Author Topic: Is there such a thing as a CLEAN bowl of water??  (Read 12561 times)

Offline Oingo

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Is there such a thing as a CLEAN bowl of water??
« on: May 11, 2005, 08:02:27 am »
As I've mentioned, I have a bullmastiff mix and a black lab mix who are 1 and 1 1/2 respectively.  They are not droolers, thank goodness, but I can't for the life of me figure out where all the slime in the water bowl comes from!!  My other two dogs, who are older and pickier, won't drink from it once it's nasty and I can't say that I blame them! 
Since I have 4 big dogs, I initially thought that a 2 gallon waterer would help me cut down on refilling the bowl over and over.  Boy was I wrong!!!  I still have to dump and wash the dish over and over again! 

Is there anyway to keep it clean for a few more hours at a time?!?!
Kim N Crew n Tony, too

GYPSY JAZMINE

Re: Is there such a thing as a CLEAN bowl of water??
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 08:13:40 am »
LOL!..I have a moderate drooler & because he refuses to drink out of a cup...lol...I just change his water a few times a day...I don't think he really cares but it bothers me...lol!

Offline bhender254

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 09:03:50 am »
I don't think so.  My big guy likes to put his paws in the water dish when it has just been changed.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 09:24:48 am »
We've got the "big dog fountain"... the drool seems to float to the top and just gets washed away when the guys stick their heads in it for a drink.  I have to re-fill it everyday...but it does stay *fairly* clean.   A more fastidious dog may have a problem, but the Newf's don't seem to care :D!

Offline Oingo

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 09:28:18 am »
HMMMM....I had thought about trying to modify or create my own indoor dish with a filter and automatic filler...kinda like the ice maker or toilet.  But I like that idea for outside...I'll have to look into it.

Oingo
Kim N Crew n Tony, too

Offline Oingo

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 09:30:15 am »
Oh yeah, and to make matters worse, the two "pups" somehow manage to get dirt all over their bottom jaw then stick their faces into the water dish!!  We've got slime on top, dirt on the bottom and I think it's dog food floaties in the middle....DAIL Y!!  ewwww! 
Kim N Crew n Tony, too

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 12:29:44 pm »
I COMPLETELY understand!  It's SO speciall when, after drinking, they shake their heads to "clean up" and whole mess goes flying!  THAT'S why we have the BIG DOG fountain!  That way the outside of the windows maybe a mess, but at least the chunks aren't on the ceiling of the kitchen!!!! ;D

Our friend with Bernese Mt. Dogs have a big barrel that they put a pump in to do the same thing!  The barrel stays pretty full, there's a spigot for running water....AND it stays outside!!!

awo

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 03:10:03 pm »
I have the same problem.  I have a Saint who won't drink out of the dish a second time because it's full of slime.  I don't have any ideas, but I understand what you have to deal with.

awo

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 04:16:53 pm »
We just give water fresh out of the faucet (outside) and if its an emergency Bear will drink from his bowl with ice cubes once or twice only. He hates the drool he leaves in it and is so picky that we finally gave up dumping and refilling the bowl and just turn on the faucet often. It's good exercise for us until we can get that automatic facucet thing. Boy- is he demanding or what?  :D
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Magoosmom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2005, 04:57:11 pm »
I am fairly new to this board. I mostly read and laugh! I have 4 dogs, the newest "little one" a Saint Bernard. My other dogs also won't drink after Magoo has left the water dish (actually dishes....he likes to drink out of ALL of them, not empty one at a time). One of my dogs will eat poop.....but not drink water from a slimed dish. Go figure! We have resorted to filling our water dishes a third of the way so we don't waste so much water. Yes we are constantly changing the water....but I don't see another option! Are we ruled by our dogs or what! ;D
Becky

Offline Oingo

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2005, 05:28:23 pm »
While the water faucet idea sounds great, I work 10 hour days at an animal hospital.  My babes would all be extremely dehydrated.  I did buy a faucet attachment that works the same as a water bottle...they lick it and the water comes out.  Unfortunately, only one will use it, so I have to leave water out for the rest...which gets slimed in and defeats the purpose!  I think the best idea I've seen so far is the giant outdoor waterfall!!  However, for indoors, I've seen a really cool automatic water dish.  It has a pump AND filter and will hold up to (I think) 5 gallons.  Sort of like a fish tank for dogs!!!
Kim N Crew n Tony, too

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2005, 05:43:44 pm »
OK Am I a real BAD MOM here?? :-[ Judge drinks out f the toilet. :-[ :-[
I was thinking though that when we had a farm we had these bowl things for the cows. They pushed there nose in it and the water filled up. Dont know if that would work or not. I couldnt keep up with Judge and the water bowl so now we just have to make sure and flush and check the seat for slime. YUCK!! :-[
Karen
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2005, 06:30:42 pm »
We bought a faucet "lickit" attachment and Drake took right to it.  It helps if you buy a splitter so you can still have access to the faucet if you need it for hoses or whatnot.  After playing or a long walk, he makes a beeline for the lickit and I don't have to worry about him not getting water when he needs it.
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2005, 07:58:00 pm »
My sister's Collie will only drink out of the toilet & if you are on it he growls like you are using his own personal water dish....lol... .Samson occasionally drinks from the toilet in our garage (whoever decided to put that in was a genius...lol) & when my good friend yelled at me about letting him do it I felt kind of bad until I remembered he just ate bunny poop & licked his butt...I am fairly certain my toilets are cleaner than that....LOL!

Offline Oingo

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2005, 08:59:43 pm »
OMG....LMAO   oh wow....k, hang on...I have to pick myself up off the floor!!!
Kim N Crew n Tony, too