Author Topic: newfie mix needs home  (Read 14865 times)

Offline paigecleve

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
newfie mix needs home
« on: May 17, 2005, 09:28:29 am »
I rescued Bear from the APL about a year ago and must admit that I haven't been trying very hard to find him a home b/c he's so well- behaved.  I found out recently that I got a position in Washington, DC and have not been able to find an apt that will allow me to bring a 120 lb dog with me.  If you would be interested in adopting Bear or can provide a new foster home for him, please contact me immediately.  I will be moving Memorial Day weekend and I'm reallly concerned about him.  I will not take him to a shelter for fear that he won't survive.  He was extremely depressed at the APL and they were going to euthanize him b/c he wouldn't respond to anyone so had little hope of finding a home.

Bear is about 5 years old, housebroken, neutered and up to date on shots.  He is good with kids of all ages and other dogs.  He does like to chase cats but he does not try to eat them.  He is fine being left alone for long periods of time.  He doesn't chew anything but he does steal slippers and socks sometimes.  He makes a great guard dog b/c he barks when someone comes to the house but turns into a big baby as soon as they get in the door.

I currently live in the Cleveland, OH area and can arrange a time for you to see him.
Paige
paigecleve@earthlink.net
(216) 470-8680

Jen

Re: newfie mix needs home
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 12:10:10 pm »
Oh he is so handsome!  My male great Pyr will not tolerate another male dog in the home.  Have you contacted another Newfie rescue group in your area?  Unfortunitly they get so busy with rescues of full newfies that I am not sure they would take a mix but they might.  Have you treid going that route?

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 02:32:56 pm »
What a sad story, it's upsetting thinking that such a handsome dog can't find a home and the only alternative is to euthanize him.  That is just WRONG!  If only the apartment owners did their homework on dogs and realized that big dogs, especially Newfs, are ideal for apartments.  They don't need a lot of room and are very quiet.  I am in California and in contact with people in our local rescue society.  Maybe they can help, although Bear is a Newf mix, he's still a Newf.  Go to this link:   

http://www.ncnc.org/Rescue/rescue.htm

Good luck with this situation and do the right thing, find this dog a home.  Expose him to as many people as possible, take him everywhere you can.
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 07:34:07 pm »
I live in Charlotte, NC I will try to help you out, I hate to hear that they will not allow him. What if you offered to pay a deposit until they see how he is.  That is ridiculous. I will let you know if I can find someone.

Jen

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 11:07:31 am »
Theres a recue foster home group for newfie called P.O.N.C Rescue.
It stands for Pennsylvania Ohio Newfoundland Club Rescue. They are in your area.  They have lots of foster home connections.  I beleive they are also in your neck of the woods.  GOOD LUCK AND KEEP US POSTED! WBS please