Author Topic: Barking at people...aggressive?  (Read 2027 times)

Offline macaco67

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Barking at people...aggressive?
« on: December 19, 2005, 12:24:05 pm »
I haven't posted here in a while. I had rescued a puppy when he was 9 weeks old back in Feb. In Sept. his sister was surrendered to the shelter because she ate the owners couch.  My husband and I couldn't leave her there so we took her in.  She's the best... definetly a chewer, but funny none the less.  They get along great and she's great with people in my house, but when we are outside she barks at everyone!!! Her tail is wagging but it sounds so vicious.  Anyway, it's tough to desensitize her to that since I can't really ask strangers to work with me, and I don't know how aggressive she is being.

None the less... here are some updated pictures of my babies that turn 1 tomorrow! By the way... if you guys have any thoughts on what breed they might be... let me know.

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Barking at people...aggressive?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 03:36:55 pm »
Honestly, if anyone comes within 100 feet of my house it sounds like the hounds of he** have been unleashed.  My friends have heard the dogs, even when they're playing and it gives them the chills.  But my two "Small" dogs are SOOOOO friendly, and Nee will just watch you from afar, he won't go after you (As long as Mommy or Daddy are there).  Some dogs just sound different than others. 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 05:49:35 pm by Jacksmom »
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 05:23:21 pm »
I don't think its necessarily a sign of aggression.  Gunther used to bark at everyone and anything outside our yard.  I've gotten him to the point where he is allowed to bark a few times, but not exessively or obsessively.  If I tell him to knock it off, he'd better knock it off!  He's now started doing this at the dog park, to people outside the park, and even people inside if he didn't notice they were there and they moved or surprised him.   :D

I think for some dogs, it has to do with protection, or just plain notification.  I think if you can teach her a key word like "quiet" or "no bark" it can help tremendously.  Gunther knows "quiet", but sometimes he still needed the added emphasis of a squirt bottle. 

I would still try desensitizing her if at all possible.  Get friends to come by that she doens't know yet or family dressed up in strange clothes.  Especially if she is scaring the other people.  For some dogs, this just eggs them on and makes them want to do it more, b/c they are getting a reaction out of the people, and you certainly don't want that.

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 06:21:52 pm »
They're young right? Maybe this info will help:

http://www.doberman.org/articles/puppy.htm
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€