Author Topic: getting fixed  (Read 7249 times)

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
getting fixed
« on: May 21, 2005, 08:33:50 am »
Does anyone know if getting your dog fixed makes them larger or smaller?My husband heared from somewhere it makes a difference.

nickerbokker

Re: getting fixed
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2005, 08:51:00 am »
ive never heard of the smaller or larger thing.....BUT IM GONNA GANK YOUR DOG!

were gettting fixed here too...and mom cant wait LOL....i know i know, i feel bad....but its necessary!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2005, 09:16:07 am »
I've heard that males can put on more weight (fat!) after neutering.  We neutered and spayed our first two Newfs at about 8 months and it didn't seem to make any difference.  Chester's breeder has asked that we wait until he's at least 24 months before he goes in so he will be completely developed: all the secondary sexual developments will be in place....muscu lature, stature, etc.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2005, 10:19:18 pm »
Most neutered males we've seen have gotten fat and require much more exercise to remain at their current weight and some we've seen have had coat changes too. We are having Bear neutered this summer and will be on the lookout for those changes but are looking forward to the good changes like improved attention and hearing!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005, 03:17:19 am »
HHHMMM, My aunt has bred Borzois for 35+ years and she says the get larger, fatter, I have spayed the only female we had that I was not going to ever use for breeding and she also became bigger, fatter.  ( my son's lab)  I guess I am inclined to think they get larger in mass not in "size"
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005, 01:11:33 am »
"k9k" First I have to ask you about your spelling of mamma and pappa??? That is the swedish spelling of mom and dad, so of course when I saw it I wondered if you have some nordic bloodlines in you lol....

Our Buffy (Golden mix) is spayed and she is fat and thats no joke, she has turned soooo wide, I will have to put her on a diet. I dont think it is only because of that, she was injured when she was young, hit by car, and had to be on steroids for a long time, carried with towel and so on, and even though the vet has promised us that she is in absolutely no pain, and she is running after the squirrals with wagging tail, I think since she is moving a little more clumbsy, she does not run quite as much as she would had she not had her injury, so it is probably a combination, but she has absolutely grown way way too wide. She also loves her food, so not at all looking forward to having to cut back and put her on diet food. Zeus is neutered and is now a good weight, we had problem to keep his weight up before, now he is a nice size. I also think he was very stressed out before, he is a rescue and was quite a worried dog when we got him. But I have heard a lot of people saying that they tend to put on more or less weight after altering.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog