Author Topic: ppl drive me nuts.  (Read 6318 times)

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
ppl drive me nuts.
« on: February 05, 2006, 11:22:32 am »
I have a woman in my beginner dog training class.  Ok everydog that comes into my classes i know can be helped.  I dont believe in an untrainable dog.  Some dogs just need more time and work then other dogs do. 
  Ok anyways... A divorced woman with two kids adopted a springer spaniel from the SPCA.  He is a year old and was a Katrina rescue.  The dog thrives for attention.  The woman has only been to two classes and expects miracles to happen when she is not willing to do anything to help. 
  Her nieghbor is one of my very good friends that shows and breeds springer and she is the person that i am getting my baby from.  Well her dogs are very calm and laid back and very well behaved.  This woman in my training class doesnt understand why her dog isnt like that.  Well first off the show dogs have been in classes since they were 10 weeks old and all of them are older than 3 they have calmed down. 
  This woman has basically said that is she does not stop him from jumping up, chewing, and digging then she is goingto get rid of him.  She told me that already this week that she was tempted just to open the gate and say have a nice life.  I dont think that she should be a dog owner and that she needs to give it back to the SPCA because ever dog is like this and goes through these stages. 
  He is just bored being outside and whenever they come and actually talk to him he is all over them because he doesnt want them to leave.  Well i am going over there this evening and looking at the yard and the circumstances that are gong on and tell her how to fix them.  I want to tell her that this dog needs a new owner that is going to be willing to work with him but dont know how to say it without offending her?  Any suggestions I really need my friends help. 
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel

cricket36580

Re: ppl drive me nuts.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 12:44:16 pm »
Glad I'm not in your shoes!  I'm afraid I would have to be very blunt....and very non-diplomatic.  I'll have to think about this a while.  I know the type person you are talking about and they just burn my butt.  One thing though, you could suggest that she read "Bones" and "The Other End of the Leash".   Point out that the other dogs were in classes and in the process of being trained from infancy too.   

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 01:02:10 pm »
Maybe she just needs to understand the importance of scheduling - especially with her being a single mother - and that the dog and playtime with the dog has to fit into that scheduling, even if it means the kids have to schedule playtime with the dog when they get home from school while Mom is getting dinner ready, and to include the dog in the household instead of leaving her outside.

Good luck. I hope it works out for the dog.

Jeanne
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 01:13:57 pm »
Oh man. Sounds to me like she is not a good dog owner. If she is actually considering setting the dog free... I wish she would just go ahead and take the dog back to the SPCA. Do you think she is serious or just frustrated???
I think adopting a rescue dog is a serious commitment and you shouldn't go into it in the first place unless you are REALLY dedicated to working through the dog's problems and issues. Is she going to take care of this dog if it becomes ill? Or will she complain then about medical costs too?
At least she is in a training class!

Good luck! I am like Cricket- I would be horrible at talking to someone like that *nicely* so I don't have any advice there!!! :-\

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 02:11:14 pm »
I have told her that she might not be the right home for him and she looked at me like i cant believe you just said that but my job is to help the dog not the ppl.  She doesnt work is at home all day and she is just refusing to work with him.  I told her about giving him back to the SPCA and she said that he is unpredictable and would not make a very suitable dog for anyone else but her. 
  If she gives them back to the spca i am scared that they will put him to sleep.  I am going to call them and ask what would they do if she brought him back.  Because if i ride by the road and see him on the side of it.   Y'all would have to come get me out of jail because i would kill her. LOL
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2006, 04:11:08 pm »
I really think the only thing you can do is be honest with her.  You already told her that hers might not be the best home for him, and from her reaction it appears she might not be the best home for anything.  If she can't realize that not every dog is great in every home, then there is not much you can do to get her to understand.

What I have told people in the past is if they do not have the time or energy to work with a high energy dog, then it might be better if they found a home for it where it got the attention it needs.  Of course you don't want to be mean about it, but it sounds like this lady need a reality check.  I'm really surprised the SPCA would adopt out a dog to someone who is not willing do work with it.  Perhaps you should call them and tell them what's up, they may be very interested to know how she is dealing with their rescue.

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2006, 04:25:52 pm »
Explain to her that you can't rescue a dog and expect it to be perfect the same day without any training.  A rescue dog takes as much time and effort as a puppy does if not more.  The dog is also high energy which requires all that more effort.  I'd at least call the ASPCA with a heads up on her and explain the situation and maybe have them help you educate her.  Also remind her the dog wasn't raised in the situation the neighbors dogs were raised in plus he went throught the added stress of Katrina and relocation.  Maybe work the kids they may be more open to helping have them do the classes.  If all else fails, be bluntly honest.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Titansmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2006, 04:43:02 pm »
If she was thinking of just opening the gate to let him free I would just take him and leave the gate open. Opps he must have ran away. She obviously isn't going to put in a effort to look for him

Sorry people just make me so angry at times when it comes to their pets.