Author Topic: Training collar  (Read 24955 times)

ann

Re: Training collar
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2005, 06:31:36 pm »
i have to disagree with choke collars not causing pain they do and most people do not know how to use them and yes prong collars will cause pain too but i have seen to many people walking down the street choking the h*ll out of thier poor dog ..but with the prong a dog will not pull..i sell pet supplies and choke collars are considered outdated and not affective by most that we don't even sell them anymore...

ann

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2005, 07:59:54 pm »
It seems that this has turned into a debate about choke & prong collars when I believe the origional post was about the posters concern about why this particular instructor wants them to use one...I felt that she was uneasy with the request as in her previous classes they didn't use these types of collars...I would contact the instructor & find just what methods he/she uses before attending...& please let us know how things turn out.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2005, 09:21:06 pm »
Ty for hearing me...I wasn't trying to step on anyone's toes by any means!....God knows I have had to use tactics with Samson that weren't reccomended in our classes...Like you said, "different strokes for different folks" or dogs as the case may be....B.t.w., the big fluffy dog...What in the heck is that?...lol...I want one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2005, 09:21:34 pm »
First I would like to say, if all the requirements were clear when you paied your fee, you can either get it back, or simply tell her, what you feel you are comfortable with using. Without a doubt it does sound like it is a somewhat strange approach, since more or less all obedience schools today are strictly against using chokers in class. Personally I don't think it should be used on a puppy, other than that, well like another poster said, they all have pros and cons, and if used the right way. I think the golden rule should be, not to use more "force" or "power" than that perticular dog really needs, and most of all, don't ever use something you are not comfortable with yourself and feel is needed for your dog. it is YOUR dog, and if you feel bad about it, I am sure he will too, and then it is a bad class just waiting to happen.

It would be real interesting to hear what this trainer say about why you need chooker on him, please keep us updated and good luck to you with your training

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2005, 03:40:11 am »
I have to disagree with the statement that dogs do not pull with a prong collar because I tried it with Ace a few years back and he still pulled, it was more like he pull and it hurt, pull and hurt pull and hurt and on and on.  My dog is very sensitive.  I took him to a behaviourist and she had me take it off him immediately, so maybe they do work for other dogs but not mine.

All in all anything can be bad if not used properly.

Offline meg

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2005, 06:12:55 am »
It isn't just my dog that needs the collar, it is all that are enrolled in her classes.  Some pretty small dogs too, cocker and pomerinian.  I think a german shepard and rotwieler were going to be there too.  The dogs were not present at the first session, so she has seen none of them.

The collar issue is also in contrast about only using postive training, and never hit your dog (don't know how anyone would condone that)...it is confusing.  I will let you know.  Calling today to express this concern and if she is willing to do any alternatives.

I will let you know.   Thanks you all sooooo much.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2005, 06:21:01 am by meg »

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • we breed for quality, not quantity.TOP PEDIGREES,
    • View Profile
    • http:www.taijinrhodesianrhodesianridgebacks
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2005, 08:03:35 am »
pinch colar??????????
i don't think so

please get a new place to go for obedience

a good trainer does not need to use a PINCH COLAR
TAIJIN Rhodesian Ridgebacks

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • we breed for quality, not quantity.TOP PEDIGREES,
    • View Profile
    • http:www.taijinrhodesianrhodesianridgebacks
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2005, 08:30:56 am »
grrrrrrrrrrrrr rrr
 on the pinch colar  the more i think about it  the madder i get  especially on a golden  they learn so easy

ok  this is a brag  as far as we know  we have the youngest ridgeback in AKC history to get a CGC
never ever did we use a pinch
reward and repeat    here is a very old photo  from the CGC win
  we miss nyobi  she has been placed  a long time ago in a therapy home. and our little boy is now a man.
TAIJIN Rhodesian Ridgebacks

GR8DAME

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2005, 05:16:03 pm »
Just because someone's training methods differ from yours doesn't make that person  a bad trainer. And because I do use a pinch collar on my dogs doesn't make me a cruel or uncaring owner. I'm glad that your ridgeback trained so easily on a different collar, and wouldn't take anything away fron her great accomplishment s. That doesn't mean that my danes and other dogs will do as well with the same methods. I don't mean to step on any toes, but I am offended by the notion that one trainer or collar fits all. It just ain't so, folks. If you are not comfortable with the trainer, by all means, find someone else whose methods suit you better, but don't slam people like my trainer whose methods suit me very well.
Stella

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2005, 05:27:07 pm »
Stella, I hope I have not offended you,  I truly did not mean to if so and I dont think anyone else did either, mind you I see your point and lets all try and not get quite as excited, hmmm is that why my hubby says we women tend to run away and say things before we think lol.... I used to use chokers when training German Shepherds, and I am aware of that different dogs need different methods.

I still think that a trainer should tell everyone exactly what is expected of them when it comes to a thing like the collar before they sign up and pay, so you have a choice if you want to go there or choose another trainer or another method.

Hugs and hope you dont feel bad, absolutely no need to, I am sure petsmarts sales statistics can prove that lol...

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

nickerbokker

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2005, 05:38:41 pm »
, but I am offended by the notion that one trainer or collar fits all. It just ain't so, folks. If you are not comfortable with the trainer, by all means, find someone else whose methods suit you better, but don't slam people like my trainer whose methods suit me very well.
Stella

everyone has a different way of learning.  i know this is a bad example, but it is an easy one.  and that is that i cannot learn by reading thing.  if i watch a movie on how to do something, i will do it right the first time and every time after...if i look at a picture book, i can do it right...if someone sits with me and shows me, they will never have a need to do so again...but put me infront of a book without pictures and i will absolutely not be able to figure out the most simple thing.  i just learn things different than everyone else.  thats why there are so many different methods in schools now, cuz they recognize that all the kids dont learn the same way.  again, bad example, and thank goodness i never needed a collar lol, but its what i think of it as.  just because one dog learns with a pinch doesn't mean another will...just because one learns with positive rewards doesn't mean one will...you would think lol, but not so.

cody was SOOOO easy to train.  he was the star in class, the teacher always used him because she would say something to him once, show him how to do it, and he would do it forever.  he was perfect.  i didn't need a pinch or choke, to yell, nothing...i used treats and that was all he cared about.  mr wangus on the other hand....hes a different story.  he doesn't respond to a pinch, a choke, or treats.  all he wants is to pull me and drive me crazy.  he doesn't respond to firm NOs, he doesn't respond to rewards and praise....he is the devil.....(but on a side note, earlier today he wasn't barking like he usually does for some reason...he is however back to it full force now)....

anyway.....one size doesn't fit all.  it never does.  i buy those one size fits all socks...and THEY NEVER FIT ME.  just anther bad example.  lol...i could go on and on....but i just am laughing too hard at how dumb i sound to keep typing LOL....

LATER

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2005, 06:34:37 pm »
You are funny Nicki! Thanks for picking up the mood in this topic. I guess if one size did fit all then we'd all be models walking around with our dogs in our purses since that seems to be the trend htese days.  :D
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline meg

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2005, 06:43:08 pm »
Thanks Nicki, can just picture you at your computer laughing up a storm.  You do have a good point.

Only thing, I would never make it with the models with the dogs in their purses....have only owned big, huggable, loveable dogs, LOL

nickerbokker

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2005, 07:09:44 pm »
LOL....my cousin goes to USC...and she says ever since legally blonde all the girls bring their friggin rats to school in their purses....

im gonna apply there, and if i get in, im bringing angus and cody.