Author Topic: Food for Irritable Doggie Stomachs  (Read 11201 times)

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
Food for Irritable Doggie Stomachs
« on: May 19, 2005, 09:55:35 am »
I'm seeing a lot of posts and comments from people mentioning that their dogs have loose stools or problems with their food.  Drake has had this problem since he was a pup and we went through so many different brands of food.  We finally found Flint River Ranch and he has been fine ever since.  I am only mentioning this because I know big dogs have this problem and it looks like many of you are dealing with it.  It is a bit expensive, but it is worth it for your dogs health and it can be delivered regularly to your house.  Here's the link and hopefully this will help some of you like it did for us.  Let me know what you think!!!

http://www.flint-river-dog-food.com/
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Food for Irritable Doggie Stomachs
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 08:48:43 am »
Does that food work for Newf puppies?  Chester is on ProPlan right now and seems to be doing fine, but I'm concerned about whether it is the right food for him.  He refuses to eat it plain...so I mix the broth from the big boys cooked food on it so at least Chester thinks he's getting the same thing.  Hopefully I haven't upset the balance!!!

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 09:22:10 am »
Drake is the same way, he won't eat dry dog food.  We absolutley have to put something in it or he won't eat it.  We usually cut up a little lunch meat or leftover dinner meat and put it in some warm water.  Even just a little parmesan cheese in warm water is enough.  He just likes the little touch of flavor and the water makes it easier to digest.  We've spoiled him and now there's no going back.  We've had him on this food ever since he was a pup.  We learned that it is not really good to give Newfs puppy food.  Their nutritional needs are different and at a young age, they are already bigger than most full grown dogs.  Talk to your Breeder and/or Vet first, but I would just switch Chester over to big dog food.  They need the extra calories and nutrients because they grow so quickly and puppy food is not enough for them.  I would seriously consider switching to Flint River Ranch as well.  It is great food and Drake stopped having constant loose stools after switching over to it.  It's a bit more expensive but Chester and Cowboy will thank you.  ;D

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 10:50:46 am »
My Newf mix eats grass everytime we go outside.  He rarely throws up.  I think he just needs grass in his daily diet.  I feed him Science Diet Large Breed Adult.  Does anyone elses dog think that grass should be included on the menu?
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2005, 01:34:23 pm »
Regarding the grass issue:  This maybe an "old wives tale" (and I am one, so it fits! ;)) but I've heard that if they eat narrow-bladed grass, it's for the nutrient value, but the wide-blade grass is to settle their stomachs or throw up.  In cleaning up vomit (fortunetly, it's not often!) there usually is wide bladed grass in the mess.  What do you think?

Nicole

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2005, 04:47:14 pm »
I think that dogs need the "greenery" in their diets.

I haven't heard that there's difference in the size of the blades, just that grass is for settling stomachs. So I dunno. Interesting though, if dogs could tell just by the size of the blades!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2005, 04:50:55 pm »
We had that problem too until we found & settled on Solid Gold. It has made our lives so much happier.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Nicole

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2005, 04:53:22 pm »
I'm really satisfied with Wysong. Along with the "treats" I give Cabeza. (Yogurt, fruits and veggies, mackeral, etc.)

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2005, 08:53:24 am »
I think we are all coming to the conclusion that there is no one dog food for all dogs, even within the same breed.  What works for Drake, might not work for Bear, Chester or Yogi.  It kind of one of those things that you have to figure out for yourself.  Trial and error for the most part.  What food will help your dog's digestive problems, be something that they want to eat and will fit your budget.  It's weird, growing up we fed our Airedale Gravy Train, probably the crappiest dog food ever.  He ate it, loved it and had no stomach problems.  Go figure.

Offline luvmenewfs

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2005, 02:10:03 am »
This is an interesting discussion!

Our rescue had major problems with diet.  He showed up with problems that affected his intestinal tract.  Then the medicines we had him on made it even worse.  He didn't have a firm stool for over a month or more.  The vet we saw explained his intestines were probably raw and sore from stress factors (environmental and emotional from changing hands so much) and from the illness.  He said he tells all new owners of any pup or dog to use this routine and see if it works for them.

To clear up his situation we were told to ease up and give his intestines a chance to heal and not be so inflammed.  Food was held for 24 hours.  Then for 48 hours fed only yogurt.  Then every 48 hours if he was doing alright...we gave light meats and rice.  Such as boiled chicken breast, boiled hamburger, rice, then fish, then started giving him some kibbel.  He did wonderful and hasn't had a problem since.  With any food we feed him.  That was two years ago!