Author Topic: You need a saddle for that thing! Who's walking who? and other such comments  (Read 3363 times)

Offline mixedupdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Does that bug you as much as it does me? How can people possibly think that's clever- or original? I don't mind talking about my big boys, they're mixes, and pretty unusual looking, so I don't mind "what kind of dog is that?" But those other fools with their "pony" comments really get me.
Last night after hearing the same line 8 times in our walk around the park, we came home and made a list of animals we could compare their dogs to, and see how they like it.  Next time someone with an overfed lap dog asks me "is that a horse?" I swear I'm going to say "No, is that a piglet?"

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
hehe funny  ;D I have had that comment lots of times, people turn to my youngest daughter and ask her " are you riding that thing" she is brought up knowing that we do NOT sit on the dogs, we do not pull on their tail or ears so it is a bit confusing for her when adults say things like that. But you are right though, how come it is okay to say silly things about our big guys, when I dont think any of us would say anything silly or degrading to the small dogs. I like the piglet idea hehe, and let me tell you, I have seen a bunch of them at petsmart lol...

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline NatsaintB

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Oh, boy, I am writing these down you guys!  I hear the "Do you ride him?" everyday, but I always make them feel like an idiot by telling them that is so stupid.  Or my kids pipe in and it borders on being disrespectful, but we do get so tired of the comments.   However, what hurts my feelings more is when people see him and get intimidated or scared and either make their kids walk another way or they yell at them not to touch Leo.  I guess it's because I know how he really is and I don't want his feelings to be hurt!  I'm getting used to it.  Someday, when I grow up, I want to have brass ovaries...

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
The comment I hear the most is that 'you sure have your hands full'.  My dogs are the ones walking nicely on either side of me, occasionally turning their heads to watch someone walk by.  Why don't they make comments to the person tight lining their dog everytime someone walks past. 
Kids love my guys, they will run up to them and start hugging and petting them right away.  I have had few parents yell at their kids to get away because my dogs are mean, which they aren't.  Most parents just tell their kids to ask me if they can pet them, which I believe is a great habit to get your kids started on.
I think kids can just tell who is a good dog and who is not, adults must lose that ability somewhere along the way.

Em
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
I used to be like you and get frustrated when people asked the same questions 5 millions times in a day right after someone had just asked that question. I used to get rude make smart comments as to what Bear was like "yah, he is the the biggest lab you've ever seen" or "he eats people who ask to many questions". I have however had a change of heart recently becasue of an enlightening experience wih our new Newf friends Drake and Yogi and their parents. They all ge the same questions we get, but the parents have learned to enjoy the spotlight and endure as many question lovingly and enthusiastical ly as they can. They are delighted to speak to be inquiring about the breed and always have a smile on their face which reflects the love they have for their dogs. SO...I thought about that experience on the way home from Monterey and decided that if our Newf introducer Randi hadn't been so kind and sweet to us and let us bug her tons then I wouldn't have my dream dog now. I guess for me it comes down to whether or not my enthusiasm for the breed can find show through so that others can see that inside I feel that my Bear is the most special and loving dog in the world!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
That was soooo well said Jamie, and that is what we should do, grab the oportunity and tell them about our wonderful breeds, I guess I have to work on my patience though lol..... I have plenty when it comes to my dogs, not so much when it comes to ignorant people. And here I want to say that to me being ignarant is when you really dont care, when you dont care if you are right or wrong, just assume things. I have  nothing at all against the questions or people wondering all kinds of things if they care enough to want to learn, and man.... lol.... I am one of them, I ask plenty of questions everywhere, at the park when I see a breed I know little or nothing about, at the vets... (hey... gratis education  ;)) or anyone on here. I think what bothers me are the kind of people that have that smirky look on their face, as if I am some kind of idiot having my dig dogs, and then it comes one of the wise crack comments from them, I think that is what makes me tick. But I will try and think about what you said and next time think to myself, if they are this wisecracking and acting this stupid way, they are in REALLY bad need of some positiv information.

Thanks, what you just said did make me stop and think

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
I have never really thought about it that way before Jabear. Thanks for the new out look on things. There have been days that we have decided it was best to leave the city to take the dogs for a walk just because we didn't have the energy to deal with the whole parade of questions. Right after they ask if we have a saddle, we are usually asked what kind of cross he is, a Saint Bernard what? It is the short hair that throws them off, when we tell them that he is a smooth coat we are often told that there is no such thing. Or my personal favorite, he can't be a Saint they aren't that big!!! Oh well, you can only teach those who want to learn!
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey