Author Topic: 1/2 dog topic, 1/2 not....  (Read 10561 times)

nickerbokker

1/2 dog topic, 1/2 not....
« on: May 25, 2005, 07:29:56 pm »
SO....i now have 2 80lb dogs, and i have a beautiful little red eclipse, that doesn't fit them LOL. .

my question to you is, aside from doing my own research, will you help me pick out a truck!  what trucks do you all have?  what fits the biggest dogs. .what is the best on feul? (keep in mind i live in LA and drive everywhere, and am in hellish traffic).  what breaks all the time, and what is a good and solid truck?

i am thinking about an Xterra.  also, possibly a tahoe or something similar. 

ANY FEEDBACK FROM MY BIG DOG PEOPLE WOULD BE WONDERFUL!

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

i also am super broke, so nothing TOO expensive!

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: 1/2 dog topic, 1/2 not....
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 07:50:38 pm »
Hi Nickerbokker. We have an older chevy extended cab. It works great with the kids and Judge. Lotsa room and when the weathers nice we have a tie up in the back for him.  Gas???? :o Im in Northern Ontario so 120$ to fill would likely be about 50$ for you.Depending on the price.
Likely not what your looking for but a full size truck works great for us.
Karen
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Offline Bear

• Paw-meister
  • The Bear Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 08:01:07 pm »
I'm almost positive my wife will suggest the Honda Element.... we'll see??!

nickerbokker

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 08:14:31 pm »
LOL, care to make a wager on that?

ugh, i really dont know how i feel about that vehicle lol. 

Offline NatsaintB

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2005, 08:31:09 pm »
Leo really likes riding around in our Izuzu Trooper.  It gets pretty good gas mileage too.  Much better than our Expedition.  I hate shopping for cars!  Good luck with whatever you choose and don't let those salesman rip you off! 

nickerbokker

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2005, 10:14:52 pm »
i have TOTALLY thought about a subaru!  my sister wants me to get a subaru or a hybrid since they are supposed to be "environmentall y friendly".  i really have to look into it more, but thanks for reminding me!

Offline bigdoglover

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2005, 06:35:55 am »
hi, i'm also car shopping right now-i was wondering what kind of mileage the dakota is getting? i like it and i think 2 dogs would fit in the back seat-i also was glad to hear about the dog ramp because my 92 pound 10 year old lab needs help getting into the trailblazer that i currently am driving.i love the trailblazer but am looking for something a little more dog friendly. a friend of mine has the element and it looks perfect fro a doggie mobile but is so odd looking i don't know if i could drive around in it. i think it gets good mileage too-i am checking out the toyota matrix and its twin the pontiac vibe-the vibe has big rebates now and the matrix has i think a $500 rebate. i know they are both great on gas-will fit a couple of dogs and people too. i have stopped people in parking lots that have them and so far everyone loves theirs.

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2005, 07:24:43 am »
I just bought a 2005 Toyota Martrix and it is awesome.  The price was great! It gets really good gas mileage (30city/32 highway).  Is like a cross between an SUV and a wagon so It has plenty of space for dogs.
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline bigdoglover

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2005, 07:52:11 am »
i like the matrix the vibe is running about $600 less than it and it is almost a clone of the matrix. which one did you get-the base or xr? auto or stick? i like the mileage and the space it has-lots of room for the dogs and people. the prices seem good also-is it peppy enough for you?

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2005, 08:13:14 am »
it is the base model, automatic.  I looked at the XR but the only difference was a body kit and fog lights... I didn't have a better engine or anything so I figured that wasent worth it.  I used to drive a 95 manual saturn wagon so this is ten times peppier then that car.  I think it is peppy enough but is not a car you can speed up real quick to pass people on the highway with.   Go to autos.msn.com and read the reviews on the vibe and matrix.  I went with the matrix because I think Toyota's are well made cars that will last.
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline bigdoglover

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2005, 08:21:09 am »
if i get one it may be hard to go from a chevy trailblazer with double the power to that! but, it would make me happy to pass up the gas stations since it gets almost double the mileage! i like they are higher up than a car is-thanks for the info. so far the best price i can get online is $15,225 for the base matrix with auto.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2005, 08:22:46 am by bigdoglover »

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2005, 08:28:00 am »
I just have a plain Ford Ranger, extended cab (2 full doors, 2 half door).  Both my guys fit in the extended cab part with the jump seats folder up.  I have four wheel drive that drives gas mileage down.  You probably don't need that in CA.  Lately it costs less than $30 to put gas in a little less than once a week.

I love my truck but I know I will outgrow it once I start having kids.  Hopefully by then gas prices will have gone down. 8)
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline morticiaangie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2005, 08:42:20 am »
Friend of mine bought the Vibe specifically for hauling the greyhounds in - one thing she was not happy with was the cracks and crevices that you are left with when the seats are folded in the down position - mind you - I don't have any problems with my dogs in the Tahoe - they have figured out that the best thing to do is get in lay down or get situated - but her's are a little more "delicate" than mine - long story short - she ended up trading it after a few months for the Subaru - she LOVES it - and says it is a little more roomy than the Vibe was. I personally love my Tahoe - but I wouldn't say that the gas mileage is the best - around 17 or 18 miles per gallon. It is a very comfortable car for all of us though (all of us being - me, husband, two kids, two greyhounds and the beagle!) - Good luck - car shopping stinks!!!
"The life given us by nature is short; but the memory of a well-spent life is eternal."
~ Cicero 106-43 BC

Offline Jason

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2005, 08:56:28 am »
The Toyota Matrix is a tempting car. I work on some advertising for Toyota and apparently, the Matrix was marketed towards the young, hip, 20-something, just out of college crowd. They found out after a few months that alot of senior citizens were buying them because they were affordable, roomy and lower to the ground (easier to get into). Sounds like a good car for big dog lovers too.

Oreo likes our 2000 Dodge Ram ext cab. He gets the ext part all to himself. My girlfriend and I have taken him on 12 hour trips without any compomise. Dodge trucks are not known for fuel efficiency though at 13 mpg. We also have a 2001 Prius and a Miata, but Oreo doesn't fit in either of those.

A friend of mine has a Dane/Lab mix (90 lbs) and just bought a Mini Cooper. It is a hatchback and the seats go down so there is a surprising amount of room in the back. Very good mpg too.

Offline bigdoglover

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2005, 09:18:30 am »
which subaru model, the outback? i've never driven one but a friend of a friend has the outback and she seems happy with it-don't know about mileage though