Author Topic: Food Change Over  (Read 2310 times)

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
Food Change Over
« on: January 09, 2006, 10:14:39 am »
Hi,

We are into week 3 of Winslow's change from Science Diet Large breed Puppy to Wellness Super 5 Puppy. We made the change on meeting a beautiful 13 month old newf (Maya) and her Vet owner who swears by the Wellness food.

http://www.omhpet.com/dogs/wellness_detail.asp?pCode=dryDogSup5MixPuppy

We did a week plus of mix and are now into a week plus of straight Wellness.  Winslow's stool is still very loose, he stool was fine on Science diet but not adapting to the change yet. How long do I go before looking at a diet switch again.

Wellness is a much better quality food I'd like to stay with it but not at the expense of Winslow's system. ???

Rich
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Food Change Over
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 04:58:20 pm »
Sometimes super-rich high quality foods are too much for a dog's tummy. That being said, I have to say that I really like wellness and Zoey did awesome on it. I would suggest using up most of the bag you have before you make a decision so Winslow has a chance to adjust before you decide to switch
RIP former BPO

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 05:25:46 pm »
Hi,

I think we tried to switch too Quickly. I think I am going to add Science Diet back in till everything firms up and make a slower transition to the wellness. I think I jumped from Science to a low ratio mix of Science to Wellness (added the new bag of Wellness to what remained of the bag of Science) so it was probably too quick for his system.

I'll let you know how it goes.
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 05:33:16 pm »
Tim was speaking to a co-worker of his and she goes to a holistic vet, the reason that they say to switch so slowly when intrducing new food is because of all the preservatives that are in the foods. It is hard on the dogs digestive system so they say the slower the better. I never knew this but it does make sense.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)