an aussie, Faust-german shepherd and Zeo-the neurologically challenged hyperspaz border collie/sheltie.

Welcome, welcome, welcome!  Hope to see lots more of ya! 

Where are you located BTW?
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Kiahpyr

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 04:38:23 pm »
I don't have a dane, but I still wanted to welcome you to BPO. I'm April and I have a 9 month old great pyrenees named Kiah. Welcome! I can't wait to see more pictures of your baby.

Offline Boobearsmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 04:50:10 pm »
We're located just outside of Albany, NY.  I have one four-legged child and one two-legged one, both of which are in this picture.  This is an old picture that we had on here when she was 4 months old.  I have another one, but give me a few minutes to see if I can get it on!

Offline Boobearsmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2005, 04:51:34 pm »
Ok, here's the other one of her thats just her side view.

Kiahpyr

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2005, 04:55:43 pm »
She's so cute!!!!!

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2005, 09:26:00 pm »
Hmmmm Albany you say?  Moni darling I think a road trip is in order :P  It's about the time the boys get some positive estrogen in their lives :P

(I live in Southern NH, and Moni lives in Western Mass.  I attached a pic of the boys, the Brindle is my Sanity and the White/Harl is her Tenchi)

« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 09:26:59 pm by Anky »
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline Boobearsmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2005, 10:54:03 am »
Oh Boo would love that!!!!  She really wants to play with the other dogs in her obedience class now but the instructor hasn't allowed it yet.   :(  The only other dog she plays with is my ex-husband's bulldog/pitbull mix and I don't think Boo likes it too much because she's so much bigger than the other dog.  We take her for walks at the park by our house but I don't let her go because I'm afraid she'll take off.  She gets the "zoomies" in the house and I hide my face because I can picture our christmas tree going flying one day!  Please let me know for anytime after the holidays!!  She loves riding in my truck too so I'd be willing to drive somewhere to meet you guy also.