Author Topic: Anyone have a JUMPY Saint problem?  (Read 6332 times)

Offline starla

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Anyone have a JUMPY Saint problem?
« on: January 04, 2006, 03:57:54 pm »
Little ((or should i say not so little anymore)) STARLA is almost out of the biting stage and has filtered all that NO BITE concentration to getting alittle JUMPY.  She tries to stand up on her rear legs to say hello and show me her paw prints on my nice white shirts...

Can anyone share a little trick to break that habbit... I say DOWN and push her off and sometime she listens and other times she thinks its a GAME then i'm in real trouble...!!! ;D ;D

Besides thats shes doing well for 5 months old... she just learned that if you dig a small hole in the rain, it'll fill up with water then when you try to dig in it again... its turns to MUD!!!!  YIIIIPPPPEEEE for us!!!  nah - we would want it any other way! :P :P

These are a few action shots!!! she loves WINTER!!!! 

lins_saving_grace

Re: Anyone have a JUMPY Saint problem?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 04:02:07 pm »
what a cutie pie.

Try a knee in her chest when she jumps on you.

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 04:20:25 pm »
Katy, our vet's saint, has learned to ask to give hugs but her brother Tyler doesn't.  Watch her next time she does it they generally have to lean back on their haunches to jump.  That's when you have to stop her.  Generally it's to get your attention so make her do something positive for their attention.

Some trainers recommend leaving a leash on with a knot in it so you can step on it when they go to jump but i don't know how well that would work with her size.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 12:49:50 am »
Im not sure if this is the right thing to do but I was told to hold thier paws. They dont like that. Judge has never bothered with jumping but I know this has always worked with my Dads dogs.
Good Luck!!
Starla is beautiful by the way.
Coonie
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 02:02:07 am »
Do not allow her to jump up on you by closing the space between the two of you...When she tries to jump up step towards her...If she is very persistant throw her a hip or a shoulder...Com pletely ignore her for a full 5 minutes when she greets in you in this way...Even as you are closing the space between the two of you, ignore by not making eye contact & giving no verbal...Try this for a week consistantly & tell me if it doesn't work! :)

Offline starla

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 02:36:59 pm »
Boy... I'm hoping all of this works... I have already started to close the gap between us and ignore her and she seems to hate that and ends up trying to bite a pant leg for a moment then wanders off but i'm noticing its only when we go somewhere and come home and shes so excited... shes so hard to resist!!!  i bet she feels left out...  we're going to the SNOW this weekend and hopefully i can tire her out for the next week to come!

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 02:50:44 pm »
I forgot to add that after that 5 minutes if she is exibiting acceptable behaivor praise her to high Heaven!...She will learn that unacceptable behaivor gets her ignored & acceptable bahaivor pays off!!...Also, this asserts you as the alpha...You won't see older pups in a wolf pack jumping all over the higher status wolves...It is simply not tolerated.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 02:57:49 pm »
Boy... I'm hoping all of this works... I have already started to close the gap between us and ignore her and she seems to hate that and ends up trying to bite a pant leg for a moment then wanders off but i'm noticing its only when we go somewhere and come home and shes so excited... shes so hard to resist!!!  i bet she feels left out...  we're going to the SNOW this weekend and hopefully i can tire her out for the next week to come!
unwanted behavior can also be discouraged by turning your back on her...or crossing your arms across your chest. 

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2006, 03:00:56 pm »
You need the petting chair, LOL!   ;D

If this is occurring mostly when you come home, and she is excited to see you, then it could be that the excitement level of those home-comings needs to be decreased.  No big overwhelming greetings - just a quick hello and a pat on the head, then ignore her until she is calmer, even if she jumps...

Also, you might want to think about combining that with teaching her an alternate behavior - if she is doing something else, she can't be jumping up, right?  You could teach her to go to a special corner and lie down when you get home, then spend a minute petting her on the floor, or teach her to sit the minute you step foot inside.  I even know people who have taught their excited dogs to go and grab a toy and shake it hard when their people come home.  The dogs expend a little of that excited energy, and are much calmer when it comes down to the people greeting time...

We used the petting chair.  Ranger used to get so excited when we would come home that he would literally walk on his hind legs to get our attention.  We taught him to jump up into a particular chair and wait there for his pets.  That is now his petting chair.  It didn't happen overnight, but now when we come home, he will greet us at the door.  He is still excited, but if we tell him "Get up in your chair", he will jump into it and wait there quietly for us, even if we don't always go to him immediately.  Sometimes he has to wait there for a minute or two.  Then I go calmly to him and sit on the arm of the chair, petting him and talking quietly.  We still have a lovely, happy greeting, but big emotional explosions are actually saved for when he does something great in training - if he sees another dog and does not react, THAT is when Mommy goes crazy and claps and squeals and jumps with him... 

Not sure if this is all totally applicable to your situation since I don't know all the details, but maybe it will help...
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2006, 03:12:11 pm »
Hi,

Another one that a Saint owner we met said worked for him was to give the foot pads a slight squeese while holding them. He won't like it and associate jumpimng up as a pain in the foot.

Now don't squeese to hurt just enough so Starla feels uncomfortable and Starla will catch on quick that jumping up can hurt a little.
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2006, 03:24:31 pm »
For my lab I would put my knee up and she quickly stopped doing it.  I taught her to jump up and prop her 2 front feet on my outstretched arm.  She loved doing that.
The monks of skee recommended holding their front paws and making them stand up for just a little bit longer than they are comfortable standing up. 
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2006, 03:25:04 pm »
PS: Grumpy I love that picture!!!
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline starla

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2006, 12:03:05 pm »
I DO need a petting chair, that is the problem, when MOM comes home, she goes nuts!!! for about 10 mins then everthing is cool... but those 10 mins are when we have plants knocked over and newspapers torn apart... you get the idea!!!

Thanks for the help...

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2006, 07:13:10 pm »
We do something similar to a petting chair with our 8 mo old Lab pup.  I make him sit for his attention and then get down to his level to give it to him.  Coming home time/morning time are a challenge for sure but if I give him the cold shoulder and tell him to sit, he gets the picture pretty quick.  Good to be teaching it now rather than dealing with a 150 lb dog jumping on you!
Daphne