Author Topic: Is a Fila right for my family?  (Read 37187 times)

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Is a Fila right for my family?
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2006, 08:28:14 pm »
:( ok, so we decided not to get this fila from the SPCA.  We visited him on Wednesday and there really wasnt any connection.  We wanted him for sure, but he didnt seem quite as interested as we were.  He showed great signs w/my son last Saturday, but it just seemed like he didnt want us.  My husband and I drove away from the SPCA kinda bummed.  My husband wanted to take him home and do a trial run, but I was just not comfortable with that idea.  The handler of the dog told us that he had also been doing research on the Gentle Giant Rescue down south (I'm in Sacramento)....does anyone have input on that? I saw a few posts mentioning the GG Rescue, but I can't find them now.  We would like this fila to find a good home, he is a good dog for the right person. 
STAY AWAY FROM GG!
I will PM you.
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2006, 12:55:33 am »
Just thought I would pass along this unsettling article that was sent to me the other day -  not to imply the Fila's owner was not telling the truth, but if you are going to adopt this breed, beware of the stats involved.

Dog Owners Hide The Truth From Shelters About Their Pets' Behavioral Problems (January 30, 2006) ­
 Many dog owners who relinquish their pets to animal shelters are not entirely honest about their dogs' behavioral problems -- probably for fear that their pets will be put to sleep, according to a study from the University of Pennsylvania and University of California veterinary schools. According to the researchers, these behavioral problems may sometimes pose a risk to an adopting family who could unknowingly take in an aggressive animal.

full story = http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/01/060130151722.htm

I have to agree with this.  When I got my Holly from the shelter we were told she gets along with cats (she doesn't), she likes men (not so much), she has basic training (very little, if any), and she's completely housebroken (tell that to my carpet and little green machine!).  While I love Holly and wouldn't trade her for the world (but maybe for a GSD  ;D), and I was prepared for an untrained dog, if she had been a more agressive breed (like the fila), the lies could have easily hurt us.  Also, how a dog acts in the pound is rarely how they will act in their own home.  Holly was a quite dog there but when she settled in, she suddenly became a  hyperactive mess that was very hard to deal with!  Imagine if it had been agression instead. 
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead

Offline gems

• Gnawer
  • my powerhouse crew....enya, mosamo & baby grissum
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2006, 08:18:35 pm »
i owned a rotti from 9wks till she passed a yr ago just a few days shy of her 11th b-day.  there will never be another, she was amazing!!!  now i have 1 dogue de bordeaux & 2 presa canarios.  i would say look into the dogue, they are a fantastic breed!!!!! they just adore children & are very loyal to their family but welcome visitors.  as long as they are socialized they should be good w/ other animals as well(mine got to daycare).  I would recommend a presa because they just adore children as well & are great natural gaurders but they are not for everyone!!!!  for this breed an owner must be alpha..."steel fist, velvet glove"motto here! they must be well socialized(human/dog) but are by nature dog aggressive.   i will never be w/out either of these breeds.  all mine are great w/ family(i live alone)& depending on the stranger's reason for being in their home are for the most part ok(strange friend ect.ok, cable man, ect...no way.LOL) just my opinion:-)

but whatever u choose, do it wisely & best of luck
dawn     

Offline 4DoggieMom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2006, 06:21:33 am »
I'm sorry that you had a disappointing visit w/ the Fila at the SPCA  :( but as they say everything happens for a reason and perhaps he wasn't meant to be with your family.  Big time kudo's to you for doing your homework though!  I would be hesitant to bring a Fila home with little ones only because you'll be having lots of strange little kids in and out of your house at some point. 

I would second, third, forth???? LOL the suggestion about a Newf or Newf mix. We share our home and heart with Finnegan a 5 year old Newf and he is just AWESOME with kids.  He actually cries and whines when he sees children because he wants to go and see them.  Their size alone is a great deterrent for possible threatening people.  Lots of people cross the street when I walking Finnegan because he is huge and black, even though he's the sweetest dog ever. 

I also have a Dane that is great with kids, although much more boisterious that the Newf. She is VERY active although that is not "usually" a breed trait.  It can vary depending on their lines. 

I have met many OEM's that were wonderful family dogs although I know someone that just returned hers to her breeder because the dog was less trustworthy around strange children. 

Good luck with your search!
Jen
Proud Dog Mom to:
"Finnegan" Wewinagin CGC RN - Newfie
h*ll on Wheels "Hexi" - Lab/Dal
P&R's Finest "Cadbury" Chocolate - Rat Terror

Nicole

« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2006, 11:20:01 am »
Hi!

Actually, that post is a few months old, and I think that they settled on a Dane.

Offline 4DoggieMom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2006, 02:50:26 pm »
Ohhh oopsie!  Serves me for not checking the date!
Proud Dog Mom to:
"Finnegan" Wewinagin CGC RN - Newfie
h*ll on Wheels "Hexi" - Lab/Dal
P&R's Finest "Cadbury" Chocolate - Rat Terror