Author Topic: Saint Bernard activity level?  (Read 4498 times)

Offline dogcrazyforever

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Beretta- 7 months
    • View Profile
Saint Bernard activity level?
« on: January 01, 2006, 04:42:21 pm »
I was wondering if any of you knew if a saint bernard could handle going on a horseback ride. I am looking for a dog that can follow me on a ride while I go back into the national forest across the road. But, I have never owned one so I wouldn't know what one could handle. They are big so they may not be able to? But, I've been told they could by some people also. What do you think?
What Man Doesn't Understand
Man Fears
And What Man Fears
Man Destroys.

Stop B.S.L.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Saint Bernard activity level?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 08:58:42 pm »
Since Saints are related to Newfies, I wouldn't think long runs would be a great idea...but it would depend on the individual dog and on the weather.  I don't think Saints like hot weather any better than Newfs.  I'm sure Saint owners would be a better source of info, though  ;D

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006, 09:57:58 pm »
I guess it would depend on the speed and how long you are going, but I don't really think a saint would do well tagging along with horse.

Many saints have hip problems, so they would not be able to run with a horse. If you were doing a slow trot, a saint could come along, but they don't have too too much endurance, so they wouldn't be able to take a long long walk. Also, saints require a ton of water, so they would have to stop frequently for drinks. And like newflvr said, saints don't like to do very much when it is hot out because they hate the heat.

We used to take our saint Zoey on hour-long nice slow hikes in a nearby national park, with frequent water breaks, and she would be absolutely exhausted when we got home.
RIP former BPO

Lyn

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 12:46:24 pm »
I have to agree... Bubba doesn't like long walks or running for long periods. Expecially in the heat. Even on cool days Bubba overheats so easily. 

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 08:43:50 pm »
I would tend to think of another breed, myself. 

But my cousin Perry used to take Burnice (she was a Saint Mutt) trail riding/camping/hunting all the time--literally, every weekend and sometimes he didn't come home for the week if he'd taken enough beer and dog food. But that was in the Sawtooth NF or the River of No Return Wilderness in central Idaho, though.  There's LOTS of shade and taking plenty of water, including creeks.

He always took his dogs out with him, starting right when he would get them from their mom.  He'd let the puppy run with the other dogs as much as it wanted, then put it up in the saddle with him till it wanted down, then put it up in the saddle, and so on.  He'd do that until a pup got too big to hold or till the other dogs showed it how to ride on the travois with the gear when it was tired.   Burn especially loved to go winter camping, plowing thru the snow--the SINGLE time I went winter camping she was along, and she had a blast and a half. (I did not have a blast--not even a half.)  When it would start to snow, she would drag the tent out and pull it to the back of the truck, trying to get Perry to go out in the woods.  Not that he needed much of an excuse.   

What's the terrain of your 'National Forest' like?  Is it real forest, or is it like Joshua Tree??  Is your dog already doing stuff like carting, and so he's in shape to take food and water along?  Or are you thinking about getting puppy that you could gradually condition to go out with you?  And how often are you thinking about going for these rides?

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline nostaw

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 09:06:24 pm »
How about a dalmation? They were the original carriage dog, bred to run under horse drawn carriages and mail coaches, something along those lines would be a good all year round companion.

I think it would be too much for a mountain dog, they're designed for pulling and slow endurance work. The problem with a mountain dog would be that you'd have to wait 2 years for the bones to set and then the dog would do its best to please and keep up and probably kill itself trying.

My old newf Annie whilst out hiking with me badly cut her feet on shale, I didn't notice at first until she laid down unable to go any further. The poor dear never whimpered or complained, just kept plodding till she couldn't go on. I had to carry the poor thing 2 miles back to the car. She lay accross my shoulders and never moved. Luckily it was downhill ( it took over 4 hours). It very quickly tought me how devoted mountain dogs are, and how careful you have to be, as they will go beyond their limits in their devotion.

Andy Bell & Hovis
Slime flies when you're having fun!

Offline ambulance_Driver

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 03:14:54 am »
I plan on taking mine with me to do short little rides, as my previous saint liked the hour or two hour long trips but he has to have a TON of water breaks.  I would take Barkly to the dog part where he would run for a good two or three hours but that was in the evening and when it wasn't hot.  They definately HATE the heat and need lots and lots and lots of water.  I used to carry a milk jug with us for short walks and it wasn't enough.  But for short trail rides go for it depending on the weather.
Ellie: Bichon Frise
Dash: Chinese Crested
Ginger: Paint filly

Offline mrpuppy

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 05:13:59 am »
WHAT YOU WANT IS A BORDER COLLI E!!!
bear,14 month old newfie,140 pounds (estimated)