Author Topic: Hip dyslpasia  (Read 12768 times)

Offline lil rufus

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Hip dyslpasia
« on: May 16, 2005, 07:07:45 pm »
Hi-
Our Newfoundland, Rufus,  has just been diagnosed with hip dysplasia...I wanted to get other opinions about gold bead implant (a form of acupuncture) vs. full hip surgery.  Has anyone had either of these procedures done?  Can your give me your insight?
Thanks-

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: Hip dyslpasia
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 07:55:13 pm »
I haven't personally used the acupuncture with our Newf, but at the NCNC club there are many people who swear by it. They say it works wonders with certain dogs just like it does with people. How old is Rufus? What happened to make you have x-rays taken at a young age (he looks young) if he is younger than 2? I'm just asking because htis has been a hot topic around here and there is much support for you and Rufus....plus ther is LOTS of misdiagnosis within the large breed community of dysplasia.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline lil rufus

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 05:46:36 am »
Rufus will be a year on the 25th of this month.  Our trainer noticed that he was "shuffling" his back legs so we took him in for x-rays.  We wer just about to go to a consultation at UGA when our trainer suggested the gold bead implants.  The purpose of gold bead implant and acupuncture is to stimulate & strenghten the muscles in his back legs so that they are not so dependent on the hip joint to move around.  It will not correct the problem like the hip replacement will but will allow him to live a good life pain free.  We have also stared him on glycoflex and fish oil.
I spoke with a couple of people last night who have had it done and they swear by it. (One guy had a mastiff who broke her back.)  He has his first accupuncture treatment on Saturday...so I will keep everyone posted on how it goes.  You have to have at least 3 acupuncture treatments before you do the gold beadimplant surgery just to make sure that he is positively reacting to it.
Thanks for your concerns and advice.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2005, 05:50:27 am by lil rufus »

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 08:05:28 am »
I've been taking my Newf to a holistic vet for acupuncture to try to help him stablize his rear end from all the anti-seizure drugs that he's been on to control epilepsy.  I read about the gold bead procedure for epilepsy treatment, and according to this vet, it just doesn't work to control seizures.  There has been a lot of research on it at the Univerisity of Florida Vet School (Dr. Clemons) and it  hasn't panned out.  Our first Newf had no hip socket on one side and severe dysplasia on the other side. We did a hip replacement on the really bad side and he was great (after getting over the surgery) for three years.

I think to try anything that doesn't hurt them is great as long as you understand the limitations of the procedure.  It's not a cure.

Offline lil rufus

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 12:33:41 pm »
Rufus had his first treatment of accupuncture on Saturday and seems to be doing well......
He is acutally getting the sit command on the first try now and is not hesitant anymore to that command. We think that it was very uncomfortable to sit due to the hip issues.  We have "puppy graduation" tonight so wish us luck.  :)  I will keep you posted on his future treatments.
Thanks-

Offline NatsaintB

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2005, 12:41:32 pm »
Bless his heart!  Give him a big sloppy kiss for me and Leo!

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2005, 02:24:17 pm »
get well soon Rufus, he is such a cutie :)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2005, 04:28:57 pm »
Glad to hear that Rufus is doing better. Keep us updated on his progress!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Rufiesmom

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2005, 04:52:32 pm »
From one Rufus to another...hang in there!  Hope you feel better too!

Offline lil rufus

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2005, 05:27:38 am »
woohoo...we graduated last night and are now moving on to "off-leash" training!!!!!  We were such proud parents last night...haha 

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2005, 06:43:37 am »
WOOOHOOO!!Your the man Rufus!!! Glad to hear he is feeling better hope the accupuncture works for him. Keep us posted.
Karen
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

dohertyswissy

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2005, 09:31:55 am »
Yahoo!  Congrats Rufus - Good going!!!  (note to my puppy Ranger:  Do you see that Ranger?   See how good Rufus did?  Let's be like Rufus!  LOL!  :D )

Glad to know he is feeling better.   Please keep us posted on his progress!  We are all rooting for him!

Hugs,

Heather and Ranger