Author Topic: strange bump  (Read 13138 times)

Offline Sullivan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
strange bump
« on: May 18, 2005, 11:25:10 am »
I found this strange bump on Seamus' back.  Above his hair it feels like it could be a tick and then when you look at it, it is flesh colored.  It has been there for at least 2 weeks, but who knows how long it has been there under all that hair.  My dad is a Dr. (for people) he said that b/c it is soft it is probably a mole.  I've never heard of dogs getting moles.  Is it normal?
There is always a possibility that it is a tick who got it's head stuck.  We've had that scare a few times and he has taken medication to prevent against blood diseases and stuff.  Do you guys think I should take him to the vet, or just watch it to see if it changes sizes or anything?  Let me know if anyone has a clue.

Offline Sullivan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: strange bump
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 01:18:37 pm »
He probably did kiss a toad, they are all over our yard, as we live by a pond. ;D
Thanks for the info.  That makes me feel much better.  I'll do some research and see what I can find. 
Thanks again!

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 03:26:01 pm »
I found a "bump" on Apollo's hind leg one day. It was flesh-colored, but slightly red or "irritated" looking. I called the Vet, and they said it sounded like a cyst. We took him in and they confirmed it. They gave us a cream and said if it burst, or broke, to bring him back in (danger of abscess). After about a week on the cream, it "dissolved" (for lack of a better term) and we've had no further problems.

I would call your Vet, describe the anomally, and let them advise you on what to do. It's more than likely nothing to be concerned about, but if it's something scary or serious, early treatment could be crucial. A phone call would be a very good idea.

Best of luck, and let us know what it turns out to be.
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 05:29:52 pm »
It is probably nothing major- but it also could be a hot spot. If irritated and he's been scratching hten he can get to the flesh and keep it that color. But I'm sure he's a-ok Let us know what you find out though.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 11:52:33 pm »
If it is like a skin piece, it is probably just a wart, it is very common in older dogs, but not only. I think all my old dogs have developed them and when I was grooming I saw a lot of them on both old and young dogs. My guess that it is nothing to worry about as long as it does not look like it is irritated or getting bigger. Mind you, I live by the rule, one vet too many to the vet is better than one too few. I think I would give my vet a call and ask what he thought, just to be on the safe side. Good Luck, and let us know how it goes.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2005, 09:43:34 am »
Sounds like a wart or a benign growth.  Probably not anything to worry about, but keep on top of it.  Your pup IS SO FLIPPING CUTE!!!  As much as we love our big dog, it would be great to get another pup.  Hmmmm......
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2005, 09:18:42 am »
If he has had recent immunizations, he can develop a lump there where the fluid actually stays in place for months.  On your next visit to the vet, have it checked out.  It's probably harmless!

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2005, 09:25:32 am »
For me, only the veterinarian can tell in the end...for my final peace-of-mind.  Dogs do develop mole-like growths - just like people, especially as they grow older.  And, of course, it is reasonable to assume they have growths/moles we never noticed before.  I found an interesting bit of information I did not know recently when I took Lou to the vet to check a strange spongy mass on his chest area.  It is oblong/irregular in shape and feels like a small pack of ketchup just under his skin.  The vet informed me that if he is part Labrador Retriever, which he is, then he may develop fat deposits.  I was relieved to learn this new information.  It occurs as dog ages.  It may happen with other breeds, too, but I don't think it happens to rottweilers, which is his other heritage.
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner