Author Topic: My Mastiff puppy acts scared?  (Read 19868 times)

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
Re: My Mastiff puppy acts scared?
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2005, 03:47:49 pm »
aww she is a cutie!!!!   I would give her some more time to get acustomed to you.  I bet she is just scared from the big transition.  If the previous owners crate trained her I would definitely recommend you do the same.  The crate is like the dog's den it might be making her even more nervous to not have her safe den.  You can check on craigslist.org and see if someone in your area is selling a giant used crate if you don't want to buy a new one.  I see big ones for sale all the time in my area.   

I hope you post more pictures of her.  She is so pretty!
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline mastifflvr

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: My Mastiff puppy acts scared?
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2005, 07:52:28 pm »
We had the same problem with our Cane Corso, Bruno (we got him at 6 months) and our OEM (we go her at 3 years through Mastiff Rescue- from a great lady that took wonderful care of Maggie- so I don't belive there was mistreatment).
We went on about our day....loved and joined in when they were playful and let them be when they were timid but  took notice of the activity in the house (loud noises, high energy, etc.)and lowered such activity  but really acted as if nothing was going on.  We are parrot people by nature and dogs were rather new in our lives at the time... this works very well for timid or screaming birds.  Turns out it works for our dogs, too.  We still have those moments from time to time but it passes in seconds and all is normal again.  I think - Just give the puppy time to find out that it is "safe" and I think things will work out well.

Chanda