Author Topic: what do you all use to get rid of odor  (Read 8109 times)

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
what do you all use to get rid of odor
« on: May 23, 2005, 08:53:43 pm »
I have a very sensetive nose, I love my dogs to death, I dont mind having the vacuum glued to me or always having to brush off doggy hair off my clothes, or try and get rid of a dog slobber, but I CAN NOT stand bad smell. Since Galahad came, we have had a few accidents, even though I clean it up when it happens now I think it smells like dog pee in here, I ask everyone "can you smell it" and they say nope.... hubby can not nor the kids, but I can and I absolutely hate it, I have a steam cleaner that works well, but I have not found a real good cleaner to put in it. So my first question to you is, when you all steam clean your carpets what do you use to get rid of all the odors.

And yeeeeesss I am an idiot, the house we built is just about 1,5 years old, and when we decided flooring I said, I want carpet. I must have had some kind of head injury at the time. Husband isnt at all impressed because now I am fixing to tear it out and replace it with pergo, I cant stand it. I didnt want slippery floors for the dogs, but hey...... if their mommy goes total bonkers, they wont have a floor at all to walk on.

Second, as much as I hate odors of the not so pleasant kind, I love a nice smelling house. I have bought the Glade pulg-ins and have a bunch of them, but it is just not letting off any scent, well it does but we have a house with an open floorplan, and the first floor is about 2300 sq. feet, so it is almost like it is just not enough, no matter if they are totally new refills, I can not smell it (and like I said my nose is gooood) So I am looking for something that will cover our open areas on both first and second floor, well lol.... not one thing, but as of now I have about 10 and it is still  not enough. I have seen the Nilodor I think they are called, have anyone tried them and are they any good, or what are you using. I have tried all the carpet sprayes and frebreeze and they work, but I want something that is giving a constant scent, not just when you spray it. Anyone have any ideas, because tomorrow I am going to steamclean in here or I will have to use a clothes pin to close my nose. Hubby says it is not really smelling, but that I have it stuck in my head now and just think it is, but that doesnt matter, as long as it is in my nose I can smell it, no matter if it comes from my brain or the carpets lol....

Marit

what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

nickerbokker

Re: what do you all use to get rid of odor
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 09:12:30 pm »
i know this is terrible...but half the reason i got a puppy even though i had carpet was because i knew i was moving and it would be the landlords problem...i will have to pay for it, but at least i will be out of here and get to start fresh somewhere LOL

but let me tell you....since i got angus, it has not been a few accidents, its been a few a day...and i am about ready to kill him, i say this because i just cleaned up pee off my floor...HES 6 MONTHS OLD!  sometimes he seems to be good with potty training, and sometimes he SUCKS at it and i think just pees to piss me off....."MOM, YOU'VE BEEN ON BPO ALL DAY, SO IMMA PEE JUST TO TICK YOU OFF!"....

this apartment smells like one big bladder.  im not kidding, its ASBSOLUTELY REPULSIVE!  i considered renting a cleaner myself so i could try and get rid of the smell, but decided it is not worth the money since i will be paying for new carpet when i leave! 

IF YOU FIND SOMETHING THAT WORKS WELL THOUGH.....LET ME KNOW, BECAUSE IM SURE SINCE I AM OBLIGATED BY THAT MOM THING TO BRING MY DOGS WITH ME WHEREVER I GO, THE STENCH WILL FOLLOW!  GOD HELP ME

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 09:53:42 pm »
hehe Ill be sure to tell you when I find something good. And I know what you mean.... starting fresh, I AM going to tear out the carpet and put in pergo, hubby can tell me all day long how it was my idea with carpet, Ill just close my ears and let him nag for a few days, after the floor is in and the bill payed I know he will be as happy as I will, and if Galahad slips, I will have a whole lot of carpet to put down where he walks lol....

Marit

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 10:26:46 pm »
I call it a steam cleaner, but it does not heat the water so I guess it really is a carpet cleaner. But since it does not heat the water, I should be able to put natures miracle in it, right??? How much would you put in the water??

Marit

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 10:40:42 pm »
Thanks a lot, I will try it. I dont have any stains or spots I can tell, I am the only one that say it smells a bit of puppy in here, but I cant stand it, so I will be doing some cleaning tomorrow. Hmmmm maybe I should do the gallon size and go through the whole house, while I am at it. Well I guess we'll see how much I can manage to stay off, off BPO, please dont post anything interesting tomorrow, I really really need to do some carpet cleaning lol....

Marit

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2005, 11:01:19 am »
Pergo wood floors & cheap area rugs! I gave up on getting carpets clean. I just got a new area rug for the living room, its good to hangout on the floor & not smell anything. I'll see how long this one lasts, hopefully 2 years.
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2005, 11:10:28 am »
Yes, I used to have pergo, and I loved them, the only thing I didnt like was when my dogs kept sliding on them, I was always worried about their legs and should they turn out "hookie" but cleaning the carpet is no fun, and I have such a sensetive nose, so it is not even funny. My daughter suggested that I should try out for the police K9 unit (as a dog) lol....

Ohhh yeah..... I am cleaning by the way, cant you all tell lol...... I am supposed to have a biiiig spring cleaning today, so I am not really on here now, right now I am loading a washing machine with my bathroom mats, so if you think I am spending time on BPO now, nope.... not so lol.....

Marit

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2005, 11:31:19 am »
"Nature's Miracle"  is great  you can get it almost anywhere...  petsmart, petco, etc.   We also tried a specific for pets cleaner for the steam cleaner and it did not really work but I don't remember the name off hand.  Anyways..I saw definitly give Nature's miracle a try.  They make a couple of different products and everything has been good  even the the spray for your pets coat to neutralize odor and remove dander

Rachel.
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2005, 11:37:32 am »
Thanks all, hmmmm I wonder if I am looking at the right product, I checked in my petsmart catalog to see if it was in there, and they have one natures miracle spray and a gallon, but the gallon is like $15, so I wonder if it is the same thing you all are talking about.

Marit

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2005, 11:43:06 am »
Yeah thats probably it.   Its a white jug with red lettering.
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2005, 11:45:59 am »
yep.... thats it, I will go get some, and then go to work with the carpet cleaner. Hubby has pool tonight, so a good day to do some serious cleaning around here, once I get off the comp. that is lol...

Marit

Offline NatsaintB

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2005, 01:02:38 pm »
You're gonna have to start smuggling it up across the border :D 

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2005, 01:52:19 pm »
Nature's Miracle is the Bomb.  It even works on Cat piss, which is the WORST!!!  But if you have repeat accidents in the same area, especially on things like cushions, pillows or mattresses, a professional cleaner is the only way to go.  Our cat peed on our couch TWICE and the Pro's were able to get it out both times.  Pergo floor is great, we had it at our Townhouse when Drake was a pup and it was the best for house breaking.  We just kept him on that flooring and if there were any accidents, the cleanup was no problem.  We have a house now with Brazilian Cherry Wood floors, so our next pup may have to be on the laundry room linoleum floor or in the garage.  We paid way too much for those floors to be peed on and no amount of cleaning can fix a messed up wood floor.  Good luck with the cleaning and removing of smells.  The Glade oil plug ins work really well for odors, just get a lot of them!
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2005, 06:58:36 am »
Hhhhhhmmmmmmmm mmmmm....thoug h my big, white, stinky dog does all of the above that does not mean I don't want to keep a clean & sanitary house....Inter esting.

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2005, 07:13:53 am »
My kids drool ( :o ) fart, pee, chew ( ?? ) yell, scream, run around like fools at times and are generally about the same as my Big Dog and Ill tell you I love every minute of it but, I still clean up after them and am the first on board fo the new and improved cleaners. Ill keep all of them Thank You very much.
sicologo Do you have a dog or are you just pulling our chain?? Dont forget these big dog moms are at the end of that chain!!!
Karen
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket