Author Topic: Hey y'all. Yet another Newbie.  (Read 7511 times)

Offline Jason

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Hey y'all. Yet another Newbie.
« on: May 19, 2005, 03:01:16 pm »
I ran across this site last week and think it is just great. Just wanted to introduce my little big boy, Oreo. This picture is a few years old as he is turning whiter by the day, but I'll try to post some recent shots soon.

nickerbokker

Re: Hey y'all. Yet another Newbie.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 03:07:53 pm »
well hello! 

this is a great board, and i know you will continue to LOVE it!  oreo is a good lookin feller by the way!  can't wait to see more pix!

Luvmydanes

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 03:33:21 pm »
Welcome!This site is great...you'll love it! Love Oreo...he's a beauty!

Kandi

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2005, 04:53:28 pm »
Hi Jason, and welcome. Hmmmm I think you are the only guy who has joined in a long long time, at least what I know of. I guess I better warn you from get go, sometimes here is some hubby/boyfriend/man bashing posts going on (nedless to say, I love them  ;D) I am actually thinking about starting a support group for all our poor hubbies, if they ever read all the things on here, they will for sure need it lol....  Nice to have you with us, Oreo is a very handsome man, give him big slobbers from me.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline Jason

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 05:32:40 pm »
I can handle a bit of Male bashing. As far as explaining male behavior patterns, not sure I can help you there. It's against the unspoken male bonding laws. ;)

Jason

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2005, 05:34:03 pm »
We would absolutely love to hear about that law too  ;D

Marit

Luvmydanes

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2005, 05:34:50 pm »
Oh come on!! You could help us solve all of our problems. LOL....

Kandi

GR8DAME

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2005, 06:14:10 pm »
Looking at Oreo is like seeing Merlin in four years. I wondered how he would age, not having a muzzle that could get any whiter. Welcome.
Stella

Offline Jason

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2005, 12:08:14 pm »
Stella,
Merlin looks alot like Oreo did when I first got him (age 2). He is now half past 8 and going strong. I'll see if I can dig up and old pic to show you the resemblance. Here is a more recent pic from Dec 2004.

GR8DAME

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2005, 12:26:10 pm »
Merlin was about 2 in that picture too. What a lovely big boy you have. It always amazes me that they can curl into such a small little ball... and still snore so loud!! LOL Would love to see some more pics. Between Oreo, Merlin and Jack, we almost have a mantle convention going on.
Stella

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2005, 01:03:10 pm »
You all have such pretty boys, I cant help but miss having danes, the gentle giants. Since I still lived in Sweden when I had and showed my danes, I have a question to you all. Here it seems to be harlequin and mantel that is most popular, at least from what I have seen on here, and the not too many danes I have met here. In sweden it was Fawn and Brindle that were most popular, the harlequin and mantel and the blue were popular but not quite as common as the other two colors.

Marit

Offline ting1sf

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2005, 01:13:15 pm »
Welcome to Big Paws :) Your Dane is sososo pretty :) Compare to Danes my GSD is Tiny :P
I rather love a dog than a human. Because you put  100% into a dog , you get 200% back. As for humans you sometimes you get nothing back.

Offline Jason

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2005, 04:04:14 pm »

Jason,

Oreo looks like a mismarked mantle. He looks a little to me like a merle. Granted I don't have the best eyes (middle age you know) or is that what comes of their color as they age?

Tina

I was told Oreo was a mantle. From his early coloring, I assume this to be true. He has definitely gotten whiter/grayer through the years. Here is a photo of him just after I got him. I forgot how young and timid he was until I dug this picture out.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2005, 04:25:08 pm »
Since those colors are most common in rescue, I would assume that, that is the colors most popular too. It is great that you all adopt dogs, it seems like most of the danes on here are adopted. Correct me if I am wrong  ;) both Buffy and Zeus are resques, Hera and Galahad are not. The danes I used to have were soooo wonderful, and I really miss them. It is never a good idea to generalize but I think the mastiffs are easier to get to eat good than it was with the danes, they tend to be picker I think, and lol..... at least mine drooled way way more than the mastiffs, especially my big boy Zorro, I was mopping slobbers from the ceiling, I guess that was what made my husband not wanting a dane (shouldnt have told him about that  ::)

Marit

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2005, 05:34:09 pm »
Hi Jason & welcome to the group!...These male bonding rules...Would that have anything to do with the reason my hubby had to go to the races tonight with his buddy instead of stay home & make sure I didn't lock his out of control demon spawn in the closet?...lol...Anywa y, your Dane is gorgeous!...That was one of my breeds I researched when I was choosing which breed of dog I wanted...I ended up with our Great Pyrenees, Samson...He has been a very naughty boy today along with his skin brother & sister...Wish I had gotten 3 Danes instead...lol. ..lol!!!