Spinone Italianos > Spinone Italiano Discussions & Pictures

spinone?

(1/3) > >>

jaspers mom:
Hello everyone,

I have always had a dog and I don't think I can ever live without one.  My husband of 15 years is lukewarm about dogs.  We currently have an old Walker coonhound rescue (who is as sweet as can be) and we are considering getting a puppy for him.  My husband has decided that if we are going to get a second dog, he gets to pick the breed and he has decided on a spinone.  No, I don't know why.  My daughters and I don't care what kind of breed we get, but we do have a wish list of characteristic s.  We would like a dog who does not have a high energy level (once they reach the adult stage), does not have a high guarding instinct, is not at all aggresive, and is not an ankle-biter.  We also want to steer clear of dogs who are highly intelligent.  My mother recently acquired a black mouth cur and you can't turn your back on her for a second. (In other words, we are looking for big, slow, stupid and friendly).

The other preference is that we get a puppy as opposed to an adult dog.  My girls have been raised with elderly companions and now that they are 8 and 10, we feel the time is right to take on a puppy.

So, who has advice or opinions?

newflvr:
I have only seen a spinone at the dog park...and he was wonderful!  The lady that loved him didn't exactly use those words to describe him though.  Big, yes.  Dumb...no. Friendly...abs olutely!

From what I saw, he was fantastic, and I'd love one...but my husband has drawn the line at two Newfs!! :D

Anky:
To be honest a Spinone doesn't sound like the dog for you.  Bird dogs are VERY intelligent as a rule.  After suffering, I mean living with one for the past four years, trust me, I know what you mean about the back turning thing.  I dont' know about the energy level thing however.

BabsT:
The woman near my sister owns a Spinone pup and I have to say...a very nice calm pup...wasnt as traditional in temp as other hunting breeds would...they almost act like they look LOL

nice dog though

Senghe:
A pet shop owner near me used to breed and show Spinoni. Lovely dogs - very sweet natured and gentle, but they are definitely energetic and woe betide you if they don't get enough exercise or mental stimulation. The guy was always telling me tales of his latest pup's destruction abilities and pig headed ways. However, he reckoned once they hit about 3 years old and you got through their adolescense, they were great dogs. He had about 8 so they can't have been too bad to live with!

Maybe they aren't the ideal choice unless you can get an older one. Also there's the coat to bear in mind - that beard and big hairy feet can carry a lot of dirt into the house.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version