Author Topic: cherry eyes?  (Read 3737 times)

Offline Heighway

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Webster at 8 months
    • View Profile
cherry eyes?
« on: January 05, 2006, 08:06:40 am »
Webster is a whopping 5mo old and 66 pounds.  Hard to believe how fast a newf can grow.  I have noticed his eyes yesterday and today have that blood red look at the bottom, just under the bottom lid.  They are not "popped", just the lining is very red.  It happened once before and it went away in a day, what causes this, how do I fix it, and how do I stop it from happening again.  It doesn't seem to bother him, just looks a bit eery.  I can't send a picture just now,  the computer isn't "reading" my memory card. 
Karen

Offline nostaw

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: cherry eyes?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 09:05:42 am »
Sometimes with newfs the bottom eyelid can turn in on the eye and hairs that should be on the outside face in towards the eye causing irritation. This might be the cause, if it is, their eyes can also be a bit runny. When Bell started with it as a puppy I would  pull the skin down below the eye at every opportunity to stop the irritation and hopefully to train the muscles below the eye. It didn't work. At 18months she had to visit the vets for a face lift, they cut a small section of skin beneath each eye and pulled it tighter before sewing the cut so the bottom eyelid was in the right position. You can no longer see the scars and wouldn't know she had had it done.

18 months of age seemed a good age to me to do it as she was near on full grown so the condition was unlikely to go away and I combined the op with getting her hip scored so there was only one lot of anaesthetic.

If it was my dog I wouldnt be overly worried at this point, I would wait and see if it would clear up and possibly pull the skin down below the eye to see if the lid turns out. However if there were signs of distress present, rubbing the eye against the carpet or furniture or trying to paw the eye, or excessive runniness then it would be off to the vets straight away. if not, from a home remedy point of view I would visit the pharmacy and get saline eye drops that us humans use for dry eyes and try that, as if it is only a small scratch on the eye that will heal, it will lubricate the eye and the saline will keep it clean. But remember at the end of the day it is your call, if you are really worried seek reassurance from the vet.
Slime flies when you're having fun!

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 09:14:51 am »
the bottom outside corners of fumble's eyes sometimes droop too.. so you see a little bit of the red... he also gets eye boogies a lot when he sleeps.. and then other times, it's all just those gorgeous brown with personality looking at ya!
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline nostaw

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 09:29:14 am »
It could well be that his skin has outgrown his bones so to speak. At 5 months newfies are growing fast. when you pull the bottom lid down, the eye should be a nice healthy pink, if its red its probably irritation and a little bit of "dry eyes" ointment might help particularly at bed time. Keep an eye on it and if it persists or Fumble shows discomfort I'd get the vet to check it.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Andy Bell and Hovis
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 09:30:40 am by nostaw »
Slime flies when you're having fun!

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 11:43:58 pm »
it could be allergies to something in your house, the worst thing people can do is get those dammed air spray scented things that are on timers, and scented candles and other things such as that, my eyes are horribly irritated by that crap, so to can dogs.
anything that is full of perfumes or aerosole or however you spell that, and carpet powders and febreze (wich makes me want to puke)
try to get rid of all that stuff and see if eyes change at all, if not, i would get to the vet and see if something is caught in the innereyelid like sand.
as the head grows the eyelids will sag than tighten, unless it is the newfangled  head.
but, in myexperience, the inner eyelids on my guys do not get that irritated.
keep an eye out for that folding of the eyelid becouse cherry eye is caused by allergies.
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 11:59:52 pm »
Judges eyes get red when he is tired. By morning it is always gone. Im wondering now if I should be worried??
Coonie
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Offline Heighway

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Webster at 8 months
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2006, 08:56:16 pm »
thanks everyone.  Seems his eyes are back to normal just as suddenly as they turned red. 
Karen

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2006, 09:47:53 am »
ooh i'm glad that webster's back to normal! 
fumble's eyes are pink on the bottom.. never really ever been red.. he's 5 mos. old too, and it seems to change day to day.. i think it's also because he is growing so much...
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!