Author Topic: My Mastiff puppy acts scared?  (Read 19872 times)

Offline SherBull

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
My Mastiff puppy acts scared?
« on: December 20, 2005, 12:27:20 am »
We just got a English Mastiff puppy (he is about 4 months old) about 5 days ago.  When we went to look at him he was playing and all having fun.  We we got him home all he did is lay around.  He has slowly came around to walking around and looking around and playing a little.  He still acts scared when you walk toward him or someone comes in he goes to his crate.  I am just wandering if it takes them a while to get use to their new home and family?  And is there anything we can do to help him ajust?
I would appreciate any advice or help.  He is a beautiful male and is so sweet.  We just want him to be happy.
Sher

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: My Mastiff puppy acts scared?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 12:39:58 am »
All he needs is a little time and lots of love.  He will be a wild child before you know it.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 02:43:36 am »
All he needs is a little time and lots of love.  He will be a wild child before you know it.

I agree.  Love and time. 
"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." - Mel Brooks
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/164179

Offline cuttles/sadieMay

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 03:12:01 am »
Here is some info from a puppy basics magazine I got from my vet and it gives you some tips about what to do if your puppy acts frightened of things!
-Dont reward fearful behavior. If you try to soothe,encourage or calm your puppy when she is frightened, you may be rewarding behavior you dont want without meaning to. You dont want your puppy to learn that if she acts frightened, she gets pats and treats. It is common for a puppy to show some uneasiness when encountering anything new and different. Simply ignore this; your puppy will take her cue from you.

Hope this helps!
My 8 week old Dane puppy was showing signs of fear toward everything when we first brought him home so I tried ignoring it and it seems to be working great! Not sure if it will work with every puppy but its worth a try I guess.  Its hard to ignore though, I just want to cuddle him up when he gets scared,but I find he will go and investigate what ever it is that is scaring him and he realizes that it wont hurt him,then off he goes!
P.S. We would like to see some pics of your baby!
cuttles

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 07:55:32 am »
Definitely do what everybody has said - ignore him when he's being fearful because if you try to comfort him, you wil only scare him more. If you just act like you normally would if he wasn't there, he'll soon realize that nothing is going to hurt him.

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 08:49:24 am »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 09:59:49 am »
Dont worry like everyone here already has said, it can take some time before they come around and act "themselves" dont baby him too much, because that can lead him to think he is right in his behavior, and that there really is something to be afraid of.  So give him a little time. Mind you, I would also like to here say that a mastiff who is showing a bit fear and tendancy to be worried, well as soon as he comes around at home and is okay with you, start to take him out, work lots and lots on him being social, take him to parks, to petsmart and everywhere else where he is welcome. You want to introduce him to as many situations as possible, not too fast or so that it scares him, but you dont want a 220 lbs mastiff boy who is afraid of everything  ;)

Please post pics of him. I have a mastiff boy myself, Galahad who is about 11 months old now, and a lover boy  ;D

Good Luck and let us know how things go, or if you have any other questions

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline SherBull

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2005, 10:03:00 am »
Ok.  Lets see if I do this right.  Here is a picture(I hope) .  His name is Judge.  He is about 4 months old and weighs about 42 pounds.   Thanks so much everyone for the info.  Just a little worried.  This is our first Mastiff.  We use to raise Rotties and they are very different.  They are outgoing from the get-go for the most part. 
Thanks,
SherBull  :)
I will add more pics when I get some better ones taken.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 10:07:34 am by SherBull »

Offline cuttles/sadieMay

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2005, 10:09:50 am »
Ok.  Lets see if I do this right.  Here is a picture(I hope) .  His name is Judge.  He is about 4 months old and weighs about 42 pounds.   Thanks so much everyone for the info.  Just a little worried.  This is our first Mastiff.  We use to raise Rotties and they are very different.  They are outgoing from the get-go for the most part. 
Thanks,
SherBull :)
I cant see your picture! Can anyone else? It might be that your picture is too big and thats why we cant see it! Good luck with Judge, and I agree with Marit>>>>>Socialize, socialize, socialize.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2005, 10:21:17 am »
nope I dont see a pic either, only the one thats the avatar.

I am sure things will be okay with your little man, and if there is anything you wonder or is thinking about just ask away, this is a great place to do that, lots of good information and help and support  :D

I cant wait to see pics of Judge

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline SherBull

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2005, 11:46:51 am »
Ok.  I think I got it.  I am pretty sure they are at least under the paw prints.   
Thanks for the help.  I am sure I will be back ;)

chaosndestruction

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2005, 04:19:41 pm »
awww! your pup is adorable!!! He reminds me of the Mastiff/Golden Retriever mix we used to own:'(

Good luck with him!!!

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2005, 04:25:46 pm »
Maia, my 18 month only OEM still has fear issues.  She is scared of any loud noise she has never heard, she still have fear when people approach from behind, she is fearful of new people.  She is doing tons better.  She had small fears as a pup but when she turned one and hit a fear stage she never moved through it.  I suggest exposing him to as much as possible as often as possible and keeping it up.  Massive amounts of praise for not showing fear.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline iluvbigdogz

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2005, 03:38:19 pm »
I just got a 14 month old EM yesterday. I went to the peoples house several times and the dog was fine. We have had her over a few times before the big transition. Anyway, they told me she loves people and runs up to them when she is outside. Well, here she is very scared of new people. She barked at a young lady today when she tried to approach her. I know it will take a while but when should I start taking her to places like Petsmart and around other people. It is kind of scary when you have suca a big dog that you don't really know. Those barks were the only thing she did. I am not scared of her being agressive at all. I brought my great pyr out when she did that and he ran right up to the girl and then Macy seemed to be O.K.  Otherwise, she is fine. Oh, the people I got her from crated her. I don't have a crate that big. I left here for a few hours yesterday and she peed on the floor.

Offline iluvbigdogz

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2005, 03:42:00 pm »
I will try to add her pic. I think my files are too big. I don't know how to get them smaller.