Author Topic: an idea....  (Read 10075 times)

nickerbokker

an idea....
« on: May 22, 2005, 11:59:49 pm »
i have an idea.....now, this might not be the best one ever, and we might drop it by tomorrow night.....but i was thinking with all of the BEAUTIFUL dogs on here, we could make ONE HELLOFA CALENDAR!  

we could vote....all the dogs born in jan fight for the jan spot, all in feb for the feb spot.....and then whoever wins gets to be in it!  then, we could sell them....and the proceeds could go to rescues and stuff?  

i dunno....maybe its a crappy idea....but i am running on 3 hours of sleep a night right now and i think its a good one LOL.....

im off to bed.  if the idea sucks...dont tell me, let me stay in my own little world lol..

i just thought between all the BEAUTIFUL dogs on here we could come up with something like no one else has!  

just an iead.

night!!!!

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
Re: an idea....
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 12:11:30 am »
nighty night nicker.... I think you should never sleep more than 3 hours ever again lol.... I think that is a wonderful idea, a really reall great idea, we get to have fun voting for the dogs, get to buy a real nice calendar with dogs we know, rather than the ones I always buy anyway with dogs I dont know, and the proceeds to some rescue. WHAT A GREAT IDEA, I am in, I will buy for myself and a few for gifts for sure. Michael....... ....  ::) since you dont have anything to do, do you have any ideas about how we maybe could make this a reality.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

nickerbokker

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 05:13:54 am »
LOL, i got 4 dog calendars for christmas!  and i dont like one of them.  jin every calendar, i only like one or two dogs, and the rest are not attractive looking....so i use a different no name calendar  ;)

i just thought it would be fun to have all the beautiful dogs on my wall and have one i actually like!

Rufiesmom

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 06:37:23 am »
What an excellent idea!!  I am not nuts about my dog calendars either but if we had one with the dogs from this site it would be like looking at our new doggy friends we've made since this site started.  I would not only buy one I would keep it for more than a year!

Offline NatsaintB

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 06:59:09 am »
Oh!!!!  The ideas are running through my head already!  I'm so excited!  Everyone I know would buy one.  We get free calenders every year from Hubby's work and I hate them.  Nothing like a freight train on every page...  Now doggies are much cuter and people will want to go and get their own!  I bet everyone will rush out to the shelters and get themselves one until the shelters would be empty!  And maybe cancer would be cured too!  Okay, I'm getting a head of myself here.. I think it's a great idea ;D

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005, 07:00:32 am »
There is a website called www.cafepress. com that offers all kinds of products for sale. It's easy to use to set up the items - things like t-shirts, mugs, caps, and YES - calendars! There is no minimum item charge and, once the calendar is set up, everyone can order it off there. That's just a suggestion so the owners of this site have no out-of-pocket expenses.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2005, 08:48:38 am »
Nicki...I can never get bored with you around. hehehehe I think it is a great idea and once again you guys on this site are one step ahead of us. We are planning to have a store up sometime in the future and would have a calendar, t-shirts, doggy stuff available for purchase directly from Big Paws Only but aren't ready yet. So..lets brainstorm and figure out who will head this project and how we'll vote, etc. Also, who is cheapest to get calendars made through??
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2005, 10:27:36 am »
I am now totally convinced that we should never let nicker sleep more than 3 hours a night, if this is that kind of ideas she'll come up with after a sleepless night  ;D I am darn good at using and spending time infront a comp. but have no idea how or if this wold work. But we have a voting thing at the bottong to the right here, where we can vote for this site (which I hope everyone has lol...), would it be possible to set up something similar, so once we have the candidates if we click on the one we choose, that one will recieve a vote, just like this site does if you click one the "vote" at the right. Would that be possible to set up, or is it very complicated to fix something like that??

By the way, this site is on third place, I definately think it should be on first. my  twolegged kids ask me "how CAN you spend so much time on there, are you not getting bored" HA...... guess they want to be fed.... lol...

Marit

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2005, 10:43:56 am »
Marit-
Setting up the voting thing is easy but the criteria for the rest is what I was curoius about. WHat kind of pics are we going to submit? How many entries per doggy? What company is going to make the calendars? What should the price be??
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2005, 11:08:21 am »
 ;D Guess I thought of the voting thing becuase that was the simple thing lol.... But the idea of having dogs that are born that month competing over the spot is a good one. And since here are dogs that have no known b-day, all the rescues and so on, maybe have them enter for the day when their mom and dad got them home or whatever day they have that is that special dogs "day" and maybe to follow the seasons, the dogs who enter for say jan and dec, it would be fun to see them in either a wintery scenery, or if we live where there is no winter lol.... maybe in a chirstamsy setting, or just an indoor snuggly kinda warm feel to it. the summer ones out in the sunny (or rainy) weather, sniffing flowers or just being cute as they are all so good at. And hmmm I realize that there probably has to be some kind of limit for how many entries per dog, since we have so many dogs here, would two entries per dog be too little???? The company I have no idea, I will browse around a little though, I know of a company called "vista print" where I get cards and return lables, mind you I have no idea if they make calendars. The price well hopefully where every we turn they will be able to work with us, and give a good price since it is not only one or two calendars, and the proceeds are going to some kind of rescue or help org. I am sure we could get them to cooperate with us, and whatever the price "out" for them, well I have seen other calendars, you know the type where you can send in your pics of your children and make a calendar, they are rather expensive, the last dog calendar I bought was I think around $13, and that of course was one of the mass produced ones. I think most people here would be willing to pay just to support a good cause and to see our new friends on a calendar, so whatever a company would charge, hopefully be able to get about 75% proceed. I guess we have another question too, how to decide where the proceed would go. Would that be a voting too??

Okay hehe now I am getting ahead of myself, but I have seen so much on the local channels on tv, about people who come up with ideas how to raise money for different things. So now I can picturing on tv and in newspapers "Big Paws Only, a web forum for large dogs, raising money for......" This site would get a ton of new members, and whatever we decide to donate the money to would also get plenty of attention, and if it comes to that, I am dead certain that we would sell calendars to a whole lot more people than just us here, after all we have all seen the dog calendars that are out there, and hey..... ours would be just soooo much cuter. Ohhh and since I already havnt gone on forever  ::) I have an idea for the cover..... that wonderful picture of daddy and puppy from kildeskennel.

Marit

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2005, 11:13:16 am »
Great idea!!!!Maybe the pics could be of the monthly dogs you have atop the web site for that year Just an idea.

Offline bigpawsadmin

• Michael~
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Dog Chomper
  • This is Bear
    • View Profile
    • Website - www.michaelandjaime.com
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2005, 12:00:26 pm »
You guys are cool I must say!
I've actually got a Print House here that would give us a deep discount if all of the funds go to a nonprofit i.e. a rescue. So thats definately covered. The voting would also be pretty simple. I've got a Calendar template I made in 2003 and 2004 I could easily use. We would just need lots of pictures!!! I will setup a mechanism to handle large file uploads as we're going to need your hightest resolution pictures - something necessary for a good looking print. The resolutions should be close to 300 dpi - more than triple what we use for the website images.

My question would be what dates do you want the calendar to cover? June to May 2005/2006? Just 2006? Or June thru the end of 2006? I like that idea as we can get even more pictures in there!

Michael~
Just trying to keep the bugs off the board!

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2005, 12:06:26 pm »
I like the idea with june or maybe july (depending on how fast we can act) and then throughout all 2006. You are a lifesaver Michael lol.... Jamie will just have to hang on to Bear and you for dear life, we may just snatch you away one day  ;D ;)

Marit

Offline Bear

• Paw-meister
  • The Bear Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2005, 12:22:06 pm »
Michael....... ....  ::) since you dont have anything to do, do you have any ideas about how we maybe could make this a reality.

Marit

Marit I've always got time for our big dogs!!!  ;)

Michael~

Offline Bear

• Paw-meister
  • The Bear Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2005, 12:23:33 pm »
Jamie will just have to hang on to Bear and you for dear life, we may just snatch you away one day  ;D ;)

Marit

Do you see that Jaime??? You're going to have to work harder to keep me around!!!  :D :D

Jaime touched on the idea of having a big paws store.. Just to elaborate a little more we were thinking about getting some of that revenue to specific animal associations - non profits. Every item that gets purchased, the buyer would have to choose from a drop down list which animal association the donation would go to - perhaps even breed specific so that their purchase may directly benefit their breed. The difficult part would be building the system to track those monies - and I don't want to open a store until that system has been resolved. I would really like to see on the home page - or every page for that matter - something that says "Big Paw Members have contributed over $****.00 to Rescue Groups" with that figure being dynamic - a real-time representation of donations. Then perhaps when those checks go out, our doggies names and owners will accompany them some how. Perhaps our doggies might be thanked some day!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2005, 12:35:41 pm by Bear »