Author Topic: Kids and puppies  (Read 7499 times)

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Kids and puppies
« on: March 07, 2006, 07:29:39 am »
Our Teddy is now about 8 weeks old and we have had him for about 2 weeks (he was let go early because he was orphaned).

We have 2 children, Eve (6) and Zane (almost 5).

I am finding that Teddy acts much differently around our son than us.  He seems to think that Zane is a ltter mate to be wrestled with at every opportunity.  This behaviour is not so apparent with Eve but poor Zane cannot walk through the room without having his feet bitten.  (He does not do this at all to my or my Hubby) Teddy will listen to me and usually stop when I yell "Teddy. NO!"  Zane sometimes does want to play with Teddy (of course!) but Teddy plays too rough and will not listen to Zane when he says no.

I want to nip (no pun intented) this behaviour in the bud, before Teddy gets bigger than Zane.

Has anyone had this same experience?  What can i do to make Teddy realize that Zane is higher in the pack than him?  Any suggestions are welcome!!
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Lyn

Re: Kids and puppies
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 07:44:41 am »
I had the exact same issue with Bubba and my son. I had my son start feeding Bubba. I'd measure out the kibble then hand my son the bowl to give Bubba. We also got my son involved in teaching Bubba commands. That helped immensly.

I would get your son involved with teaching Teddy commands. Get Zane to give the command and the treats while your right there to make sure Teddy obeys. Even if you just start with sit since Teddy is still a little guy.

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 10:53:13 am »
Im no expert but the nipping will go away.I just think its a puppy thing.Im also no psycologist but in my opinion they already no whos in charge and see your kids as one of there brothers or sisters as they are in the home.Spotakiss is very good with Hayden my 4 year old.He plays with him but makes sure hes not as rough as he would be my husband.By the way Lyn Bubba reminds me of Spotakiss in that pic ,look.

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 11:42:25 am »
Completely off topic here, but.....

Lyn, can you direct me to a post with more pics of Bubba as a small puppy?  I am more familiar seeing the rough coat but it looks like Bubba is short haired. Teddy is short haired too.

Jules, is there a name for the little bump on the end of their nose?  I notice that Spotakiss (BTW - LOVE the name!) has the same bump as Teddy.  That's what made me decide on him - it was just sooo cute!  Here is a pic of Teddy's profile.

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 11:54:41 am »
Thanks for the great advice!

I will make sure I get the kids involved in his training.  I'm sure it will be a fun game for all!

Lyn

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 04:13:53 pm »
I have tons of pics of Bubba when he was a little guy. I sooo miss that age. lol

Here's a few... These are about 10-11 weeks. We didn't get Bubba until he was 9 weeks old. So I don't have any younger ones.

Offline megsat

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 04:47:32 pm »
This has nothing to do with anything you're talking about, but what a cute puppie! How can you not fall in love with a fuzzy thing like that! :)

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 11:49:06 pm »
Penny I never even noticed that bump.I picked him out from his spot on his cheek.