Author Topic: Fussy puppy  (Read 15201 times)

Offline yogibear

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: Fussy puppy
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2005, 03:34:34 pm »
When I read about your problem, it sounded all too familiar. My Newf puppy (at 12 weeks old) who was also on Pro Plan large breed puppy food, suddenly stopped eating. Nothing I did would interest him in his food. The breeder suggestions I received were the same...put the food down for 10 minutes, then pick it up. (the idea was, he would see that I took it away, and be very interested in it next time) Well, this did not work, nor did adding chicken, broth, cheese, or yogurt. I tried everything.  I was so upset because he just kept loosing weight and not eating. Finally I took him to his vet where he was diagnosed with anorexia.....y es, anorexia! The vet prescribed medication that stimulated his appetite. This worked very well (except the pills made him VERY hyper) He was on meds for about 2 weeks, then his appetite picked back up, and he has been fine ever since.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Fussy puppy
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2005, 03:43:05 pm »
How strange about the anorexia!  Chester has begun eating well after I mix a tablespoon or so of Cowboy's broth on his food...but I wonder if there is any connection with the Proplan brand of food?  He WILL not eat it plain!  Since Cowboy only eats twice a day, Chester is now eating twice a day. It seems to  be working out fine.  I still worry about upsetting the balance of protein, fats, potassium, etc. but I think his eating is the most important thing!  Hopefully, he'll grow up to be big and strong!