Author Topic: Fussy puppy  (Read 15199 times)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Fussy puppy
« on: May 19, 2005, 05:31:56 pm »
Chester-the-puppy doesn't like his food....at all!  He's 12 weeks, 27 pounds (24 last week) and he just picks at his food...maybe a 1/2 cup or less three times a day and has even occasionally skipped a meal all together. (Proplan Giant Breed Puppy)  The breeder said to continue offering it to him and pick it up after 10 minutes...whic h we've been doing.  I tried adding chicken broth (liked it a couple of times...and then no more!), a tablespoon of shredded chicken, (nope, not that either).  So we are back to just dry like he was back with the breeder.  Any suggestions?  A friend of mine pointed out that our adult Newf, who is epileptic gets fresh cooked meat and veg twice a day (there is some thought that grains can make seizures worse) and maybe the puppy resents his "gruel".  I'm at a loss here...but he does have plenty of energy and is definately growing.  Let me know what you think!!

Thanks!

Luvmydanes

Re: Fussy puppy
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 05:37:43 pm »
I will be curious to see what replies you get cause Jasmine has been doing the same thing. I haven't tried chicken broth, but I may now. We give her dry dog food and she eats so little, it sometimes worries me. And she isn't drinking very much. I am hoping I am just used to seeing Dane drink like a horse and so I am not used to the little drinkers. :)

Kandi

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 05:38:50 pm »
As long as he put on weight and doesnt look underweight I wouldnt worry, it may be that he sees and smells what your other dog eats though. One of my danes she used to be very picky as a puppy too, and it was to the point where she did not put on weight. I had to put water in the food and "swell" it then make little meatballs of it and roll them over the floor, she chased them and ate them, thankfully we didnt have to do that for too long, let me tell you, it takes an awful long time to roll little meatballs three times a day. Good Luck

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

nickerbokker

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2005, 05:43:37 pm »
coffee just went up my nose and i choked on it reading about the meatballs LOL......the visual of that is hysterical.

what crazy people will do for their kids

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 06:26:25 pm »
Bear is picky too. We finally found a kibble he loves and a "meat" thing to compliment it but the best added ingredient for him is left over meat from mom or dad's plate. He also gets extra goodies that warm his appetite and make him want to eat anything, so then his food seem seems more appealing. Just hang in there and try as many foods as you can until you find one you can both live with! Until then, I'd say experiment away with what you've got inthe fridge & cupboards.  :)
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2005, 06:33:57 pm »
My babies (pyrs) will not eat if I do not add a little cottage cheese, cheese soup.  I just add enouth to make they like the tast.   Sometime I add a cooked egg or a cut up hotdog.  They liked green beans for awhile but will not eat them now.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Luvmydanes

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2005, 06:48:24 pm »
I tried putting chicken broth in Jasmines food tonight at dinner time and she is eating like a champ!! Thanks for the suggestions guys...such a big help!

Kandi

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2005, 08:08:03 pm »
Meat balls!!!  I'm hysterical!!!  OMG!!!  We really are all absolutely nuts!!!  Fun~but certifiable!  I thought cooking for Cowboy twice a day was bad!  MEATBALLS!!!  I LOVE it!!!

Offline morticiaangie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2005, 08:14:13 pm »
My female greyhound used to go finicky on me on occasion - I would shake a little parmesean (sp?) cheese over her kibble and then she would eat it up - it is stinky and tastes pretty good - two things a dog can't resist. I could not afford for her to lose any weight - she is already on the thin side - high metabolism - God am I ever jealous!!! I had a lot of trouble getting her to eat - I did some food research and started her on a new kibble - it is amazing how much better she is eating - LOVES her new food!!! It is called Premium Edge and is sold through feed stores primarily. Coats looks great - poopy is firm - everyone is eating well - all is good at our house!!! Good luck!!
"The life given us by nature is short; but the memory of a well-spent life is eternal."
~ Cicero 106-43 BC

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2005, 09:52:28 pm »
Hmmm, when the boys are feeling "icky" we steam some warm rice for them and add that to their food with a splash of warm water. It's a nice temperture, and they love it. Never tried the chicken broth before, will have to remember that for next time.

~meatballs....I love the visual~
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2005, 12:52:12 am »
 ;D need any help in picturing it?? I sat on the floor, with a bowl of food between my legs, made a ball and rolled it over the floor, while I did the - ohhh go get, yeeees thats a goood girrrrrl, mmmmmm hurry mommy will eat it - okay now picture it about 25-30 times each feeding times that by 3 and now I know you are laughing your heads off, do I need to say that I didnt laugh all that hard at the time. Now it is funny though, and I would do it all over again if I had to. Hmmm now I see what the charm with toy breeds is lol....

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2005, 01:24:06 pm »
I also have fussy eaters. I always have to monitor who's eating & who's walking away, then we have swapping issues. I don't get upset about them not eating, everyone's weight is good. I add cooked chicken & warm water to thier kibble. Kiya hasn't wanted breakfast in a long time so I offer it to her dry so I don't have to throw it away & give it to her again at diner. If Chaz leaves her bowl both Kiya & Apache dive in like they were starving. Chaz gets proplan sensive skin/stomach, personally I think it smells funky like fishy, I'd rather eat the other kibble. I would worry if no one wanted cookies, theres alway's an appietite for cookies.
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2005, 02:13:07 pm »
I tried putting chicken broth in Jasmines food tonight at dinner time and she is eating like a champ!! Thanks for the suggestions guys...such a big help!

Kandi

Make sure its the low sodium chicken broth so the dog is not getting too much salt. Its much better for them.  :)
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2005, 09:09:47 am »
It's true!  I'm so used to cooking for Cowboy that I don't even think about it!  We are lucky to have a "raw food" store in the neighborhood and they carry a line that doesn't contain bone so it can be cooked.  I add probiotics and enzymes and calcium, an occasional egg and fish oil.  There's a line of food additives called "Aamix" and it contains vegtables and seeds that help make his cooked food complete.   He's doing as well as we can expect.  His coat is beatiful and all his blood work is in the normal range.  I've ended up taking a few tablespoons of the broth from his food and coating Chester's kibble and the problem seems to be gone.  Chester is now gobbling up his food, I think, because it smells like what Cowboy is eating.

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2005, 09:16:00 am »
My mother does the same for her dogs.  She cooks from scratch a medley of nutrients, veggies, and grains that are suitable for them.  She rescued almost all of her dogs and, at one time, kept nine of them, but a few became very old and passed away, unfortunately.  It is hard work cooking for all of them, but they all stay as healthy as can be expected for old doggies.  She has only one that is a larger breed, a red-bone coon hound mix.  The others are dachshund, yorkie, pom and (imagine this) dachshund/chihuahua mix. :o
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner