Author Topic: Kiya seizure update  (Read 2724 times)

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Kiya seizure update
« on: February 04, 2006, 07:03:01 pm »
Hi everyone. Im very sad to say, Kiya had a siezure this morning around 6am. Everything seemed to be fine & I was hoping  we would be reducing the dose of phenobarbitol soon. I'll keep an eye on her & Im calling the vet tomorrow, we'll have blood drawn to check her levels. Im so disheartened. My poor girl. I think the drugs helped her, the seizure didn't seem as violent & long as the first time. She didn't pee on herself it took about a half hour for her to really calm down.
Oh well. We'll take one day at a time & do all the fun things we do & be happy.
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
Re: Kiya seizure update
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 07:45:04 pm »
Oh darn.  Poor Kiya, that must be scary.  We're sending you good thoughts and you are all in our prayers.  I'm sure you'll be able to work out the dosage and keep her healthy and seizure free.  Hang in there.

Kiahpyr

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 09:18:54 pm »
Poor Kiya! That must have been really scary. We're sending good thoughts your way.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 01:02:06 am »
Have you tried Potassium Bromide yet?  It is as good as pheno but I don't think it's as drugging.  Don't worry too much, there are so many anti-seizure drugs and sometimes using a combination gets seizures under control.  Cowboy was on a combination of pheno, bromide and gabapentin...h e's been weaned off pheno now and is still seizure free for almost 7 months...finge rs crossed, knocking on wood! ::)  Have you looked at any of the canine epi sites?  They are a great source information and hope!  I really like http://www.canine-epilepsy.net/ and Cowboy and his breeder have participated in their study.

Good luck and you have my strongest good wishes that Kiya will be stable soon!!!!

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 10:42:10 am »
I don't have any advise for you but I did want to let you know that I am very sorry your baby is having difficulties.  I hope you get a handle on the issue very quickly :-[

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 11:05:53 am »
Hi there, actually Kiya's been on a combo of pheno & pb since the begining. Were going to the vets tonight to have blood drawn. I was on the sites they are very helpfull. I didn't panic, kept my cool. Worst thing is now I find myself jumping up to look at her, all night. Went out on the bicycle yesterday & this morning, she seemed more "lathargic" then usual. We took it easy. We almost made 3 months I guess the count starts over again, so much for "enviromental causes".
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 01:01:18 pm »
I completely understand!  Unless you've lived with an epi dog, you have no idea how fast you can wake in the middle of the night, how quickly you pick up an unusual sound and how your life gets turned upside down with a seizure.  Maybe ask your vet about Gabapentin (neurontin).  It is what has done wonders with Cowboy....no seizures since JUNE of last year.  The down side is the expense...I order from Canada.  As my husband and I look at it, we could pay in vet bills or we can pay in medication costs.  I'd rather do the meds. costs since he's doing so well. 

You have my complete sympathy!  I do understand! :(