Author Topic: Dog Behaviorist??  (Read 2009 times)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Dog Behaviorist??
« on: February 09, 2006, 02:03:12 pm »
OK. It seems like whenever one of us has an issue with behavior that none of us can figure out, we say, call a behaviorist!
Well, how did the behaviorist learn what they know? What are their credentials? Is there a school for dog behavior? Are they simply dog-trainers? Are there certifications they must go through? How do we know we can trust them?

I am very curious. I think I need to talk to one, but I want to know how it is that they know more than me. And what kind of questions do I need to ask them to make sure they really know what they are doing.

Any ideas, anyone? I know lots of folks here have consulted a behaviorist before. Also, is there another name for them? And are there any on BPO????
 ???
Thank you.

Kiahpyr

Re: Dog Behaviorist??
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 02:13:46 pm »
That's a great question! I love that picture of Nigel!

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 04:09:01 pm »
Hahaha........ .........I love what you named that pic.   :D

A dog trainer may be a behaviorist, and vice versa, but not necessarily b/c they aren't the same thing.  I know you can take classes in animal behaviorism, but not sure if there's a degree for it yet.  I believe you can get certified as a behaviorist, not sure how many of them do.  Most probably go from experience, working years with dogs.

For instance, I could say I am an animal behaviorist.  I've studied them for years, and dogs would be what I specialize in.  But, I don't call myself that unless someone is getting snotty with me and I have to pull credentials on them.   ;D  Plus, I am still learning at the same time, so this is not something I do professionally, but I do give out advice on the side to those who are asking for it.  Then if needed I tell them to get a professional. 

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 04:55:33 pm »

For instance, I could say I am an animal behaviorist.  I've studied them for years, and dogs would be what I specialize in.  But, I don't call myself that unless someone is getting snotty with me and I have to pull credentials on them.   ;D  Plus, I am still learning at the same time, so this is not something I do professionally, but I do give out advice on the side to those who are asking for it.  Then if needed I tell them to get a professional. 

When you say you have studied dogs, what do you mean? Have you taken classes or read books on your own, or have you been under the guidance of anyone? How do people find you to get advice from you? Sorry I am pounding you with questions, I am just really trying to get to the bottom of how people learn about canine behavior. :)

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 08:49:30 pm »
Actually, I've studied animals, not just dogs specifically.  I was a biology major in college, and would have majored in zoology, but couldn't afford out of state tuition.  Worked at a zoo for two summers (I know, that doesn't make me an expert), worked in 2 vet clinics, worked for Canine Companions for Independence, and now do pet sitting/dog walking to keep me busy.

I do read alot.  Mostly on breeds, but have learned alot on behavior while looking online.  I listen to what others have to say on training and behavior.  After awhile, you learn to tell the truth from the fiction.  To tell you the truth, I have no idea where I pick up most of my knowlede (if you can call it that)  Alot of it is I guess what you would call instinct.  Some people are just really good at "reading" dogs, and I can honestly say I'm pretty good at that.

No, I haven't taken classes, but am looking into doing that in the future if I can find a place close enough.  I haven't been under the guidance of anyone, but my mom did raise us to respect animals and pay attention to what they are doing, so I guess that goes along with being able to read them pretty well.  As for giving out advice, I'm a member of several web groups and off and on pop in and answer questions (not specifically asked to me, but questions to the general population) if an interesting one catches my eye.  I also go to the dog park 6 days a week, and twice a day three days a week (when I bring one of my dog clients there later in the day).  I am known as one of the "dog experts" there, although I prefer to just listen and only pop in when I know someone is giving out bad advice.

Like I said, I'm NO expert, and I don't do it professionally .  It's more of a hobby I guess.  In reading on dog breeds, you learn what behaviors to expect in some.  As for behavioral problems, you learn how to fix them from experience or hearing of other's experiences and what works for them.  I seem to have a photographic memory when it comes to certain things (wish it could have helped me in school  :P ).  Breeds/species and their behavior/training is one of them.

I don't know if I answered your questions very well.  I speak better in person than on paper.   :P