Author Topic: Show Dogs  (Read 13273 times)

Offline Bear

• Paw-meister
  • The Bear Cub
    • View Profile
Show Dogs
« on: May 25, 2005, 12:44:35 pm »

Does anyone here actively show their dogs for comformation? We at one time had plans on showing Bear but never had the time. The commitment is huge but we sure would have fun doing it! We still go to dog shows as much as we can, and always tell ourselves how easily Bear would take best in show! :)

Michael~

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
Re: Show Dogs
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 01:04:53 pm »
We dont show now, I meant to show Hera, but when she was little, we were in the middle of building and moving and well it just didnt happen. I am not quite sure yet if Galahad will be shown but I used to a lot with my danes. If you breed, it is a defineate + to not only have the blood lines, but to have it confirmed that she/he is up to standard. But I will probably breed Hera even though we never have shown her, I know what little faults she has and if we showed her she would probably finish but it would take some time. But she has the most wonderful disposition and very good blood lines. The not so fun part with showing, is that there is a lot of politics. Used to show Arabians too and it is the same there, I think that is what makes me maybe opt not to. But it is fun to go though, and yeeesss of course my dogs would always win too lol.....

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • we breed for quality, not quantity.TOP PEDIGREES,
    • View Profile
    • http:www.taijinrhodesianrhodesianridgebacks
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 05:04:13 am »
well  here s nandi at 12 weeks

you all have seen her now as a champion, both AKC and INT'L Ch.
  been showing my RR dogs for many years(see the ridgeback pics colum on big paws)

lots of work and training

also  lots of fun

winning is a great high!!
you know you have a great type of your breed
TAIJIN Rhodesian Ridgebacks

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 09:45:25 am »
We show all of our dogs and it is a lot of fun  To prevent it from becoming work I usually only go once a month and to show grounds that I particularly like.  I usually use a handler but do take them in myself sometimes and function as the back up to the handler.  The dogs LOVE to show and we have a couple of veterans that you will NOT go without so we drag them along too.

Offline 2dobies

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 09:53:38 am »
We used to show dogs a long time ago when we raised Shelties.  But both my dobies are spayed, and AKC regulations wont allow an altered dog in the conformation ring.
DOGS LAUGH, BUT THEY LAUGH WITH THEIR TAILS.

Offline 4-H Pride

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 05:42:44 pm »
If you have kids and they enjoy the dogs as much as you do contact your local 4-H chapter and see if there is a local dog club. They can show there if they are fixed or not because it is about the experience and not the puppy producers that the AKC is looking for.

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2005, 06:14:18 pm »
What a beautiful dog, may i ask who the dog is out of, my brother is looking for one...i told him he needs a rare molosser so i can talk to one of my breeder friends LOL
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline 4-H Pride

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 09:19:15 am »
We got her from Lane's End Kennels, They are located in North Central Ohio. You can vist their web site at www.lanes-end.com.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2005, 09:18:42 am »
 ;D I guess I can add Dixie's name to the list of show dogs now.  She had her very first show this past weekend.  I am so hooked for so many reasons.  One day I would love to breed Great Pyrenees.  At the show I saw some of the best and worst of people.  I can see this will be a place not only to learn what to do but a lot of what not to do.  I was told by a pal that there is a line of thinking that pets/family members do not make as good a show dog as kennel dogs.  That a full time show dog is so excited to be out and going his think that he shows better.  I don't just do not buy it.  I notice that some of the dogs had big smiles and so did not.  My goal will be for us to have a great time and learn about the breed standard.  If it stops being fun we stop.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline 2dobies

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2005, 10:17:12 am »
It will get way too involved before it stops being fun!
DOGS LAUGH, BUT THEY LAUGH WITH THEIR TAILS.

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2005, 10:48:58 am »
House dogs make wonderful show dogs - they learn to enjoy showing because of lots of praise and lots of attention at the shows.  And when they develop a bond with their handler they learn very rapidly that winning makes their handler very happy  Thats why you see the dogs leaping and dancing when they win group or best in show.  All my dogs that show are housedogs during their show career - they may go to the kennel later but not while they are showing.

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2005, 11:54:00 am »
Isn't Bear neutered?  Sorry if I'm wrong.  Our breeder was upset that we neutered Drake, but he was getting too agressive.  Does anybody know of a Dog Show circuit for Neutered and Spayed dogs?  I know that most dogs that win dog shows then go on to breeding and in some cases, like Josh the Newf, that isn't a good thing.  Wouldn't that be great if there is such a showing circuit?  It would seem like it would cut out some of the greed/breeding factor and allow every day family dogs a chance to strut their stuff.  That way, dogs who are absolutely beautiful specimins of their breed but might have some genetic problems, could still compete in a competition.  It might not be Westminster, but it could still be fun.  If anybody knows about such a thing, let me know, it might be worth looking into.
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2005, 12:02:26 pm »
I have so much to learn about showing that my head is spinning.  I do want to lean to handle Dixie myself.  After all who will love being in ring with her more than her mommy.  I know the pros know all of the tricks but for us this is about have a fun sport to do together. 

Lisa

House dogs make wonderful show dogs - they learn to enjoy showing because of lots of praise and lots of attention at the shows.  And when they develop a bond with their handler they learn very rapidly that winning makes their handler very happy  Thats why you see the dogs leaping and dancing when they win group or best in show.  All my dogs that show are housedogs during their show career - they may go to the kennel later but not while they are showing.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2005, 03:52:38 pm »
I regret not trying to show Gunther.  When I got him, I saw flaws on him (or what I thought were flaws) that turned out later to not necessarily be flaws.  I went to a dane show, and even though I didn't have him with to talk to people about, everyone I talked to said I should have given it a try anyhow.  Everyone that has ever seen him has always said what a good specimen his is, and many have said I should have shown him.

I agree, but hindsight is always 20/20.  I know he's not perfect, but I would have liked to try.  Next time, I think I will, no matter what the dog looks like.  Best features?  His head (I loooove his head) and temperment.

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2005, 04:38:15 pm »
I was told by a pal that there is a line of thinking that pets/family members do not make as good a show dog as kennel dogs.  That a full time show dog is so excited to be out and going his think that he shows better.  I don't just do not buy it.  I notice that some of the dogs had big smiles and so did not.

I don't believe it either as, especially here in England, 99% of show dogs ARE pets/family members first and foremost. Some dogs like showing, some don't. My friend who bred my shar-pei has had house dogs who would rather be anywhere than a showring and others that go mad with excitement the moment to show bag comes out - same with her kennel dogs.

Flynn's parents are both successful show dogs - his dad was BOB at Crufts this year. I've only been to one show with him as it's hard to get to them with no transport. Next year I hope to get him qualified for Crufts himself. But saying that, if we never get to another show, it won't matter to me as he was purchased purely as a companion.