Author Topic: Greta, Greta, Greta...  (Read 7032 times)

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
Re: Greta, Greta, Greta...
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2005, 06:13:12 pm »
r=lil_princess724 link=topic=779.msg9613#msg9613 date=1118081352]
aw how adorable. I just got a digital camera as a early birthday present and i have been snapping pictures of bailey and really nothing else. I have always wanted to be photographer. the best thing the digital camera is i can always erase what does not work and not waste so much money on film. Greta is a beauty. How much does she weigh? Bialey is at 71 lbs and i worry but the vet says she is perfect, any adivce? Thanks:)

I would not worry about Bailey.  Little Betti probably weighs less than that.  When I first brought her home she was malnourished and was around 60 pounds.  I think she is about ten pounds more than that now.  But, she is a little girl...with a lot of muscle and a lot of energy.  Many vets have told me that "most" rottweilers are overweight.  Many people try to bulk them up to make them look bigger.  A healthy dog's ribs can still be felt right under the hide, but not showing.  When dogs are getting a little overweight, which can be a difference of just a few pounds - from my experience, then there is a layer of squishy substance between their hide and ribs...a little fat.

Greta weighs around 86 pounds when she is at her best weight.  She has weighed up to 93 before, but when she gets that weight all of her vets have told me it is time for her to lose a few pounds.  This added weight puts a lot of stress on their joints.  Since Greta has hip problems I want her to be as healthy as possible.  I suffice to say that one of the reasons she is still alive is probably due to the fact that I have managed her weight as the vet told me, always taking her for regular checkups.

Greta is still, according to breeders...and/or the AKC, considered an "oversized" rottweiler.  Many people, in passing, refer to her as "Big guy!"  She is tall and not bulky and short like Betti.  This is actually considered a "fault"...that Greta is tall, but she still thinks she's beautiful.

;D
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline RottiMommyAL

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2005, 07:21:34 pm »
Beautiful dog!
Coming from someone who's Rottweiler never turn out to be AKC standard, WHO CARES!  So I won't ever be able to show them.  No great loss for me, anyway.
My Rotties always seem to grow bigger then usual.  Not sure why.  I don't over feed them.  My current male is the largest I've ever owned though.  This guy is pretty big.  More of him to love I guess :-*.
Change your pets life.  Feed RAW!

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2005, 08:36:37 pm »
Beautiful dog!
Coming from someone who's Rottweiler never turn out to be AKC standard, WHO CARES!  So I won't ever be able to show them.  No great loss for me, anyway.
My Rotties always seem to grow bigger then usual.  Not sure why.  I don't over feed them.  My current male is the largest I've ever owned though.  This guy is pretty big.  More of him to love I guess :-*.

Some of the rotties that do show look a little strange, though.  My sister refers to some she's seen as pop-eyed dogs, or something like that.  Yes, we love them the way they are.  I will say that it isn't always healthy for the breed for backyard breeders to try to create oversized dogs deliberately.  I think it can be hard on their joints, etc.  I may be wrong.
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner