Author Topic: Ran out of kibble, So I had to improvise  (Read 3173 times)

Lyn

Ran out of kibble, So I had to improvise
« on: January 12, 2006, 11:06:17 am »
There was no way Bubba was going to skip breakfast.. and stupid me I thought I had another bag of kibble. :-[ So here I am at 7am (I'm NOT a morning person) trying to figure out what to feed him AND get my son ready for school at the same time.

So I dig through the fridge.. I thought there was some leftover roast.. Nope. Last thing I want to do is cook when I'm half asleep. So I'm now digging through the freezer looking for raw meat. But since it's payday there isn't anything but hamburger left. So I grab that and throw it in the microwave to unthaw while I make my son's breakfast. The entire time Bubba is throwing his food bowl at my feet.. LOL. Then I spot a bag of unthawed chicken wings that were covered up on the counter. Hubby must have taken them out.. I guess they are suppose to be for us for supper. But needless to say Bubba enjoyed them for breakfast along with some raw hamburger. LOL

I have to say though (even though this morning was unprepared) that I am seriously considering switching Bubba to raw. He loves it and was more enthusiastic about raw than with kibble. He also eats a slower pace and he chewed each wing. With kibble he just gulps it.

I'll still probably need to explain where the chicken wings went though. LOL
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 11:06:47 am by Lyn »

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
Re: Ran out of kibble, So I had to improvise
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 11:22:46 am »
hehe.  I'm sure he was sooo happy!

Once when my mom was watching Sophie for me she ran out of food for her.  She called me to ask what else she could have.  Sophie ended up with a raw hamburger and egg meat loaf.  :)  Needless to say, to this day Sophie LOVES my mother!
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

cricket36580

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 12:10:26 pm »
Been there, done that!  And I didn't even get a t-shirt!  I've been bad enough that I had to run to the feed store in jammies (fortunately, they know me really well there ) to get food as soon as it opened.  :)  And Bella sulked ALL day!

I'm seriously considering switching to raw too what with all of this food related problems.  I need to do some more research on it though and compare costs.  When you're feeding this many mouths, cost is an issue unfortunately.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 05:18:15 pm »
I'm deffinately not switching to raw anytime soon, but I have to say that zoey has deffinately had a couple meat-from-the-freezer breakfasts when I accidentally ran out of food  :-X
RIP former BPO

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 05:49:40 pm »
Yum, chicken wings  for breakfast!

Wish I'd had chicken wings for breakfast.  I had a horrible granola bar....

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Lyn

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 07:58:32 pm »
I called both local butchers and priced chicken legs/thighs and Beef heart/hamburger. For just those things I'm looking at $40 a week.  :o In order to add more variety each week I'm probably looking at $60+ a week. That's just not do-able for us right now.  :(

Maybe someday we will be able to make a complete switch.. but for now it looks like Bubba will only be getting raw every once in awhile.

Offline ambulance_Driver

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 09:43:42 pm »
I've tried to do the raw or barf diets in the past and i have found that with the big dogs they are pretty cost prohibative for me.  The only way that I could keep wieght on my greyhound was to give her the barf diet and it worked great.  Occasionally I feed my dogs raw meat, they love pigs feet (walmart), or do cooked oatmeal, tomato juice, glucosamine/msm, and raw liver cut up, or whole pigs feet.  She loved it.  I was reading on the net that a 160lb dog should have 5lbs of meat a day.  That's just a little cost prohibative for me but they'll get it as an occasional treat.
Ellie: Bichon Frise
Dash: Chinese Crested
Ginger: Paint filly