Author Topic: Is there such a thing as a CLEAN bowl of water??  (Read 12560 times)

Offline pitas

• Paw-meister
  • Mom! Let us out, please!
    • View Profile
Re: Is there such a thing as a CLEAN bowl of water??
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2005, 05:04:59 am »
Hello Everyone!

Yes, we also have a clean water dish problem.  We have 3 Newfies, two 2 year old siblings and one 9 month old half brother.  Of course the two boys are pigs and leave their slime & debris in the water dish for their sister!  If she doesn't get the first drink from the clean bowl, she will bark until someone changes the water for her!  She also has a hidden, well it used to be hidden until puppy boy pig found it, a fresh, always clean water dish upstairs in the bathroom.  She hates slime and she lets us know when the boys leave a mess.  We recently found out that their Mom does the same thing because the boys in that house also leave slime in the dish and she won't drink from it either.  Like Mom, like daughter!  Our boys are big pigs but, we love them just the same.  The best is when the boys take a drink and if you don't have a drool towel nearby and they get an unsuspecting person passing by, that lucky person gets a wet, full of drool lap! Summer is even better with shorts on!  Not sure why we shower somedays!

Anita and the goofy Newfies from NJ

Offline Wolf_Lover

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2005, 09:28:27 am »
Have you tried elevating the dish?  A lot of it might be backwash from them trying to lap against gravity...

Offline MagicsMom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2005, 12:04:28 pm »
Had to reply to this one!!!

Magic, my Newf, Shilo, my husbands Pyr and Jett, my sons "Chowder Collie" and EVERY rescue I have had, drink from the toilett! I gave up!  They open the lids themselves, even when we tied them down! We clean the toiletts daily with vinager, but still have a water dish for appearance sake.  :) They will drink after one another, droll and all, but won't drink water "in town" since we moved up into the mountains and have a well. We carry bottles of "Mountain Spring" water with us everywhere we go!
Sincerely,
Lori & Magic
email:  Magic@PetEmpawrium.com
High Country Newfoundland Club & Rescue:
www.highcountr ynewfs.com

Offline pitas

• Paw-meister
  • Mom! Let us out, please!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2005, 08:16:59 pm »
Yup, our pups have raised water dishes.  Of course there is a bit more drool in the warmer months!

Offline Doggielvr

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2005, 12:14:44 am »
There is such a thing as clean Doggie water bowls.......It s called a Drinkwell Big Dog Fountian.....i ts the best thing ever......my girl loves hers.......... it is a running doggie water fountian that filters out all of the yuckies.....it s great I highly reccomend it.... ;D

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2005, 12:21:55 am »
I have seen those in a lot of my catalogs, and wondered if they really work. How big are they though, I have seen a few different dishes with a water holding tank but the dish itself isnt big enough for a very giant head and nose, how is it with yours? Is it big enough do you think?? The filter system seems like a neat idea.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

ann

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2005, 07:59:05 pm »

dakota will not drink if thier is gross slime in his dish so i change it a few times a day and my 2 boxers drink from the toilet .............. .......

ann

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2005, 07:14:49 am »
Ok Im wondering were I can find a bigger toilet?? Now I have to keep the seat up so Judge can get a drink. His head wont fit anymore. All my hard work to get the BOYS in this house to put the seat down and along comes Judge. :o
Karen
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Offline NatsaintB

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2005, 07:48:37 am »
I'm so glad Leo doesn't do that because I have three skin kids who are always forgetting to flush!  I can't imagine him walking around the house with pee drool hanging from each side of his mouth!  We have the same problem with him not liking to drink out of a slimed bowl too.  He must get it from me because I don't like that either LOL!

Offline Doggielvr

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2005, 11:53:08 am »
Ok so the Drinkwell Big Dog Fountain is great for most if not all big dogs, My dogs Newfie Friend drinks out of it just fine, she loves the part where the water flows out the best.......mor e importantly she has no problems getting her big head in the bowl part, and best of all the slobber gets filtered out! It is a wonderful bowl and well worth the money I paid for it. Here is a link to the Drinkwell site so you can see more info about it......http://www.petfountain.com/bigdog.asp..........just copy and paste......... .Enjoy!

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2005, 10:43:39 pm »
LOL!  Technically, I don't mean to be facetious or anything, but I do not think there is a clean drop of water on the planet now.

Anyway, on a more serious note...we use a Pur water filter.  My mother's chow had kidney stones, but not after she filtered the water.  All I can say is clean the bowl often, change water a couple times per day?????

Maybe they are hiding food in their cheeks and it comes out when they drink....LOL :D
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline mamadog

• Big Paw Certified
  • This is me and my Finn
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2005, 10:52:03 pm »
Finny always has food in his water and water in his food. So every time I walk by his dishes (which is a lot cause they're on the way to the kitchen) I rinse out and fill his water dish and wipe out his food dish. They only get actually washed once a day, but I'm forever rinsing them or drying them! He's a slob!!!

Vicki