Author Topic: Swiffer mop/Fabreeze users  (Read 1714 times)

Offline BellaRoosMom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Swiffer mop/Fabreeze users
« on: January 27, 2006, 10:22:59 am »
Okay, I hope I don't get sued for this...my friend told me last night, that her mom said not to use swiffer mops or fabreeze because they leave a "antifreeze like" film on the floor.  I know that air fresheners like fabreeze and the spray kind work because they are heavier than the "stinky air" and drag it down to the ground where we can't smell it.  But who is lurking on the floor?  Our kiddos, both fur lined and skin lined.  So my question is, has anyone heard that either of these products could potentially be toxic?  The swiffer is supposed to be toxic because you mop your floor with it, and then they lick the floor occasionally to clean up treats or spills we make.  Then something in it slowly poisions our pets, and can cause liver damage, much like antifreeze would.  Is this true?  I've used fabreeze for two to three years now, and have used the mop thing for about six months.  Any info you have with a credible source for me to check out would be awesome.

mjjensen

Re: Swiffer mop/Fabreeze users
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 10:32:39 am »
There was another thread about this back on Jan. 11 in the general forum called  Dangerous cleaning! It had a lot of good information about those cleaning products.

Offline Svnt4God

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Website
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 10:42:20 am »
This is an internet HOAX ... there are way too many of them out there.

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/swiffer.asp

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/febreze.asp

Offline BellaRoosMom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 11:00:20 am »
Thank you both for your replies.  I'm just curious, and not trying to insite panic.  I figured that short of calling my vet on a weekend, I could ask you guys cause you'd probably know something.  I read both articles, and the snopes disclaimer page.  Not that I don't believe but I'm always cautious when it comes to health issues- both human and pet.  Thanks again.   :)