Author Topic: Cane Corso's have big paws too.  (Read 71531 times)

henrysmomma

Re: Cane Corso's have big paws too.
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2005, 08:03:50 am »
Thanks bogardgirl! I will definately keep you guys updated! What made you finally decide on a leo? Just curious.. ;D (very adorable by the way.... )

Rose

Offline bogardgirl

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2005, 08:24:05 am »
Thanks bogardgirl! I will definately keep you guys updated! What made you finally decide on a leo? Just curious.. ;D (very adorable by the way.... )

Rose

ooh, good question!   :D  I was really into the Mastiff breed, Old English Mastiffs to begin with.  I did tons and tons of research, read every book possible, and one day it just hit me that an OEM did not really match my lifestyle.  I love backpacking, hiking, camping, really vigorous outdoor activities.  And I was at the San Francisco Golden Gate Kennel Club dog show 3 years ago, and saw a 250+lb OEM and (loved him LOVED him) but realized that this guy would just die if I tried to give him a pack and go hiking with him.  It wouldn’t be fair to the dog to leave at home, and not fair to take on the trip..(you know).

So I started looking for other giants that may be more active, which is when I learned about the Tibetan.  And about died that I'd found this breed.  The harsh reality was that it was REALLY hard to find a US breeder (I was living in CA at that time) and like you, I really wanted to visit the pups, knowing a Tibetan was a rare breed, and meet the parents, breeder, etc.   When I began researching further, I realized that Tibetans need a big place to romp, shouldn't be let off leash, ever, (they like to run and don't like to come when called?) and tend to be highly territorial, and like to do the dreaded (BARK)  ;D  To be honest, they seemed like more of a dominant breed than what I would trust myself with (I’m a first time dog owner). 

I would actually still consider a Tibetan as my second dog, once I move into a house with a yard, and some experience behind me!  I still think they are amazing and I love, love love to hear about them….because you never do!!!  Which is why I was SO excited to see your posting and wanted to know how it was going!! 

Which leads me to the Leo, who is a very passive dog, low dominance, not a great gaurdian, (people are usually intimidated only by their size), and they called it the "Alpine Mastiff" in these books I read.  So I went with an "easier" breed for my first guy....that's the real reason!!

What got you into Tibetans??? And Corso's are amazing as well, I met a Presa Canario in San Fran walking late one night and was almost floored by the sheer size and posture of this amazing animal....it took my breath away.  I was SO excited when the guy told me I could pet it....the dog was seriously, possibly the most amazing dog I've ever been nose to nose with in my life!   

henrysmomma

« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2005, 09:50:21 pm »
I have a question, maybe someone can help. I would like to subscribe to the Cane Corso Chronicle but i can't seem to find it anywhere. Does anyone know how I can do this?

Thanks

Rose

henrysmomma

« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2005, 12:25:15 am »
this is lame..bumping my own post... :-\  *bump*

Rose

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2005, 10:58:54 am »
Have you tried looking at the ICCF website.  Or you can ask on their message board.  http://members.boardhost.com/iccf/

Also this might be a could place to ask..  http://members.boardhost.com/Charging/index.html?1109787766  lots of very dedicated corso owners.
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline mastifflvr

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2005, 01:36:41 pm »
Adding a Cane Corso section- I will second that!  My name is Chanda and I live in Atlanta.  I just joined today after finding this site at the pet section of CL.  I have enjoyed the pics and posts. Thank you!
Pictured are my two babies.  Bruno and Maggie (an OEM).  Bruno (Brunosauras) is 4 years old and we have had him since 6 months.  We have been through a lot in the last 4 years but life seems to be looking up lately.  I will post more pics in the next day or so.

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2005, 04:21:06 pm »
Hi and welcome!!  You dogs are very cute!! You should post some more pictures of them.  My name is Rachel and I have a 2 year old mastiff mix named Sophie
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2005, 02:01:14 am »
Hello and welcome.  Anyone with a mastiff type breed is my kind of person.   ;D

My name is Chris, and I have a husky/shep mix named Keiko, and a great dane named Gunther.  I love cane corsos, and they are on my breed list for future ownership.

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2005, 09:09:14 am »
ooooh Rose - you're looking into Tibetan Mastiff's????  That was a breed a I went NUTS over when I was looking for a mastiff!!  (I ended up choosing a Leo after years and years of research...and I'm thrilled....bu t keep us all updated on your Tibetan search - such a regal and amazing breed!!!) 

I waited 20 years for my first TM and he's so much fun! He's also my first really big paws. Everything they say about them is true, though. They are a challenge and are highly dominat - you do have to be experienced with dogs and strong willed to cope with one. I'm used to shar-pei and the temperament is very similar - the TM's being a bit more placid, but that much larger. They definitely have that inscrutable, dignified oriental temperament! I must admit that I don't have a large yard, but my lad is walked 3 times a day (about an hour in total) and he will not even cock his leg in the yard - they're very clean. He also gets to run in my friend's large yard a couple of times a week (he usually just mooches and says hello to the 'ladies' - he's very taken with her GSD). The rest of the time, though, he's on a flexilead as he's just too curious and independent to be running loose. He's quite well behaved in the house, though he does like to bark to get my attention and it makes your ears ring in a confined space! The Tibetans say a TM should have a bark like a well made copper gong and they certainly do!

Coincidentally, I really have a thing for the Cane Corso too. I looked at them in detail, but must admit that the cropping and docking makes the breed look for me and cropping ears is simply illegal in England. Tail docking is also in the process of being banned. Plus, I have been madly in love with the TM's since I first saw them.

Here's a photo of Flynn taken today - he's a year old on New Years Day.

Offline Maggie's Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maggie, Simon and Oscar
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2005, 05:56:29 pm »
Hi and welcome to BPO.  I have a little Maggie (she's a Great Dane, so for now little), so I thought I'd say hi.  I'm a little partial to the name.  Your dogs are beautiful!
Stacy, Wes, and Maggie (Great Dane)

Offline mastifflvr

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2005, 08:07:24 pm »
I want to thank everyone for the warm welcome!  This is the coolest thing.  I stumble across this site at Craig's List and I find myself spending more and more time here (I suppose that could be defined as addiction).  I look forward to spening more time with all of you.

Chanda

Offline mastifflvr

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2005, 11:04:46 pm »
Everyone has such adorable babies.  I am all giggly over their sweet faces

Offline MommaBear

• Paw-meister
  • baby bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2006, 09:52:40 am »
Loved seeing the pics of your CC. I have a newf(father)-CC (mother) mix,,, 8mos old, 73lb. She does not look much like CC as you can see.