Author Topic: Supplemets  (Read 10927 times)

Offline TwoNewfies

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Supplemets
« on: May 23, 2005, 07:06:46 am »
I'm curious what you all think of supplemets,do you use them, and what feedback have you gotten from your vets? I have 2 Newfie puppies, one is 10 mos and one is 11 weeks. I have them on Solid Gold food.  I had been giving Bella, 10 months, their Sea Meal supplement and saw great results, however last week our vet really advised against using any type of supplements as most are high in calcium and  protein... Just wondered what feedback you might have.  :)
Gina

All dogs are pets.  Newfoundlands are family!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: Supplemets
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 09:04:00 am »
I have Bear on Solid Gold too. He loves it! We use Consiquin DS, Ester C, Omega 3 for joints & coat, garlic for fleas/tics, and Benadryl for allergies. Our routine has kept him healthy and shiny and even though the vet isn't crazy about using all the supplements, we swear by them just like our breeder does!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline pitas

• Paw-meister
  • Mom! Let us out, please!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 09:32:55 am »
Hello Everyone!

Yes, we also use Solid Gold food and cook up some ground turkey, beef, or chicken to add to the dry kibble.  They also get veggies and top it all off with vanilla yogurt.  We  have them on the Flaxseed Oil from Solid Gold as well because since our female Maddie was spayed her coat became too dry and flaky.  Now she has the great coat again and no more flakes of dry skin.  Our big guy Klondike has had a problem with allergies in the past but, now since we have been using the Solid Gold for several months his allergies have vanished.  They also love the Solid Gold Lamb Jerky treats and they are perfect to break up into small pieces for training purposes.   

Anita and the 3 Crazy Newfies from NJ

Rufiesmom

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 09:39:29 am »
We just switched to Solid Gold and they love it!  They get vitamin C and fish oil caps with breakfast and glucosime chron. with dinner.  Their vets approve.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 12:33:20 pm »
I feed a kibble called Eagle Pack natural add just a couple of table spoons of Natures recipe canned food, some veggies and fruit, vitamin C, oxidrops, flexicose, First choice 4 in 1 probiotics and Nzymes a dietary enzyme. I am also going to start giving garlic to help prevent fleas and ticks. My vet seems to think it is a well balanced diet, the only thing he said, was that he usually dont tell people to use a joint supplement until the dog get a little older, but there I trust my breeder and Linda Arnt, who is a k9 nutritionist and dane breeder, spec. in feeding large and giant breeds. My dogs seem to do well on it.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

waffles717

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005, 05:44:53 pm »
Hello i Had Maggie,on them since Day 1, she is a Saint! helps alot! her sheding is uder contol, her skin is Baby Soft! even Her Paw's!! Helps with there Breath too!! one of the thing's is Missing link, shed off shed Reath! sound like a lot but a dash of this and that she loves is!! ::) ;DTry it it is good for them ::) ;DSoft as a Kitten  :o ;DBut a Big Big Kitty!!! at that!!! ::)love may!andmaggie :-*

Offline luvmenewfs

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2005, 06:44:05 pm »
Usually the breeder will give ideas on food they want you to feed.

Our babies (only one then another later) until 9 months (growth spurts stopped and growing evened out)  we fed California Natural CHicken and Rice. 
It only has 21% protein.  It is popular opinion amongst Newfie folks that 21% to 23% protein is the best for growing Newfie pups.  Too high in protein can cause problems in joint growth.  We also started joint supplements (upon approval from breeder) at 13 weeks.  On and off on that one.  For a month, then off a couple of weeks. 

THere are so many studies now days it can make your head spin!!  LOL.

Luvmenewfs