Author Topic: Kayzer is going to school! I also have a question???  (Read 4088 times)

Offline cuttles/sadieMay

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Kayzer is going to school! I also have a question???
« on: March 08, 2006, 08:50:04 am »
Well this is very exciting news, just had to share!
Kayzer will be starting Obedience training on April 3.
I just cant wait. Im sure he will try his best to embarass me, but that will be the fun in it I suppose.  :-[

I also have a question for all you helpful BPO'ers???
I will first tell the story!
A few weeks back some relatives were over visiting with their 2 1/2 year old little boy ( Demon child)
Kayzer was asleep on the floor and this kid goes over and jumps right on Kayzer and hurts him. Kayzer jumped up and growled at the kid at that time but that was it. The mother did nothing to this little boy to correct his behavior of course. She lets him treat animals any way he pleases and expects the dog to be disciplined. Not gonna happen the way she wants it done anyway! Well now Kayzer hates this little boy and he nipped him the other day,when the boy fell down near him!!! I have decided not to have these people over anymore, for this reason. BUT I have a neice that Kayzer now shows signs of mistrust toward because of this little boy! How can I make Kayzer see that not all little kids are going to hurt him? Will the obedience training help this issue?
Any comments or advice are more than welcome! Good or bad!
Thanks so much
Carole
« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 11:21:39 pm by cuttles/sadieMay »

Offline cuttles/sadieMay

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Kayzer is going to school! And I have a question???
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 09:53:06 am »
Can anyone help with this question? Or has anyone had simmilar experiences and do they grow out of these kind of behaviors?
Thanks agin!
Carole  ;D
« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 11:18:20 pm by cuttles/sadieMay »

Offline cuttles/sadieMay

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Kayzer is going to school! I also have a question???
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 11:22:39 pm »
Bump!   ;D ;D ??? ;D ;D

Offline nickerbokker

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • i'm a big boy now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 09:39:05 am »
i don't know anything about that.  i've got a 1 year old st that likes to eat people, so i'm obviously not the person to ask.  BUT....hyopefu lly someone here can help you. 
NICKI

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 09:46:31 am »
I think that obedience training will help a lot!  Also, with your niece....have him in a very controlled setting and let your niece have quiet and gentle petting so he can see that kids can be sweet.

Regarding the demon child:  I was at a Starbucks one day with my first Newf, Otis.  He was sitting sort of wrapped around my chair and I kept feeling him bob and weave.  I looked behind me and there was a demon child trying to poke his eyes.  That's when I learned the importance of educating parents.  The kid's mother had her back turned to this demon 3 year old and was chatting away with a friend.  BOY!  Did I let her have it.  The thing is if it had been any other dog, the kid would not have had an arm left....and she would have  blamed me...and Otis!  I don't remember EVER being so angry I think you should have a sit-down with the demon child's parents and tell them the importance of teaching a child how to be kind to animals.  That kid has a sworn enemy in your dog now...and that's NOT good.  In a similar situation, I think you are totally in your right to correct the child right in front of the parent to protect both your dog and the child!  It is that important and if the parent is offended, you wouldn't want them around anyway...in my humble opinion!!!

kristi

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 09:55:45 am »
Carole-

Sorry I missed your question & this thread! :-[

I had a German Shepard that didn't like anyone under 5' - kids or adults (previous owner baggage). I think they just moved too fast & that made him really nervous. He would follow them around the house & nip at their butts. :-X :o

It's too bad that this happened to him :(, BUT there is still a chance that you can remedy it!

I think that the training will help. Be sure to let the trainer know that this is a major concern (especially with your niece). They should have some behavior modification techniques that you can try with him.
If not, PM me & I can give you some suggestions! ;)

Keep us posted with the progress!
-k.

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 10:09:21 am »
i have seen alot of dogs in my class with issues like this.  We need to teach him that kids are a good thing.  Take him to a place where there could be some childern but be sure not to overwhelm him.  take his most favorite treat and only childern are allowed to give it to him.  at first he will be a little leary but he will learn that if he lets kids come up to him he gets this great treat.  that should help.  this is something that could very much be helped through obedience
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel

Offline Maggie's Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maggie, Simon and Oscar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 01:07:21 pm »
OK, I watch the Dog Whisperer every week, and something like this was on last week.  What he did was to bring 2 kids (his kids) around the dog, but they had to be very calm and not even look at the dog.  No eye-contact.  Then he sat them (the kids) on the floor, and they were still and quiet, and he let the dog check them out.  Eventually, when the dog realized that they were OK, then they could give him treats, and after awhile, slowly pet him and such.  By the end of the show, the dog was cool with these kids, but they had to still take it easy with others.  I don't know if this helps, or if it is possible for you to even try, I just thought I'd pass it on.  Talk to your new puppy trainers for sure.  Good luck.  And I'd teach that kid a lesson yourself if the parent's wont do it!!!
Stacy, Wes, and Maggie (Great Dane)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2006, 06:47:48 pm »
Horray for Kayzer!

I think that obedience will be great for him. It will make him  more confident and happier to know that he can please you.  ;D  Interacting with kids in positive situations will help him to resolve his current fear of them too.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2006, 10:18:26 pm »
I agree with everyone here.  Having kids feed him a buttload of treats while sitting near him and then eventually easing off the treats to just petting and loving.  He's young so if you work on this he should overcome it fairly quickly.

Training may help, but they would almost need practice children there for him to work with.  But it is good in general, so good luck with the obdience training.

Offline cuttles/sadieMay

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2006, 10:21:04 pm »
Thanks everyone for all the good advice! We have been letting Olivia feed Kayzer and give him treats and stuff and he is really starting to like her alot, BUT he had a little relapse the other day when she tried to take something away from him he nipped at her. I am sooooo worried that I wont be able to break him of this!!! Olivia ( my niece) is the sweetest little thing with animals there is, so I know that she has never been anything but nice to Kayzer, its just the other kid that freaked him out, Im sure. Kayzer reacts differently to both the bad kid and Olivia, He will follow Olivia around and give her kisses and goes to her to be petted, but he pretty much stays away from the little boy that hurts him so I know that he loves Olivia he just doesnt know if she will hurt him too... Cant wait to start Obedience and see if it makes a difference.
Oh I thought you all would like to know that I did give the mother of this child a piece of my mind when the jumping incident happened. I told her that I dont mind making sure that Kayzer knows he cant growel at the kids but she needs to teach her little boy how to treat animals!!! >:( I was so furious because her come back was that it was her mother in laws fault because they have always let him jump on their dog!!! Can you believe that?
Let me look after that kid for just one day!!!! >:( >:( >:(
Ok Im done ha ha
Thanks again
Carole

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2006, 10:23:08 pm »
Come ON!  Please let US jump on him....AND his mom!  What a horrible, horrible, senseless justification!  Where is her sense???

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2006, 10:55:26 pm »
I think the demon child needs crate training and obedience classes.  :P
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€