Author Topic: How to we get Bo to be a little less aggressive?  (Read 2157 times)

Offline Bosmum

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
How to we get Bo to be a little less aggressive?
« on: January 02, 2006, 05:45:01 pm »
Bo is a good boy.  He's about 10 months old now and we've had him for about 5 months.  He's a Dobie/Rotti mix and he's probably about 60-70 lbs now. He's great on a leash, he's great at home, he AWESOME with all of us (his family) but he's not very nice at all to strangers.  My son was walking him near a creek the other day and a man wanted to pet him.  My son told him that he should just leave him alone because he's not too friendly with strangers.  The man called him over anyway and Bo snapped at the man's hand.  I guess if that's all he did, I should be grateful.  Bo's not vicious, but he cold probably do some damage if he chose to.  He CLEARLY doesn't like anyone but us.  Even when we have guests over, I have to either hold him or put him in the garage.

So, how can I get him to "meet" people without wanting to tear into them?

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: How to we get Bo to be a little less aggressive?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 09:31:31 pm »
Your poor son and poor Bo! That man was warned and chose to not listen. Maybe Bo sensed that something was not right with the man also and in his way he was protecting his family.

I agree with Tina and think the best thing to do with Bo is to slowly introduce him to new things. He is still a pup and has a lot to learn with his spongy mind.  :) My in-laws have always had Dobies and have a gorgeous boy right now. He was not too friendly either, especially with other dogs at his home but with consistent effort they have gotten him used to others. He still won't cuddle with strangers and won't play with other dogs on his territory but is no longer so afraid that he snaps. He is kind, calm and reserved and will let me pet him when I go over which is rare since they live about 6 hours away.

Good luck! And let us know how things turn out with baby Bo.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Bosmum

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: How to we get Bo to be a little less aggressive?
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 10:39:01 am »
Thanks!  We do have another dog (a smaller female) so he does have some socialization.  I agree that it's probably a fear factor.  He had a hard start in life.  I do try to praise him with lots of "GOOD BOY!!!!" when he's gentle and firm "NO" when he does his aggressive thing.  I'm just really afraid he's going to bite someone at our home.  I couldn't in good conscience keep him if he did. BUT, I want to correct this now so that won't happen...