Author Topic: picking a newborn pup?  (Read 3054 times)

Offline lulu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
picking a newborn pup?
« on: January 16, 2006, 01:19:12 am »
   hello, i am in the process of trying to adopt a saint pup. i finally found a breeder near by. she has some puppies that were just born 4 days ago. she sent me the pics and they are all so itty bitty and pretty much look alike. she has a male and a female "pick of the litter", though to me they look just  like the other ones.  i am wondering at this age how do i pick which one to get? is there anything i should base it on?
  any advice would be appreciated! thanks!

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: picking a newborn pup?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 11:43:57 am »
At first you must decide if you want a boy or a girl,that itself will limit your options.I couldnt decide either they all still look alike at 6 weeks.I knew as soon as I saw Spotakiss with his spot on his cheek he was the one!Good luck and please post pics when you get the pup!

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 11:55:16 am »
I like to judge them on personality and energy level...and looks of course.  I hope the breeder can give you health reports as time goes by. 

Offline renate1

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 01:27:21 pm »
I would wait until the pups are at least 6 (preferably 8) weeks old before making a decision.  So much changes in that time.  Along with personality which is of the upmost importance, I would look for a nice muscular neck and wide muscular rear end...these are both good indicators of the dogs "depth" at maturity.  A really good book is "Saint Bernard's from the Stoan Perspective"  this book has a great chapter on what to look for when purchasing saints. 

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 08:49:21 pm »
I agree with everyone so far. You should decide whether you want a girl or a boy, but beyond that you really can't tell a dog's personality or adult looks at such a very young age. And don't forget that the pups shouldn't leave the litter until 8 weeks... That being said, post any and all pics you can! Saint puppies are so beautiful!
RIP former BPO