Author Topic: Questions for unexpected addition to family!  (Read 8288 times)

EllieAndBlu

Questions for unexpected addition to family!
« on: January 23, 2006, 04:27:24 pm »
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 03:18:35 am by EllieAndBlu »

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
Re: Questions for unexpected addition to family!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 04:36:14 pm »
For the loose poops I know that some people on hear add some pumpkin to the food to add some fiber, also some fiber cereal but not all dogs like this.
For the seperation I have heard of some herbal remedies to help calm the nerves and the is also a spray it think that does the same thing(but don't quote me on the spray, I remember reading it but I am very fuzzy on it) Also have you tried crating him when you are gone, maybe put a blanket or sweater in with him that has you scent on it. This is what we do and we leave the TV on cartoons and that seems to work.

Just some ideas, I know that others will respond and give you plenty more ;D

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 05:22:50 pm »
Hi!  My Dane baby didn't have solid poops till he was a year old (He had cow pies.  Ew.).  I finally got him on Innova Evo, and that's the only thing that's worked.  Sometimes you just have to keep trying different things till you find what works.  I know that Wellness and Merrick are two foods to stay away from for sensitive tummies. 

As for the SA, try Rescue Remedy or Lavdender oil.  I use it on transports.
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 06:22:46 pm »
Try giving him cooked white rice and boiled chicken.  That is bland enough to help settle his stomach, and then ease him on to a premium food, mixing the chicken and rice with the food for at least a week to avoid upsetting his tummy again.   A couple of tablespoons of pumpkin (the pure stuff...not pie mix) for diarrhea and loose stools also works.

I always leave the radio on to a classica station (soft music) and usually a stuffed bone or treat as I walk out the door.  Maybe that could help??  :D

You guys are so good to bail him out of 'jail'!!!

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 06:56:16 pm »
The boiled chicken & rice diet is what my vet recommended for Bo when she had an upset tummy from IBS/Pancreatitis.  She could also have low-fat cottage cheese to sweeten the deal.
For separation anxiety, leaving the BEST treat with them is a nice way to say that your departure isn't necessarily a bad thing.  I like to stuff Bo's Kong with frozen cooked chicken (Trader Joes sells it pre-cooked and in strips in a bag).  I really jam it in there so that she has to work to get it.  I don't give her the chicken at any other time, so she's now associated the chicken coming out of the freezer with good things ahead!  I also leave the radio or tv to a news station where there's contstant talking.  The silence is often overwhelming for them, especially if it's a new house.  besides, if the dog has been at a vets/boarders for months, odds are he's used to lots of sounds around him that he's unable to check out, so he might have some trouble getting used to his freedom.  Hang in there & great job for being a kind soul to rescue a beautiful dog!!
Jenn, Bo & Floyd
"Be the change you wish to see in the world"-Gandhi

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 10:53:15 am »
Thanks Y'all for the insight and great advice - - - this is seriously the best group ever - such caring people!

I am going to try to get the big guy settled and comfortable... . he is happy at the house but his anxiousness is driving my roommate a little crazy... mind you she has three chihuahuas and a lab, in addition to her sister's daschund and cat... so she's already crazy  ;D

Anyhow - I love the big guy - esp. when we watch t.v. curled-up together in HIS favorite chair - and all 70-pounds of him falls sound asleep in my lap.... with his head resting under my chin. It is the sweetest thing ever... and quite a sight to see.

So, I am going to implement y'all's insightful suggestions today....  after trips to the grocery and pet store.

Also - when I picked Riley up from the vet after work.... the vet said he wanted us to feed the big guy a bland dry dog food..... lamb and rice or chicken and rice.... 

Any brand suggestions?

I am going to feed him chicken and rice while giving him the 7 days worth of medicine prescribed by the vet.... but  then I would like to re-introduce a dry food after that to keep his pearly whites sparkling.

Thanks again for your help - y'all are the greatest!

« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 11:51:18 am by EllieAndBlu »

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 11:37:28 am »
I'm using Natural Balance Duck and Potato.....all ergy formula which seems to do good things for Chester, my 11 month old Newf.  He had problems with itchey skin on every other food he's tried.  So far so good.  It sounds like Riley is in the very best place he could be....in your lap! ;D I love it!

Thanks for caring so much about him!  You are doing all the right stuff, in my opinion!

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 12:17:50 pm »
Riley is so cute!  And, so lucky to have you to rescue him.  Thank you!  Falling asleep in your lap...that is so adorable! :)

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2006, 12:25:26 pm »
awwww thanks.....

watching him climb into my lap is hysterical.... he settles-in with a purpose...  I'll try to get my roommate to snap a photo of the big-guy and me all nestled together.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2006, 03:19:49 pm »
Is Riley a permanent addition to your family or are you fostering him?

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2006, 04:40:35 pm »
That is a question that tugs at my heart strings...

Riley was brought to the house with the intention of fostering him... and
my roommate and I have at times both said we have to find Riley a permanent home, but yet neither one of us will do it.

She is the one who has been saying it recently...  for which I then look the other way.

Ultimately - we all want what is best for Riley - and cant bare the thought of him being tossed from home to home - esp. with all he's been through.

So to answer your question..... I just don't really know.... I am just so torn.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 04:49:25 pm by EllieAndBlu »