Author Topic: Joining the Dober ranks!  (Read 9135 times)

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Joining the Dober ranks!
« on: February 12, 2006, 12:48:20 pm »
We found our new fur kid yesterday at the pound!  She's a 3 yr old black and tan Dober girl named Holly (changed from Olive).  She's such a sweetheart!  She needs to learn a few tings like not stealing food but she loves the kids, tried to protect us from hubby when he came home last night, she's housebroken, and although she needs some reminding, she's got some basic training.  Of course she whines, kisses, and needs to be pet constantly.  They are obsessions at this point but we're hoping she'll calm down when she settles in.  We are at least her tird family too.  She was given up for having too much energy.  :(  I got a bit worked up when I heard that.  Of course she's got energy!  She's a doberman!  Stupid people tick me off!  Do your homework!  oops! sorry, getting a bit worked up.  :-[

She's a complete diva that announces her arrival everytime when she steps out the back door.  lol  We're taking her shopping this morning so she can have everything she needs (and most of her wants) in her new home.

We're so happy about her!!  The teddy bear that lost is life to her isn't thrilled though.  lol  We look forward to getting to know all of the other doberkids and owners around here better.  I have a Q.  What food do you feed your doberbrat and how much?  Thank you for reading!

Kelly & Holly
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead

Dobe SDs

Re: Joining the Dober ranks!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 12:57:53 pm »
Welcome Holly!  I'm glad you found a forever home... now where's the pictures??  Must have pictures!!

Offline 2dobies

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 03:05:41 pm »
Hi.  I feed mine a lamb & rice kibble, and mix in a variety of other foods like veggies, boiled beef liver, etc.  My Sasha (2 yr old) has a very sensitive stomach and cannot eat anything raw--it comes right back up.  Darmok (3 yrs old) can eat ANYTHING! Sometimes you got to experiment a little to find out what they eat best and what's best for them.  Welcome aboard, too!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 03:06:30 pm by 2dobies »
DOGS LAUGH, BUT THEY LAUGH WITH THEIR TAILS.

MommyOfSchnauzers

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 03:53:23 pm »
Welcome to BPO!

Offline billybooker

• Gnawer
  • Cocoa by the fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 11:41:05 pm »
Welcome,

To answer your feeding question, you can do some research on good quality foods on the market. A few off the top of my head are California Natural- great for food sensitivities, Wellness, Eagle Pac, and Innova. If you can afford it, its best to try and go with holistic or more natural diet that contains little or no preservatives, and human grade meats. A great resource is the Whole Dog Journal-they evaluate many of the dog foods on the market. Of course there's nothing better than home cooking. (Making sure you cook food in the proper proportions~25% carbs, 25% veges, 50% meats) This does however, take extra time usually costs a bit more, and requires supplementatio n. In addition to food, you can give vegetables and fruits as treats. (Avoid onions, grapes and chocolate)

As for the amount, it all depends on the caloric content of the kibble you feed-some have a high fat content. My female dobe gets 2 cups of kibble per day with some extra veges etc. This keeps her at a good weight. However, it's different with every dog and may change as the dog ages. A good and easy way to judge is just to look at you dog. You should be able to feel the ribs, but not see them sticking out. If your dog is too thin feed a bit more, if she's too heavy, cut back on food, especially dog treats..ie. milkbone types, which are high fat. If you exercise your dog hard daily, then you probably have to increase her food as she will burn it off quickly.
Good Luck with your new baby!  :) 
Jennifer W

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 08:39:09 pm »
Thanks for the help everyone.  As for pics,it's not going to happen anytime soon.  Everytime I pull out the camera she acts like I'm running at her with a rolled up paper.   ???  I'll try again later outside where there's more light and hopefully she won't noice.   ;)

Kelly
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead

Offline 2dobies

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2006, 09:54:35 pm »
Thanks for the help everyone.  As for pics,it's not going to happen anytime soon.  Everytime I pull out the camera she acts like I'm running at her with a rolled up paper.   ???  I'll try again later outside where there's more light and hopefully she won't noice.   ;)

Kelly

I take so many pics of Darmok, that when she sees me coming at her with the camera, she doesnt run away, but she closes her eyes!  She thinks that if she cant see me, I cant see HER!   ;D

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2006, 10:59:32 pm »
Your doberkids are so shiny in their pics!  How do you get them to look like that?  My pound puppy needs work on hers and has flaky skin we need to get rid of.  I'll have to recheck to see when she can have a bath (spayed on the 11th).  Hopefully the oatmeal shampoo I got her will help.

Offline billybooker

• Gnawer
  • Cocoa by the fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2006, 09:22:26 pm »
Probably one of the best ways to keep a dog's coat shiny, aside from baths once in a while is feeding flax seed or fish oil everyday. (And don't give baths too often so that the natural oils in the skin can come out) I would say unless your treating her for a skin or parasite condition not to give her a bath more than once a month. We usually give Cocoa a bath once every couple of months, unless her coat starts to smell bad, then more often.  :)

Jennifer W

Offline 2dobies

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2006, 08:25:46 am »
Your doberkids are so shiny in their pics!  How do you get them to look like that?  My pound puppy needs work on hers and has flaky skin we need to get rid of.  I'll have to recheck to see when she can have a bath (spayed on the 11th).  Hopefully the oatmeal shampoo I got her will help.

My dobes get a fish-oil & vitamin E suppliment on their food 2 to 3 times per week.  I dont give it to them every day, because it tends to give them loose stools if they have oils etc too often. I only bathe them if they are muddy or smelly, but every day I brush them with a rubber horse curry comb.  It sitmulates their natural body oils and gets rid of loose hair so shedding is at a minimum.  I swear, you could build another dog out of the hair that comes off these two after they have a living room wrestling match! You wouldnt think short-haired dogs would shed so much....WRONG!

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2006, 10:55:20 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  I'll have to find some for her.  Hopefuly it will help with the dry flakey skin too.  I finally got a pic of my DoberDiva on here.  Isn't she adorable!  I  just love her to pieces.  More so now that we've got another outlet for her high energy.  lol  Now I'll be looking for her boyfriend (without benifits, she's spayed) so she won't be so lonely and will have someone to play with.

Kelly & Holly (aka DoberDiva)

Offline Magnus

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2006, 09:51:31 am »
Welcome and congrats on the new adition. Cant wait to see more pics.  I know how hard it is I have many pics of Stanlee of his tail, paw, head, nose, eye, etc. Seems to always know just when to move. LOL

Again welcome to BPO
StanLee- American Mastiff
Julie- Rottie
Steve- Pug/Jack Russel
Neeko- My old rottie friend waiting at the bridge