Author Topic: Aggression in BMD  (Read 5643 times)

Offline berneragility

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Aggression in BMD
« on: November 28, 2006, 06:13:13 am »
Hi my anme is Cindi! I have a BMD, neutered male, 10 1/2 months old. I was told today by our pool service guy that our Mozart bit him. Our pool guy said he did not break skin but did pinch his skin. I have not seen any prior aggression so this troubles me. I was not home so I do not know if the guy did something or not. I also have 2 other dogs which were also barking at him so I am told. I have had the same guy for our pool service for the last 3 years so all the dogs know him. Any thoughts or advice? How do I determine and or stop such aggression?

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
Re: Aggression in BMD
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 06:51:46 am »
hmmm
first, i would not leave dogs outdoors unattended, to many sue happy people plus dog thieves abound, best thing is to keep them crated while you are gone if they are untrustworthy, tell the pool guy to show you the supposed pinch mark, make sure you take a pic of it.
you need proof that it didnt break the skin should he try to take you to court.
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 07:14:01 am »
personal experience, my husband's uncle said this also about my akita, and what actually had happened was that he was playing with him, and axle got too excited.  it may be possible that this is what happened with you too, since you've had the same pool guy the whole time you've had your BMD.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Lyn

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 08:30:52 pm »
My hubby's boss has 2 BMD's. They know me well.. but everytime I see them they both get excited and get mouthy. They have pinched me quite a few times.. usually on the arm or hands. Never breaks the skin but it can be painful depending on the area they get me. One of them has even pinched me on the butt.

Alot of non-dog people view the mouthing as aggressive behaviour.

I've had a relative say Bubba bit him.. But I was right there and saw it. Bubba just got all excited and nipped his fingers. It took me ages to get Bubba to stop that behaviour.. and he still does it every once in awhile depending on his level of excitement.

I agree with Sar.. I would definitely get his 'full story' and get pics of any marks he may have. You just never know what may happen.. and if he does take you to court you, you are fully prepared.

Offline berneragility

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 05:06:50 am »
I agree and or understand each of your point of view. I myself feel something is missing in this story. But since I was not home I cannot assume what or what did not take place. I believe my dogs would protect there territory if it is provoked but not to become aggressive for no reason. I will get pictures, etc just in case. Thank you all for your insight and if anyone else feels like putting in their 2 cents, feel free. Thanks again....

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 09:40:21 am »

Berners are not a breed that likes strangers coming in and out - by design, they were watch dogs for the farm. Usually, Berners are easily stressed and find strangers coming in and out to be more stressful than anything. Also, it usually wont matter how long a pool guy has been coming - he isn't spending much time with the dog and is in and out and therefore a typical Berner will bark at him every time for years :)  I have a pool guy and my Berner barks at him as soon as he approaches our gate until he gets through my yard and to the pool - it is just understood.  Aggression in a Berner is rare, but not unheard of.  Your boy is just at an age where he is starting to mature and come through adolescence and at this time behavior often changes to reflect their adult personality.  Add to this, that no one is home and he will feel more inclined to protect or warn.

I do not think dogs should be left outside unattended if service people are coming in and out - your situation is a great example of your liability exposure and you will have no argument against this pool guy's story since you weren't there and he is invited onto your property.  I would keep my dogs in if I am not there and not allow this situation to repeat itself.

SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar