Author Topic: Leash training???  (Read 3166 times)

Luvmydanes

Leash training???
« on: May 21, 2005, 02:34:27 pm »
We have started training our 10 wk old great dane to walk on a leash. So far, she is winning. :) She absolutey hates it. She resists and pulls back and jumps backwards to keep from walking with us. Is there something we are doing wrong? I dont remember having this problem with Dane, but I think we started him later on the leash. Should we wait, or is there some kind of trick?

Kandi

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Leash training???
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2005, 03:01:46 pm »
Usually if you act real goofy and run backwards away from the pup their natural tendency is to chase you, most of the time, have you tried it?  You could also try just having the pup drag the leash around in the house so he/she gets used to it.

Offline connolly

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005, 09:28:39 am »
"Dog Training for Dummies" too funny. I have to go find a copy because at this point my dogs have trained me. My life seems to revolve around their schedule. 5:30am the sun comes up and they have to go out and play and I'm staggering around making coffee weather I wanted to get up or not. 7am they come in and nap till 10am. Then it's go out and play time again.. And at 4:00pm it's dinner time no matter what I'm doing. I swear Sassy has a watch because at 4 she wants to eat, I thought when we switched to day light savings time it would throw her off but no she didn't miss a beat.
The older I get the less I know

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 09:33:58 am »
Try "The Art of Raising a Puppy" by the Monks of New Skete.  They address the problem of starting training with the lead.  I've been using their book like a Bible since we got Chester and so far so good.  He's 13 weeks and is doing great on all his training .....fingers crossed here!  We are doing lead training as well and he's not fighting it as much as he did when we first started. He went for the first couple of weeks with a "kitten lead"  (the smallest and lightest one) dragging it around the house and only rarely would I pick it up and use it to guide him.  Now we can actually take a walk on lead.  He's still pulling a bit but by just stopping cold and not moving, he's figuring out if he wants to go, he has to have a loose lead. 

Good luck to both of us!!!!

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 01:29:29 am »
I think someone else had the same problem some time ago. One thing you could try, is to be two, one if holding the leash and the other goes ahead a little bit, and then act like a fool lol..... I always end up with family telling me "please stop" but it usually works. sit down and pat on the ground and make high pitch funny "yejh ohhhh coooome here puuuupppyyy, ooohhhhh suuuuch a gooood puuuuupyyy ouuiiii" when puppy is coming the one brave person who is helping you just walks with, and then you back a little and do it over again, with a little luck, Jasmine (do I remember correct) will forget that she even has a leash and just get carried away and walk or rather jog towards you. Another thing that is good, is to use the older dog as an example, take both of them out and when Dane walks, Jasmine will probably follow, that way she sees her big brother walk on a leash and that may help. But do not wait, the sooner you start the better, most dogs act like that, but will get used to it real quick. Good Luck and please let us know how it goes.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog