Author Topic: Greta, Greta, Greta...  (Read 7033 times)

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
Greta, Greta, Greta...
« on: May 21, 2005, 08:42:23 am »
If you are a photographer, and you take many photos of your puppy, over time he/she will come to enjoy it.  This increases the bond between you and it can also be a rewarding time for your dog, filled with praise and treats, followed by play.

;)
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
Re: Greta, Greta, Greta...
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2005, 08:51:11 am »
Greta at Lake Wenatchee - about six or more years ago...she was still just a pup.
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2005, 08:52:09 am »
Greta's b & w barracks photo.

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2005, 08:53:01 am »
Greta hiking in the mountains near Lake Wenatchee.

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2005, 08:54:13 am »
Greta lying near a stream on the shores of Lake Crescent, WA.

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2005, 08:55:41 am »
Greta's gallery photo, featured in a month-long exhibit in Seattle, WA in 2001.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2005, 09:02:15 am »
Wow!  You are an excellent photographer.  I need scenery like that.  Maybe I could take the girl to the beach on Lake Michigan this summer.  That would be a nice background for them.

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2005, 05:58:25 pm »
Wow!  You are an excellent photographer.  I need scenery like that.  Maybe I could take the girl to the beach on Lake Michigan this summer.  That would be a nice background for them.

It has been so much fun over the years.  I have hundreds of color slides with every kind of scenery you can imagine.  I think it also teaches obedience and patience to have them sit for photos.  It really does take two people, though...to really get good photos.  Often there would be another person behind a rock, especially if we took the collar off.  They also helped check for eye buggers, etc. and can also help with posing.  It is a lot of fun and so are the videos. 

Have you made videos yet?  My Greta loves to watch videos where her and Lou are playing on the shores of a lake or in the waves.  I am so glad to have collected them over the years.

Thank you very much for the compliment.  I took a lot of photos for a few years, but it was really expensive.  Now, I am using my bf's video camera to take digital snapshots.  Some day I will have a "good" digital camera and make the transition.   :)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2005, 07:18:19 pm »
Beautiful pictures of Greta. You seemed to have caught the essence of her spirit in the photos. Absolutely spectular!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2005, 10:55:20 pm »
The pictures are wonderful, and Greta is such a pretty dog. Where does the name come from, it sounds like a german name. I always have great difficulties when trying to take pics of the dogs, especially using the dig. camera. It takes a moment for it to take the pic, and by the time it does, well I have a tail or half a dog or sometimes nothing but grass on the pic.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2005, 09:04:24 am »
Great pictures!   Is photography a career or just a hobby?
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2005, 07:18:34 pm »
Great pictures!   Is photography a career or just a hobby?

It is a hobby, but I was doing well about four years ago when I was in Seattle.  I took classes and began printing my own b & w photos and created a series of dog photographs that were in an art gallery for a month.

Since then, it's just fun.

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2005, 06:34:15 pm »
I'd say, for me, don't worry about being ready.  What is ready?  I am never ready...not when I wake up, not when I am on my way, and definitely not when I get there.  That's how life goes I am finding out gradually.  I took about three photography classes.  They were the non-credit type of courses taught by a gallery owner who later became a good mentor.  I ended up renting her darkroom, etc.  It all seems overwhelming at first, but I will share with you that I feel rather dumb now, years later, as I sometimes wonder how I took many of the photos.  I have to remember that I had a lot of resources then and was able to take literally hundreds, if not thousands, of photographs.  So, setting the aperture and shutter speeds to bracket around what the "very good" built-in light meter on the F100 read, I ended up with 3-4 exposures of any acceptable composition, which, in the end I would have at least one good exposure.  Weigh in the fact that I took so many photos and had them professionally developed by one of the best labs in Seattle and, as long as my composition was well thought out, how could I go too wrong?  Then, gradually, I seemed to lose my "knack", or as Napoleon Dynamite would put it "skills".  For quite a while it seemed all I could muster was a bunch of family album stuff.  But, then again we must take into consideration where it is being developed, because K-Mart and Costco just do not cut it.  That's what I will say...as you progress you will become extremely picky about the development process and will notice if the prints are even slightly tinted.

I'd love to see more of your photos.  I will take some this weekend of the monsters camping and share them when I get back.   :)  Yay!  I'm so excited to see how Betti likes her first camping trip...or if she keeps us up all night.

Offline lil_princess724

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2005, 12:09:12 pm »
aw how adorable. I just got a digital camera as a early birthday present and i have been snapping pictures of bailey and really nothing else. I have always wanted to be photographer. the best thing the digital camera is i can always erase what does not work and not waste so much money on film. Greta is a beauty. How much does she weigh? Bialey is at 71 lbs and i worry but the vet says she is perfect, any adivce? Thanks:)
Cassandra
        Bailey's mom

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2005, 12:16:36 pm »
GREAT shots.  These photos are amazing.  We could do our own gallery with the photos I have seen.
Peggy