Author Topic: Christmas shedding!  (Read 4171 times)

kacittadini

Christmas shedding!
« on: December 28, 2005, 02:05:22 pm »
Is eight months a normal age to loose puppy fur??? My St. Bernard (my first!) has recently begun shedding like a mad woman and her coat has thinned out quite a bit. The middle of december seems like an odd time for a bi-annual shed, so I was thinking that maybe her coat is changing from puppy to adult (although I thought that had already happened)...any thoughts??? Just want to be sure that nothing is wrong!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas shedding!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 02:22:44 pm »
Chester, the Newf, lost his puppy coat at around six/seven months....whic h was October - ish.  It seemed strange to me as well, but I think the puppy coat has a life of it's own.  He immediately got his winter coat so he's a puffy-Newfie right now. :D

If she seems healthy in all other aspects, I wouldn't worry too much. 

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 02:23:47 pm »
Lady and Grace loose hair all the time.  STILL.

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 03:31:22 pm »
My 1 year old sheds aLLLLLLLLLLL the time too.Its like a never ending tumbleweed across the floor.

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 04:05:14 pm »
Judge seems to shed most of the time too. I dont call them tumbleweeds I just say I have a few extra cats running around. Thats about the size of the hair balls.  >:( I dont know if this is normal or not but I think it is because of the weather and Judges is in and out all the time. He wasnt bad for most of the Summer so I guess Ill be chasing those extra KITTIES around for a few more months. UGGGG!!!
Coonie
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2005, 04:14:52 pm »
I am sure it is just shedding puppy fur. But don't worry, her adult coat will shed constantly year round ;)
RIP former BPO

Offline ambulance_Driver

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 03:07:31 am »
Thor's shedding right now also and I think it's his puppy coat.  One solution I have found that helps the whole non seasonal shedding problem besides constant brushing is a shed stop product that you can get from www.valleyvet. com, it's the one that has a woman's name in title like "mrs. so-and-so" or something.  Sorry to be so vague but it works great, minimizes the shedding and they don't get itchy or anything. 
Ellie: Bichon Frise
Dash: Chinese Crested
Ginger: Paint filly

Offline BrutusMummy

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 06:41:38 pm »
Brutus is the same way!  I think Saints just shed!  We give Brutus an all over good brushing everyother day.  I am still vaccuming up hair everyday but it's worth it!  I think I might check out that shedding product though.  Has anyone else used it? Does it work?